No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-28, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner View Post
Sarah: I am sorry. The remark I made is just my assumption from the responses I have received. I respect you for the tutorials that you have made. You are selling information from your own personal experience in working with glass and colors.
That's okay. Many thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-28, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
Yes, nice post Kimberly!

Caution: I am seriously about to jump up on a soap box. Sorry if I offend anyone. That's not my intention, this thread popped up at the wrong time for me personally. The following is not directed towards any one person or the OP of this thread. It's generally written based on the negativity that I've dealt with as an author of tutorials. So much so that I've sated on several occasions that I'd not longer author them. I've since changed my mind. I'm writing another one now and I'm doing it because I WANT TO.

Before I ever wrote my first tut, I was asked to do it by a quite a few of my fellow lampworkers. I knew my business would be slowing down due to the economy and I needed the incentive to move on to new glass discoveries to boot. Putting my designs out there seemed like a great way to stimulate my already growing need to do that, even though it at the same time made me terribly uncomfortable. I also knew that I would be needing the extra cash if I wanted to stay in business through this tough economical time.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't afford to take two weeks off from work with NO pay while I write and publish a free "ebook", "tutorial", "on-line lesson", or whatever you want to call it. I had already spent weeks with NO pay while I developed some of my designs in terms of color experimentation, form and trial and error. The "House of Vettii" design took WEEKS of experimentation before I got the EXACT look that I was after. I made no money when I came up with that design. Now, today, people can make that bead if they want to without having to make the same sacrifice that I had to make and they can even sell their bead, should they choose to do so.

As for giving free info help to people that need it, here in the forum, I admit that I don't do it very often. I come to LE to read and it's rare that I even post. I'm not giving technical advice in the forums very often because I'm a basically just a lurker. I come here to read and rarely respond because I don't have time to get wrapped up in threads. When I do that, I lose precious torch, family and even ME time. I sell my tuts here and since I do, I paid for a banner so that I wouldn't be taking advantage of wonderful resource without giving something back.

When I started out as a lampie, all I wanted to do was make beads. When I lost my job, all I wanted to do was make and sell beads. Somewhere along the line, I began to mentor several different people because they asked me to. I had been emailing step by step FREE instructions for beads that I was selling as my CURRENT BODY OF WORK to pretty much anyone that asked for the info. I receive and answer MANY emails about technique, design, color, safety, processes, marketing, sales, puchasing resources and anything else that I might have left out. I do it because I want to. I enjoy the personal exchanges and knowing that I helped someone makes me feel pretty great. Personally, I've never been an asker of questions in the world of lampwork and jewelry. I love to figure things out for myself. To me, solving a mystery is so much fun. Everyone is not like that though and I recognize and respect that.

I've been making beads for three and a half years. Never have I seen free tutorials that were as extensive in instruction and detail as what is available today on the market for a low price. I say "low price" because it IS virtually NOTHING in comparison to the hard work that went into to making the discoveries that people are now sharing in their written works. It saves the purchaser a ton of time and money. I didn't make a dime my first year selling beads. I took a HUGE loss on my taxes. Hey, if some would rather do that, then alrightythen, don't buy tutorials.

I too am sick of the judgements placed on both tutorial writers and buyers. It is very unfair to question some one's right to make money on skills, designs and techniques that they spent their own hard earned dollars to learn. Just as it's wrong to poke those who want to pay for the info. I have been called everything from a "sell-out" to a "selfish artist who's only it for the money" since I started selling tutorials. Never mind that I was urged to do it. I didn't jump on any band wagon either. . .Some of us were actually ASKED to do this by those that couldn't afford classes or just didn't have access to them.

While there are quite a few people who are bitching, complaining, name-calling and whining about tutorials not being "FREE" to all that want them, there are MANY, MANY more who actually appreciate what we, the authors have written. The stinky BS emails that I've received about this has been far outweighed by the number of "thank you" emails that I have saved in my inbox. The latter reminds me that I have not made the wrong decision when I wrote my tutorials. I have pictures people sent me of their work and have been able to witness some very talented people, grow their skill and morph my designs into places that would have never occurred to me.

