The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-29, 6:03pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Is Fusion going away? Do I need to stock up?
Yeah is the OP just asking in general or should I be afraid? I love fusion.
Old 2012-11-29, 7:34pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Nope, Fusion isn't going away, and you can get it directly from the manufacturers. I like the 32oz jar, lasts me at least a year!

Here's the website/store:

http://www.fusionproductsintl.com/ga...tegory_id=1263

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-11-29, 7:39pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I used Fusion for 10 years and I discovered Robyn's FosterFire Smooth N Tuff...
I will not buy anything else anymore! Just love love this bead release. I used to have stuck beads and broken bead release with Fusion and never had trouble with the Smooth N Tuff since I started using it. And the beads are so easy to get off the mandrels!

Old 2012-11-29, 7:48pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Nope, Fusion isn't going away, and you can get it directly from the manufacturers. I like the 32oz jar, lasts me at least a year!

Here's the website/store:

http://www.fusionproductsintl.com/ga...tegory_id=1263
Thank you!

Old 2013-03-03, 4:28am
Feminist Killjoy

I know this is an older thread, but once I tried Zippz bead release, I know I'll never try another. I'd tried several others and none of them impressed me at all. Either too "sandy" or impossible to remove from the bead without using a dremel. Zippz is smooth as velvet, almost never breaks for me, flame-dries, and removes easily and cleanly from the bead without ever needing to use a reamer! I am in love!
Old 2013-03-03, 10:45am

Alice's bead release for 104 coe is the only one I have tried. Just add water. It can handle abuse. About 90% of the time out of the kiln the beads just slide off no soaking needed .

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-03-03, 10:54am

Where do you get Zippz?
Old 2013-03-03, 4:46pm

Mama G's!!!!

Barbara
Old 2013-03-03, 11:29pm
one day at a time

KRAG Mudd is the easiest for removing beads from the mandrels and leaves the cleanest holes. For transparent glass, there is no way I could ever use anything else. I did like the Zippz though.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:26am

I'm a newb. I'm using Dip N Go Sludge. I've never had a bead stick, not one, not even my first, most crappy beads. I let them sit in water a few mins. & the beads come right off the mandrels.
Old 2013-03-14, 4:50am

I used Fusion for years and loved it but tried Universal about a year ago and have used it ever since.
Old 2013-03-14, 7:42pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

OK, just for purposes of being informed consumers here is some interesting info: bead release is a non-Newtonian fluid. It doesn't act like water. You are not "buying someone else's tap water". You can take a tall full glass of tap water and add a cup of salt and it won't spill over. If you buy 32 oz dry bead release it will make around 16 oz of wet release. I did the math over and over because I ship to Europe. It is around the same end price to the consumer for me to ship dry or wet, and then the consumer gets to hassle with mixing it.

I buy and use distilled water for my release, because the North Texas water district uses additives that are supposed to make the water "softer" and work to break down bead release over time. I recommend using bottled to distilled water to dilute or mix your bead release.

Also if you have a bead release that is like mine (not Fusion) then when it looks extra rough or forms a ridge when dipping your mandrel you need to add water.

Viscosity: think of viscosity as how well your bead release flows and coats your mandrel. If it's colder then your bead release will seem thicker and need more water to flow smoothly. If the temp goes up then your bead release will flow more easily. That's why one day your release can seem perfect and the next day it will seem too thick or thin.

For releases that are similar to mine, a thin coating will take more punishment.
Old 2013-03-17, 10:58am
Pincel de Fuego

You're talking fluid ounces, which refers to volume, not weight. By buying it dry, you would be in fact saving money because you would be eliminating the weight of water. This doesn't just have to do with money, also you are saving energy because you're not transporting something which already exists in the final destination. But I'm just thinking out loud here, let me know if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't have thought about the distilled water though, that makes complete sense.

Lots of good info in this thread!

/
/
Old 2013-03-17, 11:07am
Pincel de Fuego

You're talking fluid ounces, which refers to volume, not weight. By buying it dry, you would be in fact saving money because you would be eliminating the weight of water. This doesn't just have to do with money, also you are saving energy because you're not transporting something which already exists in the final destination. But I'm just thinking out loud here, let me know if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't have thought about the distilled water though, that makes complete sense.

Lots of good info in this thread!

/
/
Old 2013-03-17, 11:08am
Pincel de Fuego

Sorry for the double post, my Internet was lagging and my message wasn't showing up....

/
/
Old 2013-03-17, 11:43am
addicted to dichro

I use everything but mostly foster fire smooth and tuff.

Old 2013-03-23, 5:51am

I've tried to make Pandora-style beads on thick mandrels but the release cracks at the touch of the fire. I've been using Super Sludge for years and never had any problem until now, with the thick mandrels. Can someone tell me why is this happening?
Old 2013-03-23, 6:31am

idk, but i use foster fire tuff and smooth for boro beads and soft glass alike, and it's great. i almost never have the release crack off during torching, and after soaking in warm water it's easy to ream out with a diamond file.
Old 2013-03-23, 6:35am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaBead View Post
I've tried to make Pandora-style beads on thick mandrels but the release cracks at the touch of the fire. I've been using Super Sludge for years and never had any problem until now, with the thick mandrels. Can someone tell me why is this happening?
Sometimes the new rods have an oil on them, even from peoples skin. Wash tem real good and even put them in the flame to sort of break them in. Make sure your bead release is thin too.

Old 2013-03-23, 6:58am

I stumbled on Dip-N-Go Sludge and never have a problem. Dries in the flame or overnight (usually in the flame for me.)

Kelley
Mega-Minor on tanked Oxy
Old 2013-03-23, 7:04am

Default release

I've tried 5 other products over the last few years, and I love KRAG mudd.

It's smooth, air or flame dry, and
Old 2013-03-25, 6:11pm

chiming in for foster fire smooth and tuff, working soft glass its perfect for me, love it

Old 2013-03-26, 5:35am
Queen Bee

I have a heck of a time getting my beads off the mandrel. I use Fusion, and soak them, but it still takes a lot of effort to get the beads off. Maybe I'm using it too thick?

I'd love to try the Krag Mudd for transparents - can someone point me to where I could buy it? Thanks!!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-03-26, 7:08am
Disconnected

Donna, you have to call the number on their web page
http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/krag_mudd.php

I've been trying it for a few weeks, I like it except for the graphite, which makes dipping and cleaning quite messy.

I'm also trying Smooth and Tuff and I like it a lot. I was surprised by the texture at first, it's not really liquid, more like stiff-beaten egg whites. I tried to thin it just a little (with distilled water) and it doesn't seem to thin down like other releases.

I don't understand how the Newtonian fluid theory applies to bead release in my every day life, sorry, I'm not left-brained at all. Why would it be a hassle to mix it myself? It isn't with Alice's. The only thing I don't like about Alice's is that it's gritty and I can't use it for transparent core beads.
Either way, Smooth and Tuff works great for me and I'm probably going to stay with it.