No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-31, 12:11pm
Who me?

Amy, Hayley,

Instead of vague comments, could you please explain your perspective on Schermo's post an how you perceive it as an insult to anyone.
Old 2008-12-31, 12:22pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
Amy, Hayley,

Instead of vague comments, could you please explain your perspective on Schermo's post an how you perceive it as an insult to anyone.
perhaps they could do that in a separate thread or by PM for those interested? i'd hate to see this thread derailed...

Pyro is just looking for perspectives on the viability of her (him?) writing a goddess tut...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-12-31, 12:24pm
da General

Thanks, Evelyn . . . that's why I only posted a short reply in response to Carmen's question. I did have a long version which I deleted before posting!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 12:31pm

I agree with Sara’s post and will add that if you can answer yes to all of those questions (except maybe the first one), you should go ahead and do it.
Why did I single out the first question ? Well, I guess it’s because that if your tutorial doesn’t bringing anything new, it might affect your sales but nothing more but maybe I don’t see all the implication of this.

I also want to add that I was in agreement with a lot of things that were said in other threads, it was the way it was expressed that bothered me a couple of times.
If I didn’t post anything, it’s because I can see that no matter how hard you try, you might end up hurting somebody’s feeling or getting misunderstood and flamed… Since english is just too me a second language, I know I will say things the wrong way…
So a lot of people with differing opinions are keeping quiet this days…

But having great tutorials to learn from is to me exciting!

Old 2008-12-31, 12:33pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
perhaps they could do that in a separate thread or by PM for those interested? i'd hate to see this thread derailed...

Pyro is just looking for perspectives on the viability of her (him?) writing a goddess tut...
I totally agree.

Old 2008-12-31, 12:33pm
da General

Back to the original questions. Being in the graphic design and marketing field for over 20 years, I have seen how much consideration is being given to a product a company is planning on launching . . . some of these considerations apply to Pyro Beads' questions in creating a tutorial for sale:

• who is the intended audience?
• what is the need for such a product?
• how saturated is the market on such product?
• who are your competitors?
• what sets your product apart from your competitors'?
• what market share do you anticipate for your product?
• will your product be profitable?
• what other benefits, other than monetary rewards, will your product bring that may offset the bottom line?
• will you be infringing on other's design, patents, and/or proprietary rights?

After analyzing all of the above, you and only you can decide if this is something worth your while!

For me, I will probably not purchase another goddess tutorial since I have LavenderCreek and Kate Fowle Meleney's.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-12-31 at 12:37pm.
Old 2008-12-31, 12:35pm
Storm Queen

Now that was a terrific post Hayley!

Old 2008-12-31, 12:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Now that was a terrific post Hayley!
Yes. Wise words.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 12:59pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Beads View Post
I have been wanting to do a tut on my god and goddess beads, but after reading some of the comments in here I have to admid that I am afraid to. How I learned to do these beads I am not sure. I just wanted to make life-like god and goddess beads for a bike-ralley I was doing. Did I see a tut on these??? I know there are some out there and I have looked at them but they look nothing like mine.... so does that mean that I came up with them myself or did I steal some one's design or idea??? How do I find out??? If I make mine to look totally different, but use some of the same steps to create these does that mean I'm stealing from them?

As far as goddess beads go if you do a search on them you will find hundreds in different styles, ect..... they have been around for years......

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I say go for it. But I'm sure someone will find something very wrong with it.
Someone always does. Just my opnion.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-12-31, 1:10pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Back to the original questions. Being in the graphic design and marketing field for over 20 years, I have seen how much consideration is being given to a product a company is planning on launching . . . some of these considerations apply to Pyro Beads' questions in creating a tutorial for sale:

• who is the intended audience?
• what is the need for such a product?
• how saturated is the market on such product?
• who are your competitors?
• what sets your product apart from your competitors'?
• what market share do you anticipate for your product?
• will your product be profitable?
• what other benefits, other than monetary rewards, will your product bring that may offset the bottom line?
• will you be infringing on other's design, patents, and/or proprietary rights?

After analyzing all of the above, you and only you can decide if this is something worth your while!