It's really a beautiful thing to witness but I stand by what I said before. I can't and won't give away step by step illustrated instructions on how to create my CURRENT BODIES OF WORK to the masses for free. I can't afford to do it. I have bills to pay and I pay my bills with the proceeds of my work. Am I supposed to move into a local mission and ask them if I can torch at night in the soup kitchen after it closes so that I won't have to pay a mortgage payment, electricity bill or buy groceries? Dedicating my life to being a weird sort of lampwork nun who needs no worldly possessions as her mission is to help other lampworkers progress their careers and make money? I think NOT. I'm happy to help as much as I can but I have to make a living too.

Sorry for this attitude but I got another one of those bullshit, "How dare you put a price on your knowledge" emails yesterday and I'm at the end of my rope. This post wasn't directed at any person posted in this thread but since we are on the subject, I couldn't keep my fingers from wasting time by typing all of what will likely fall on deaf ears. I should perched my butt at my torch two hours ago instead of posting but like a I said, I'm at end the end of my rope.

Have a great holiday everyone. . .I know I will. I feel hellafine now that I got this off of my chest. Sorry if I offended anyone but all of this had to be said or else I'd have had another crappy day as I stewed over all of the negative tutorial mumbo-jumbo-blah-blah-yada-yada-tut-writers-are-selfish-and-they-suck opinions and emails. I'm a pretty laid back person, but really, this has gotten to be a bit "much". Sorry too that I've been redundant on a few points here, but panties are seriously wedged in my butt right now.

Last edited by Ashtonjewels; 2008-12-28 at 12:23pm.
Old 2008-12-28, 12:35pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Lydia,

Thank you for taking the time to come and tell your opinion. I am sorry that you have had people sending you personal emails on why you don't do your indepth tutorials of your own personal style beads for free.

I have personally watched your work evolve and I must say "impressive" describes you in a nutshell!

I sure hope you feel better for letting out your frustrations for what you have been through lately.

Oh, please get those panties out of your butt. The "Camel Toe" look ain't so cute

Sara

Old 2008-12-28, 12:36pm

You are absolutely right Lydia! I love the tutorials and think the tutorial writers deserve every cent they earn from them and will continue buying them as long as they are available.
Old 2008-12-28, 12:53pm
Honey Badger

Lydia, anyone who sends you (or any of the tut authors) emails like that is a pathetic asshole. What nerve some people have! UGH!
Old 2008-12-28, 1:02pm

Sara, thank you! They popped out as soon as I hit the post button. Ah, I can breath now. Honestly, my response wasn't at all posted with you posts in mind. Perhaps my rant didn't even have a place here. I would have started a thread, but dang. . .That could have only made the atmosphere in this section even worse. Actually, I probably shouldn't have posted at all but I have suffered a few good cries over the way I've been treated and things that have been said to me. I guess I posted it in case anyone who sent me words of nasty to my email happened to be reading this. Anyway, I'm sorry if I took your thread off track. It takes a LOT for me to let loose, so please know that my post was coming from a really painful place. Thank you to for the nice compliments!!

Thank you Carmen. I am SO glad that you've enjoyed them. Your graciousness and encouragement is part of what makes this worth while for me.

Old 2008-12-28, 1:03pm

Thank you Miss Moonie!! I should put your statement on my web page. I likes it a lot! lol

Old 2008-12-28, 1:52pm
Enabler

Lydia, I've been a great admirer of your work for a long time. But that fact aside, your attitude and graciousness in the midst of the recent tutorial threads are precisely why I purchased three of your tutorials yesterday. Kudos to you for rising above so much of the negativity and thank you for that brilliant post!

Old 2008-12-28, 1:58pm

Just my 2 bits worth,50% of the tutorials are worth $ and in turn invaluble information.
The other 50% are kind of are just not ,and if i may say ,is fueled by greed.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-12-28, 2:05pm

I'm saddened there has been such an uproar (in so many facets) with the tutorials that have been graciously authored and made available electronically.

