Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-19, 2:14pm

Default <b>Holding Tank scuming<b/>

So I just installed a holding tank on my concentrator to take care of some breathing issues. But when I torched, I noticed I was getting some scumming marks on the glass, like you get when you use a hh with clear. I know it's the tank cause I removed it and the problem disappeared. my question is, why would it scum if I know the tank is clean (was used on oxygen before) and I let the tank purge out. I was still getting scumming like 3 hours after I started to torch, anyone have any ideas, or any solutions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-19, 3:23pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Is it possible that moisture has accumulated in the tank? Scum on the glass is usually a contaminant of some kind so if taking the tank out of the system clears it up then there is some contamination comming from the tank.

How big is the tank? We used to clean SCUBA tanks with a weak solution of Muratic acid; let sit for half an hour, drain it out then put in a baking powder solution for half an hour, then rince with water really well and dry with warm air from a vacumn cleaner.

Another possibility is the new hose added to the system; but the contaminant has to have come from the new part.
Old 2010-11-19, 4:50pm

Thinking that you're right... But won't know, maybe putting a filter on the line leading to the torch might help... or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:11am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Lowes/Home Depot sells an airline filter in the tools area that **might** help. last one I bought cost about $20.00. Moisture, if it's clean, should not be a problem. If the moisture is contaminated with rust from the inside of the tank that's another thing. The filter can't hurt but if it doesn't work you're out $20.00. Get the smaller one they sell; they are cleanable if they fill up w/water so no need for the larger one for this application. keep us posted.
Old 2010-11-20, 1:09pm

I wouldn't get one of those, they are designed for compressed air where oil in the line is a good thing.

Old 2010-11-20, 9:09pm

We use a holding tank with an OG-20 and have never had a problem. We purchased our tank from OGSI along with our original OG-15. If you purchase a holding tank that is intended for use with Oxygen, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 2010-11-20, 9:59pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I was not talking about an air tank. She apparently already has one. BTW I've used one (a tank) I got at a local hardware store for 5 years now with absolutely no problem. Anyhow I was referring to an inline air filter to remove 1. moisture and 2 remove rust, scale or other contaminants comming through the linne from the air tank or oxycon or both, whatever.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:02pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

meker,
The tanks of which we speak are designed for air service BUT no system I've ever seen would have oil in that part of the system. Airguns and other air tools, if they require oil, have it injected near the tool and never before the air enters the tank. Putting air into the system before the tank would result in 1. a large accumulation of oil in the tank, 2. Oil buildup in the air lines causing stoppage, and 3. Slugs of oil being transfered to the tool/appliance causing errattic opperation and damage.
PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-11-20 at 10:05pm.
Old 2010-11-20, 10:45pm

I was talking about the filter you recommended. Many dehumidifiers are also oilers that inject a oil vapor right into the line. This would cause an explosion. Even if the dryer is not a combination oiler, it still introduces another element that might be contaminated with oil. If you have ever done metal working, you know that a lot of oil is used in the manufacturing process.

Old 2010-11-20, 11:26pm
PyronamixK

No, I'm guessing that this is the type of filter PJ had in mind (not necessarily the exact same one):

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf.../dp/B0000CBINA
Old 2010-11-21, 10:41pm

First off it's not the tank, I found that out easily enough. Now it's between the pedal and the torch... The torch is BRAND NEW and the pedal is BRAND NEW. I need some kinda filter after the tank, maybe right before the torch. Not sure, something is happening and it's hurting me heart ~_~ Any ideas???

BTW the holding tank is made from a OXYGEN tank, not compressed air tank. It's clean and was used in the medical field.

Old 2010-11-21, 10:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Replace the hose between the pedal and the torch?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-22, 5:38pm

Thinking I might have too, they are all new. Something is somewhere... Not sure. Either the pedal was constructed within a dirty area or the torch still has some of the machined metal in the ports... I really doubt it's the torch tho.