For me, I will probably not purchase another goddess tutorial since I have LavenderCreek and Kate Fowle Meleney's.
Hayley,

I agree with you on many points of your post. I am not trying to start an fight here but I disagree with the following:

*how saturated is the market? If you have something new and different to offer this should not matter.

*who are your competitors? This doesn't really matter either. It is the contents of the tutorial that people are interested in. That is unless they are just buying the tutorial to support a favorite beadmaker.

But this is just my opinion from the responses that I received.

Sara

Old 2008-12-31, 1:23pm
da General

Sara - As I said in my post . . . these are considerations that companies address when they plan on launching a product . . . they are pretty standard for Marketing 101. I am just sharing them for those who are interested. No one said that you needed to agree with any of them.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 1:32pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Quote:
Sara - As I said in my post . . . these are considerations that companies address when they plan on launching a product . . . they are pretty standard for Marketing 101. I am just sharing them for those who are interested. No one said that you needed to agree with any of them.
Well, thank you for the lesson in Marketing 101. Being someone who markets tutorials, I guess you should know.

Sara

Old 2008-12-31, 1:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie D. View Post
But having great tutorials to learn from is to me exciting!
\

Absolutely!
Old 2008-12-31, 1:44pm
da General

Sara, I am not sure if you are being complimentary or sarcastic. Again, let me say that I started my post by saying that based on my experience of working on marketing materials for companies - help them position their products, analyze their competitions, work with consultants in determining market saturation/needs/etc. – I wanted to share with those who may be interested in what considerations companies go through in launching a product. I never claimed to be an expert on anything and you don't need to agree with me.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-31, 1:56pm
Don't dis The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermo View Post
Sort of a catch-22, though. In the current climate here on LE, it would scare me terribly to take this approach (purchasing others tutorials for research purposes). I'd be afraid someone might second guess or question my integrity (about using already published materials) if I were to purchase one or more goddess tutorials right before writing and offering one for sale myself.

I don't think it matters whether it's slightly or completely different; in recent threads, people's integrity and ethics have been called into question for all sorts of "perceived" infringements and copyright violations. Those policing other's actions and intentions seem (to me, at least) to have a "shoot first and ask questions later" sort of mentality, only I haven't seen too much of the "ask questions later".

From my perspective, once someone decides you've done something morally bankrupt, and a second person agrees with that statement publicly, from then on, posters seem to feel okay stating their opinion as accepted fact, i.e., "We all agree that what she did was WRONG". In fact, here on LE, there are far too many people reading threads and NOT posting, and just because the active posters taking a particular position in a thread are in agreement, that does not make it so for the rest of the community.

I have strongly disagreed with a number of the opinions stated as "FACT" recently, but like many others (based on conversations I've had with many others, not just my supposition) I don't wish to put myself in the cross-hairs. I suppose that's what I'm doing now, and I apologize to Pyro Beads if this seems to derail her thread. However, I think it's pertinent to the discussion, and I suspect that this fear is exactly why she is raising the question right now.

It's very clear to me, that even if you get a lot of positive reinforcement in this thread for going ahead with the project (which I also feel you should, from my personal standpoint, in a perfect world) you need to factor in that at some later point in time, once you offer something for sale, your intentions and integrity as an artist and as a person could be subject to very public scrutiny and judgment on this forum. How I wish that weren't the case, but sadly, at the moment, it seems to be.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Your gods and goddess beads are really lovely representations of an ancient form.

Schermo

It takes a lot more "faith" to believe that man did all of this all by himself than it does to believe that he had help.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not. ~Andre Gide
Old 2008-12-31, 2:02pm
birdergirl ~o~

"I" ( and maybe other peeps too ) purchased certain tuts not (just) to make a certain bead but to learn good sculpting techniques that could be applied to many subjects. If I purchased another i would have to know in advance that there are unique techniques from the ones I have. I'm guessing (as someone posted ) that the tutor should know this before offering another. Especially if the subject has been covered. I know of some for sale, free on the internet, or free on youTube.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-31, 2:44pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Having never seen Pyro's goddesses, other than the one in the avatar, I really can't say whether they are different enough for another Goddess tutorial. There hasn't been a God tutorial though, that I know of.
Maybe do the tutorial on a God bead, and throw a little mini tut in about how you make your goddesses? I don't know

One of the things that I would do to be fair though, is, if you do feel your goddess bead is different enough and you do decide to write and publish the tutorial, price your tutorial in the same price range as the others. In other words, don't under price it so that buyers purchase yours rather than the others just because it's cheaper. I would want to be fair there.