I have very little access to classes (not only because of where I live, but due to time constraints and the necessity for babysitting and all the rest). Therefore, I'm most grateful that tutorials have sprung up to fill a huge void in my life. I discovered lampworking later in life than I would have liked. To be able to hasten the learning curve is worth a great deal to me so that I can get on with my own creations while I'm still able to! Tutorials make that happen for me.

I haven't taken the time to personally thank the tutorial authors for the works I've purchased from them (mainly because I've yet to have a chance to use them!) but I have purchased quite a number of them. I'd like to make this a huge and public THANK YOU to all the tutorial authors to date who make glass accessibility more feasible for some of us who would be hard pressed to gain the required knowledge via other means. I consider this a true gift which can have no pricetag attached. [/sappiness]
Old 2008-12-28, 2:18pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Karen,

You made 2 very good points in your post, without pointing fingers at anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanokaren View Post
Just my 2 bits worth,50% of the tutorials are worth $ and in turn invaluble information.
And just how do we determine what is "invaluable information"? This is a question that might be a useful tool for those who may want to make a successful tutorial.
Quote:

So, what makes us feel that 50% aren't? And is this going to be a trend we will see in the future?

As for those of you who do write tutorials, this thread in no way attacks YOU! It is about tutorials for sale in general and what people think. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one.

Sara

Old 2008-12-28, 2:43pm

Quote:

Karen
Volkano Exotik
OMG! I really disagree with this.

How do you determine which is fueled by greed? The one you find helpful but I don't like or the one you don't like and I do?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-12-28, 2:59pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Well Avena, it's time for you to fire up that torch and put these tutorials to good use.

But please don't think that by buying a tutorial it will replace actual time practicing. And don't let the "learning curve" scare you. This is an important time in beadmaking where you learn to grow, develop and acquire a sense of accomplishment.

Sara

Last edited by midniteburner; 2008-12-28 at 3:01pm. Reason: spelling, what else?
Old 2008-12-28, 3:01pm

another 2 bits worth,,,,It takes alot of effort and time to produce information for others and very generous,especialy when very unique.I guess I am saddened by the fighting and remember when I was a newbie and new to this forum the sharing of the simpler techniques and info when a question was asked ,,,it felt refreshing and happy,,,,,,
BUTT... everyones got one......I love this quote hahahha

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-12-28, 3:04pm
Entropy increasing....

If information is valuable to YOU, it's valuable in formation to YOU. Whether I consider it valuable really doesn't matter.

I'm writing a tutorial at the moment, not on making beads, and let me tell you it's one hell of a lot of work. Much, much more work than teaching a class would be. I could have taught 10 classes already, easy.
Old 2008-12-28, 3:28pm
Mr. Anne

As, if I should be one to give my opinion on tutorials! LOL! I know there is free information on how to make a certain type or kind of bead, out there for the world to see, free. But I have a few comments on this issue: 1) There are Lampworkers out there who want to take a certain lampworkers class, but just can't afford to pay the price to fly, and get a hotel (if needed), and take time off of work, as well as pay for their favorite lampworkers price for a one or two day class. A Tutorial is a great way for these folks to be able to learn their favorite lampworkers "Techniques" on how "They" make that certain type or kind of bead (Note: I don't believe this takes much away from traveling instructors, because, I believe most people take your class, to learn your techniques in person, and to get to say I met "Whomever the instructor is" in person, and they signed my book, or I went out to eat with them, or because they learn better by watching) . 2) Although, once agian their is free information out there on how to make a certain type or kind of bead. Each Lampworker have different "Techniques" on how they make that bead. Every single lampworkers bead is unique, in that is is a one of a kind, in the whole world. I know allot of lampworkers can come very,very close to making a bead that looks like another lampworkers, but the fact is, they can't copy it exactly! So, What other lampworkers are really paying for in my opinion, is for a "A Individules take or Technique" from a lampworker, they admire or like.

