No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-15, 10:04pm

Default Noobish questions about startup & location

Skip to the bottom for the tl;dr version

So I just started my savings account for this hobby... I'm looking to get into boro glass blowing, I have an instructor that will be able to show me basic bead making and the annealing process but after that I'm on my own. Right now I just need an approximate goal to save towards (I've heard ~$1200?), and if anyone could point me in the direction of a "start-up" thread or a list of what I'm going to need to make pieces of a decent quality that would be amazing Also, if anyone knows where I could read up on all the beginner techniques/equipment/etc so I can get a "feel" for what I'm doing before I invest it would be greatly appreciated. My plan is to start with soft glass (as it's cheaper) until I get the basic techniques down then move to boro... I'm assuming this is the best plan of action? Or is boro so different to work with I'd be better off starting with it?

Also, my lease is up in August and I was planning on moving anyway (Which is around the time I should have enough saved, so rather convenient)... I know that a workspace is very important, so what should I be looking for? And is it possible to set up a kiln inside, or would it be at risk of being stolen outside? (I've only read a 'lil about them, not sure how they operate/heavy they are, I'm paranoid and right now don't live in the best of areas lol)

TL: DR
1) What equipment do I need for boro glass blowing?
2) I'm moving, what should I look for in a new place for a "workplace", and is it possible outside of owning/renting a house?

Oh, and yes, I do realize how forums work and how the search button works and intend to make full use of it while waiting on a response I just figured I was asking too many and too general of questions to really find out what I needed in a time-efficient manner. This is my first post, so I'm not sure how "USE THE SEARCH" people are, but that has been my experience in other forums so I just wanted to throw this out there ^.^
Old 2013-03-16, 8:09am

Equipment:
Torch (obviously)
Kiln
Oxygen tanks or oxygen concentrator
propane tanks or Natural gas line into work space
vent system over workspace
various tools for working glass
fire extenguisher
fireproof work top
didydium glasses for the type of glass you are working. these are different shades based on soft glass or boro.

2. workspace......I use the apartment that is over my garage. I have a natural gas line ran directly to the wall where my torch is, where I can connect the gas hose to it easily. If you are going to use a spare bedroom in your home and use propane tanks there is a way you can run a line into your house and leave the propane tanks outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-16, 8:18am

Boro is different enough that if I knew that's where I wanted to work, I'd start with boro. If you start with 104 and switch, there is a slight learning curve and given the difference in glass prices, 104 might be a good idea but, well, for me, I use a mini cc for 104 and switch out my torch for a cricket when I work boro. Torches aren't cheap so aim for one that works well with boro. I suspect you'll want tanked oxygen but the cricket is designed to work with oxy-con's so I can't tell you anything about tanked oxy.

I dunno... I can see it both ways but I think I'd start with boro if that's what I knew I wanted to work with.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-03-16, 10:00am
Sucks at being nice

Someone told you $1200 to get started?

If you are wanting to do larger boro your torch will probably cost more that. You might be able to find a used one for less, but not cheap by any means. A kiln large enough to anneal large pieces is going to set you back more than a grand. Then you will need to figure out your oxygen source. Buying tanks is not cheap so you might want to rent for a while. I know working steady with large masses of boro can burn through a k tank every day or 2. You MUST have very good ventilation. Plan on spending anywhere from $300 to $2000 on that just depending on how handy you are and if you can scrounge cheap materials. Then you will need hoses, glasses, tools and glass. Lots of glass! You will probably go through AT LEAST $500 in glass before you are good enough to sell a decent product. This is not cheap to do! With the legalization and medical legalization of pot the market for functional glass is pretty flooded so you have to be better than good to get your work in most of the shops. I am not putting this out there to scare you off. I say go for it if you have the opportunity. I just want to let you know that realistically you will have ten grand in a good set up before you know it. The transition from soft to boro isn't that easy so my opinion is if you heart is set on boro then start with that.

Old 2013-03-16, 12:38pm

How is the legalization of pot flooding the market with glass? Hate to show my ignorance--but I'm curious.
Old 2013-03-16, 2:13pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbaddley View Post
How is the legalization of pot flooding the market with glass? Hate to show my ignorance--but I'm curious.
I don't think you are showing ignorance. I was just stating my observations from a legal mary jane state. I have watched functional glass go mainstream and it's more acceptable to be a functional glass artist here. If you are in the right state you will no longer be prosecuted for creating pipes and bongs so there are more people getting in to this every day. Even old school glass artists are punching bowls it their creations. I have watched it go from an underground secretive world to people jumping on the band wagon. I have also heard from folks trying to sell their product complaining that the competition is worse by the day. Now that it is legal importers are flooding the market with cheap stuff just like Hobby Lobby's lampwork beads. The people I see that are making it in the biz are above average artists with unique, innovative work. The rest make enough to buy more glass and supplies and supplement their regular income. Like I said, these are just my observations from Colorado, not the gospel truth for every place on the planet.

Old 2013-03-20, 8:30am
funny mofo

Handy hint: clear boro is MUCH less expensive than boro with colors in it, and it will do everything colored boro will do from a physical standpoint. But yes, if you value your lungs, your eyes, and your time, $1200 is way too low for a boro setup.

And please... don't work without adequate ventilation (look for ventilation threads) and eye protection. You will be working with things that will poison you if you breathe them in, and you only get one set of eyes. Safety first is the way to go.

Last edited by AuntD; 2013-03-20 at 8:32am.