Other than that, I think I would write Lavendercreek, compare notes, and the two of you decide together if your goddess is different enough for a new tutorial.

Of course you're completely free to do the tutorial anyway, as others have said.
But, yes, you do take a chance on someone pointing fingers and saying... Heeeeey!

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon

Last edited by Frogsongstudio; 2008-12-31 at 2:46pm.
Old 2008-12-31, 3:11pm

This is crazy. What happened to a "free" market. You put out an inferior or duplicate product, word gets around and your product fails. I build houses. Are my houses 100% unique. No. They have bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. It is my job to either make my product superior or offer better customer service or do something to set myself apart and make people want to but my house. Why is a tutorial different?? Or a bead different? It is the job of the market to decide who is good and who isn't. It seems that there are some that think there should be a "monopoly" on creating a certain bead or a certain tutorial. Personally, I am not a fan of monopolies...not in the "real" world or in the bead world.

...and let me apologize in advance to anyone I have unintentionally offended.

Old 2008-12-31, 3:20pm
birdergirl ~o~

I agree with Deborah
anyone is free to do a tut
anyone is free to decide to buy a tut
anyone is free to have an opinion about the tut

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-31, 3:32pm
Who me?

Hmmm, my inbox is empty so I guess no one wanted to defend their position - the comment must just be a personality issue - kind of the ol' LE "us and them".

By the way, Pyro, I think Anne has given you some good food for thought.
Old 2008-12-31, 4:05pm
Colors outside the lines

I agree 100% with Schermo. It's like a shark tank with a bleeding victim in the water in here these days. Good luck with your decision.

Leah
Old 2008-12-31, 4:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Carmen, I believe Amy's "really" comment was directed at your saying that Schermo managed to express herself "without insulting anybody." I have to agree with Amy, then again, this is of-course just my perspective. . .
I agree too.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-31, 4:18pm

How about this idea... You know how Al Gore's company sells carbon credits to companies that want not to have to worry about causing 'global warming'... Maybe Amy could sell 'Tutorial Protection'... and for a fee agree to 'lay off' your tutorial if you publish it...

:

Old 2008-12-31, 4:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptElaine View Post
How about this idea... You know how Al Gore's company sells carbon credits to companies that want not to have to worry about causing 'global warming'... Maybe Amy could sell 'Tutorial Protection'... and for a fee agree to 'lay off' your tutorial if you publish it...
How about this idea - how about you get some anti-bitch pills, take them and then get back to us?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-31, 4:25pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptElaine View Post
I knew you had feelings for me!

I have no issue with the OP doing a tutorial btw. My only issue was with the entire "Bead on a Bead' tutorial. In fact I can think of no other tutorial that I have issues with at all. But then I've already said that.

Old 2008-12-31, 4:29pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Amy,

Are you sure you are not being stalked by more than a squid?

Sara

Old 2008-12-31, 4:29pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Jumping in!

Studying the published works of others is a viable, tried and true, completely legitmate method of research.

No modern thesis paper is ever written without research. No new business is launched without research. Research is the groundwork one lays before discovering that there's no point writing a thesis on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, because your point has been made. Or opening a Jimmy John's sub shop right next to Subway because you didn't check out the leaseholders...

If you are wondering if your point has been made, then researching the other tutorials on that subject makes sense.

Given the atmosphere, care will need to be taken. Your original post alludes to that need for care...so you understand....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-12-31, 4:31pm
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
How about this idea - how about you get some anti-bitch pills, take them and then get back to us?
Squid, your posts work just like a tonic on me!
Old 2008-12-31, 4:35pm
Storm Queen

Old 2008-12-31, 4:37pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I'm saying nothing in defense of anyone ever again so as not to become the focus of nasty attacks making me look like the biggest bitch in the universe.

But...LOL @ Squid.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon

Last edited by Frogsongstudio; 2008-12-31 at 4:43pm.