If you take two, fantastic lampworkers, and wrote them both an exact same email (With-Out) pictures, telling them what you would like for a special order set. I would bet you would get back two different looking sets! They may be similar but they won't be the same.

So, I'm thinking that other Lampworkers are buying a certain lampworkers "Technique" on how to make that bead. With the eaxct same type or kind of bead, I would bet that if two different Lampworkers made a tutorial on how to make that bead, that "Both" tutorials would be totally different from each other.

Just my thoughts, but then again I don't make beads! LOL!
Have a great New Year!

Quote:
I've noticed that in the past few months(since my absence) tutorials for purchase have become quite popular. It seems everyone wants in on this venue of selling information, even though alot of it is in the archives of LE and WC and it's free. Just do a search and you will see.

Don't get me wrong please...tutorials for purchase isn't a bad thing. I know it takes a long time to put together an e-book.

I do think some people are taking this to the extreme on info that has been published and shared by many already and for FREE.

So, here is my question:

Do you think the "tutorial for puchase" concept has gone overboard?

Sara

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
, The Future, Don't Equal, The Past.
Old 2008-12-28, 3:53pm

Mr Anne!!!! Excellent veiw and nicely said.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-12-28, 4:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
You are absolutely right Lydia! I love the tutorials and think the tutorial writers deserve every cent they earn from them and will continue buying them as long as they are available.
What she said!

Lydia, I look forward to your new tutorial!

Old 2008-12-28, 4:26pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

For me a tutorial is not meant to replace "skill" but to help guide me in developing my own creative style. I am not a newbie but still lack much creative know-how to achieve certain looks or technical know how.

I keep reading about "so and so only wrote it cause they are greedy...money hungry, etc." This stumps me? Since when is it NOT ok to make a living? It sounds to me there may be some "sour grapes". Many artists use different venues to make a living... what's so wrong with that? It's the nature of having to support yourself and make a living off of what we enjoy.

I have purchased a few tutorials and they have been a great tool in helping me advance in lampworking. I will continue to purchase them and continue to support my fellow lampwork artists who have taken their time, spent their energy and offered their information in an ebook format. I don't expect something for nothing, however I do feel the tone here has changed somewhat and I am SUPER intimidated to ask "how is ____ made/done/colored"

Until I get to the point that I "know everything", I feel e-books are a valuable asset to the lampwork community as a whole.

With Respect,

site is not yet available

Old 2008-12-28, 4:28pm
Cat Lady

The lampworking tutorial economy is young. Authors are still experimenting to learn what works well in a tutorial and what price the market will bear. If someone markets a tutorial that people perceive as not offering enough value for its price, that tutorial won't sell well. Authors will adjust what they offer in pay tutorial form and buyers will refine their sense of what they're looking for. This is a natural and healthy process for a new-ish market. I'm glad to see authors going out on a limb. If the content of a tutorial doesn't interest me, I just won't buy it.

I'm very glad that people are writing tutorials. The quality of explanation and photographs in a good e-book tutorial would often not exist if there were no way for the artist to be compensated for their large time investment. I don't see paying for a tutorial as being morally better or worse than taking a class. In either case it's up to me to practice and to engage my own creativity if I want to develop a personal body of work. Reading a tutorial doesn't discourage me from doing that.

It's impossible to say whether pay tutorials have a direct effect on the amount of free information sharing that happens in the lampworking community. As a long time reader, though, I'm more concerned about the chilling effect of intense forum negativity. Issues like intellectual property rights are very important and need to be discussed. The ultimate answer that the community arrives at is only part of what matters though. The way the community treats itself has an impact on its long term health, too.
Old 2008-12-28, 4:39pm
She's Back & Burnin'

David,

Thank you for taking the time to come and give your opinion. Yes, we all understand that you don't make beads but do have an interest in what happens in this community. And you should. You have been connected (at the hip LOL!) with us for many years now.

You stated:

So, I'm thinking that other Lampworkers are buying a certain lampworkers "Technique" on how to make that bead. With the eaxct same type or kind of bead, I would bet that if two different Lampworkers made a tutorial on how to make that bead, that "Both" tutorials would be totally different from each other.

David, I sure hope you are right about this statement. If not, we could have some real nasty situations taking place.

Sara

Old 2008-12-28, 4:47pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Quote:
David,

Thank you for taking the time to come and give your opinion. Yes, we all understand that you don't make beads but do have an interest in what happens in this community. And you should. You have been connected (at the hip LOL!) with us for many years now.

You stated:

David, I sure hope you are right about this statement. If not, we could have some real nasty situations taking place.

Sara

Me and Helen both have tutorials for Pansies, both different, both im sure made n constructed differently, different price points, etc
I think there is a market for both, some people want to learn how I do mine, some people want to learn how she does hers.
no issue there..

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-28, 5:04pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeRoRo View Post
For me a tutorial is not meant to replace "skill" but to help guide me in developing my own creative style. I am not a newbie but still lack much creative know-how to achieve certain looks or technical know how.
RoRo, I am so glad to see you make this statement! I would hate for anyone to be mislead into thinking buying a tutorial will replace torchtime.

Quote:
I keep reading about "so and so only wrote it cause they are greedy...money hungry, etc."
Yes, this has been happening in other threads. I am not allowing any name calling here. That would be nonproductive and off the actual topic.

Quote:
I do feel the tone here has changed somewhat and I am SUPER intimidated to ask "how is ____ made/done/colored"
This is the statement that bother's me. You aren't the 1st to mention it in this thread either. It is sad though because that is how we became such a close knit community to begin with.

I am sorry I hacked apart your response.

Sara

Old 2008-12-28, 5:49pm
Mary Lockwood

I can't say that I think the tutorials have gone too far because I don't have enough of them to be able to discern if some only contain watered down, repeated information that could be had for free elsewhere with a simple two word search on most online forums.

However, I remember that exact same argument being made about Passing The Flame, yet it sold volumes at $75 a pop and nobody cared it was all full of stuff that was free online if you had the desire to look for it. I learned a lot from that book myself and didn't care that it has information in it that was available elsewhere. I wanted to hear what that particular person had to say and I paid to read it.

If I see a tutorial and know I can find out how to do it somewhere else and save myself $15...then i won't buy the tutorial UNLESS I want to know what that particular person has to say on the subject. That makes it worth the price.

For instance, if Kim Affleck has an encased floral tutorial out, I would be more likely to buy hers than Mary Lockwood's. I don't care what Mary has to say about it, I want to know what Kim has going on there. Buyers are smart, they know what is what.

I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone writing a tutorial for sale. People have choices, competition is good for everybody. No problemo.

If someone comes out with a 'how to dip mandrels' tutorial I might roll my eyes, but beyond that...lol.

~~Mary

Old 2008-12-28, 6:19pm
Mom to 20 paws

Excellent post Moth, Mr. Anne, Lydia.

I dont think tutorials have gone too far. I own a lot of tutorials, some because I wanted to learn that bead or the process, some because I love what that artist stands for and want to help them out.

I think it is up to the individual why they buy them or not. Even if I could learn to do a Anne Rickets bead from free info I would not. I think she is fab and I love her attitude so therefore I would buy anything to help her out. So like I said its for different reasons. Moth I feel the same way about, Lydia on the other hand I buy them for the awe factor, My God it gives me great pleasure to see how she does her beads because of her talent. People have to decide for there own.

As far as the authors charging a fee, you better frickin believe they should. My opionion is they are sold to cheap. Lydia is so right about you are getting a tut with all the problems worked out for you, my goodness that saves everyone alot of time and wasted money on glass. Its like you get to bring these artist into your studio for a private lesson. Can you imagine how much that would cost to do. Yes charge for your tut and think about increasing your fees but do not feel guilty or burdened by others telling you it should be free. I wonder how many of those people work hours they put in are for free. Do they think the flow magazine should be free also. What about when you go to the grocery store and buy an item do you get it for free. The grocery stores could afford to give it to you for free far more than any artist. Just think about that.

I think there will be growing pains with the tuts yes, but I definately think there is a good market for them and it will continue. As frustrated I was in my other thread it showed me alot, I could just say screw it no more tuts. No I will continue to support most of the tut authors because really they are awesome and so is their product.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-28, 6:39pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I can't say that I think the tutorials have gone too far because I don't have enough of them to be able to discern if some only contain watered down, repeated information that could be had for free elsewhere with a simple two word search on most online forums.
I am afraid that may end up being what it comes to. I sure hope not.

Quote:
However, I remember that exact same argument being made about Passing The Flame, yet it sold volumes at $75 a pop and nobody cared it was all full of stuff that was free online if you had the desire to look for it. I learned a lot from that book myself and didn't care that it has information in it that was available elsewhere. I wanted to hear what that particular person had to say and I paid to read it.
Oh yes, how could we all forget Corina! LOL!!! But you have to remember that she took you by the hand and didn't take for granted that you knew anything. I also learned a great deal from her, ummmm, like that I was supposed to sit BEHIND the torch. I think she peed her pants when she discovered I had the flame blowing across my face. LOL!!!

Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone writing a tutorial for sale. People have choices, competition is good for everybody. No problemo.

If someone comes out with a 'how to dip mandrels' tutorial I might roll my eyes, but beyond that...lol.

~~Mary
I too am waiting to see the tutorial on dipping mandrels, cleaning out bead release etc. I am sure it happen!

Jen: You are the very first response that states, "I own a lot of tutorials, some because I wanted to learn that bead or the process, some because I love what that artist stands for and want to help them out.

You love what the artist stands for is a perfect answer! You are going to support your favorite beadmaker whether it be buying, bidding or just giving them warm, fuzzy rah-rahs. We all wish we had more supporters like you!!!

Sara

Last edited by midniteburner; 2008-12-28 at 6:46pm. Reason: adding
Old 2008-12-28, 7:15pm

Boy simple questions sure can stir up a hornets nest. First Lydia, I love the tutorial I bought from you. I will buy more as skill and money warrant. Why because I love your beads and the style is one that I don't have a good grasp of yet. Kimberly, wow the tutorial in The Flow this month is wonderful. Thank you so much The Community is so enhance by your generosity. Sarah you are a wonderful beadmaker and I was just showing your stuff to my niece today. Each of you is deserving of the moneys you get from your tutorials. There are many others as well. I as a consumer of tutorials have the choice to buy or not. It is my job to research and decide what I will find benificial to my working style. I don't see why anyone should complain about the paultry sums charged. In the olden days this info was closely guarded and only learned after years in an apprenticeship. So keep on doin' what yur doin'. P#$% on the compainers.

Old 2008-12-28, 7:26pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Yes, I too see it as "tacky" to write someone with the complaint that they are charging for the tutorial they have made! That is the their right, just as it is their right to say how it can be used. But let's be realistic...

If you "Ms Tutorial Writer" put out a tutorial don't be suprised to see the same exact version of your bead on E-Bay or Etsy! There will ALWAYS be one (usually more) that will do it. This is just fair warning. Some have already come to deal with this issue and give their approval.

On to the regular scheduled program.

Sara

Old 2008-12-28, 7:32pm
Don't dis The Cheese

(((Lydia))))

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2008-12-28, 7:33pm

Thanks you guys for being so understanding about my earlier rant. I so much appreciate the kind words and support. I was scared to come back to this thread. I thought I might have encouraged a spork and cheese curd riot in Sara's thread! This thread was chugging along pretty good without my input. Nice rational discussion. Boy do I wish all of the touchy subject threads would go half as well as this one. Then again, if they did, what the heck would I do with this big stock pile of popcorn? Ah!! Free popcorn with your tutorial purchase? Nah, then I'd have to ship stuff. lol

David, Ann is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her. You are such kind hearted and generous souls.