No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-16, 11:40pm
Lifelong Student

Default Encase or not

Is there a list of glass that should not be encased or should not be used to encase with? If not can we start one?
Old 2014-12-17, 12:19am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Red
Some of the Lauscha unless it's with Lauscha clear & even then sometimes it cracks.
Moretti Opalino doesn't encase well for me.

I don't encase as much as some of the others. They'll probably chime in.

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-12-17, 12:27am
Lifelong Student

Vivian, red in general doesn't like to be encased, or just red launcha?
Old 2014-12-17, 1:21am
Naysayer

Well they say don't encase 'hot colors', reds, oranges, corals, yellows. But I'm not sure if it's a matter of thin encasement vs thick or what. I and others do marbles with those colors, I've made encased twisty, rose (etc) beads with those colors so I just don't know myself after 10+years

But for sure not opalinos or alabastros, this includes the CIM glass that are marked opals. Mostly they look translucent but to be sure check here http://creationismessy.com/palettes.aspx
Old 2014-12-17, 1:36am
Slogan Challenged...

I've heard that about most of the reds, yellows and oranges, although I think I heard that light red opaque was okay. Use a thin layer of clear first to help minimize the cracking. That seems to work with most problem glass.

Not the CIM opals though. I've never been able to encase those, shame!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-12-17, 6:39am

Have you seen this thread? Cracking and Crazing: the place to list incompatible glass combinations

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-12-17, 8:38am
Glass-aholic

There have been a few threads over the years about this.
There is usually a lot of info in the clear threads too about what does not work.

I have had success encasing reds with cim cirrus. A solid red, no core of clear even. And it's really pretty

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-12-17 at 8:40am.
Old 2014-12-17, 8:40am

In theory, it's great to have a list of glass colors to not encase.

However, I think it's important for a lampworker to go through their own trial and error to figure out what does or doesn't work for them. If I listened to "don't encase red, orange, yellow" I would have never tried these colors when experimenting with colors for my veining tutorial.

(Left to Right) Effetre Coral Mango, Effetre Scarlett

(Left to Right) CiM Alley Cat, Effetre Zucca

Old 2014-12-17, 9:08am

Lauscha needs to be annealed a little higher than Effetre but you can encase red with it. I have some photos on FB showing Lauscha encased Effetre beads. I've encase these colors through the years myself but I think you need to do trial beads before you make an entire set.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-12-17, 9:42am

Sometimes it is batch related. I have nice reds that encase fine while a new batch does not.... I even have a batch of topaz that will not encase... It is not all about the color but sometimes it is just the batch run.

My favorite is Lauscha reformulated!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2014-12-18, 1:42am
Artistically Absorbed

I have had some colors I couldn't encase and needed that exact shade that I have mixed with clear. Then started my bead with a thin layer of clear ,next the mixed color and finally encased. Reds work nicely this way because they don't seem to lose color. (Transparent problem children) This also worked for me with a batch of Gelly Sty I had. I know this may not work with all colors, but with some it does the trick. The most crackable glass I know of is CIM Cranberry... pretty stuff... but runs with scissors and doesn't play well with others.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-12-29, 6:29pm

Mermaid cracked after being encased in super clear. Not sure if anyone else has tried it.