Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-17, 7:01am

Default Frit COE

Why do I only see frit in 96 (or around there) COE? I use, more like abuse, moretti. I know all the sellers say you can use it with 104 but use it sparingly due to compatibility issues. Well, I don't really want to use it sparingly I wanna roll it around 'till I know I have the coverage I want. Is there someone who sells 104 frit? Why why why 96COE? Is 96COE better overall?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-17, 7:06am
Viking Flame Keeper

I think it's because the COE 96 glass is more interesting reaction wise than the COE 104 glass.
You can get some really neat reactions and reducing effects with the furnace glass frit that is not available in the standard Effetre range. Plus, there are some really awesome colours (like wonderful pinks) in the COE 96 ranges.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-01-17, 7:08am

I've tried crushing up Effetre glass to make my own frit blends and all I got was UGLY! COE 104 frit blends are spotty --they don't spread out among the other frit bits and the overall effect is a nasty looking bead! COE 96's glass, for some reason, make excellent frit! They spread out, take on patterns, etc. If you don't want to worry about using too much frit, buy some Uroboros! Their white is great, the Almond is great, black, clear, etc. Howaco glass sells it, among some others. It's good stuff. I use it often.

Candy

Old 2007-01-17, 8:52am

There are a couple of sellers out there that sell 104 frit.

www.ggglass.com has some 104 blends and www.howacoglass.com used to have 104 frits but I can't find them now, maybe she's out?

It's not too difficult to make your own. You could use an old coffe grinder (don't use it for coffee again though!) or melt a blob into a glass of cold water and it will break up into bits. I agree with Candy though, it's just not as pretty as the 96COE frits. They are much more reactive and the colors are much more saturated. Because of that you really don't need to use alot to color your beads.

Old 2007-01-17, 10:35am
Striking-impared...

Double helix has 104 frit -- kinda neat, but not cheap.

Old 2007-01-17, 8:51pm

Dawn beat me to it! I was going to post that Gail (ggglass) & JameyLynn (howaco) both had 104 frits. Gail has a bunch of blends--JameyLynn just has one blend & then she also offers the single colors (the rod colors) I believe--you'll have to email Jamey--she doesn't have them up on her new site yet.
Gail's stuff is cool--you can order it in "fine" or "coarse"!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies