Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-16, 11:39am
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Copper Leaf --the thin flyaway stuff!

How do you play nice with it? Tips and examples welcome!! I have a pile of it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-16, 1:43pm
Sheila Davis Designs

First make sure you have really good ventilation. When you apply it, it will turn nasty black and yes, flyaway. Try to keep it on the bead by using your marver. Then, heat, heat, and heat some more, until you see it start to turn. it takes awhile. I've used it over Opal yellow and clear. It will give you a verdigris look...kind of blue/green.

Old 2013-03-16, 5:35pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Seems to me there is a thread about using white frit over copper leaf and you get the most fabulous Asian/peacock blue bead!!! Almost a Ming color!!!

Old 2013-03-16, 7:15pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

to pick it up, and apply, use a damp folded up paper towel. the leaf stays put till you roll hot glass on it, works like a champ.

you can also use punches etc.. just have paper on each side.. we did this with butterflys for beads of courage, then applied white enamel for thompson enamels,, and yes you get the lovely blue green.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-03-18, 1:25pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Thanks everyone! I played this weekend--here are some results--

Really love the water aqua color...but if there is any on the mandrel, it makes the ends really fragile!! (ask me how I know this now...!)

Old 2013-03-18, 1:40pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Old 2013-03-18, 1:41pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I gather that is good Sheila??!!

Old 2013-03-18, 1:42pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Funny--someone sent me gold leaf--but it turned the same color as the copper leaf---did I do something wrong or was it really gold colored copper leaf in disguise??

Old 2013-03-18, 1:54pm
T.J. made me do it

These are made with copper and gold leaf:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/122152510?

Old 2013-03-18, 1:59pm
Chief Creative Goddess

so the gold should stay gold, not blacken and then changed to the aqua blue like the copper, correct?
Will the gold discolor when applied or marvered in?

(BTW--LOVE these--https://www.etsy.com/listing/121360911/southwest-discs-4-handmade-lampwork?)!

Old 2013-03-18, 2:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Mae View Post
I gather that is good Sheila??!!
Yes...especially the third one...I can really see where the copper foil was.
For gold, you want to apply it to your finished but still warm bead, marver or "burnish" it in and bring it back to the flame but just enough to make it stick. If you get it too hot you just blew $$

Old 2013-03-18, 6:14pm

The "gold" that is sold under the Mona Lisa brand (think Michael's) is really colored copper leaf. Not sure what they make their "silver" color out of, but none are precious metals when used in a flame. It's a bit expensive for just plain copper leaf, so I don't buy it that way.

Barbara
Old 2013-03-20, 9:55am
Mary Lockwood

If you roll your base bead in the copper leaf and marver it on, burn it off then roll your bead in white (any color works but I use white) enamel, then boil it, the verdegris reaction is more pronounced and develops more quickly. Not frit---enamel.

Have good ventilation and use a mask.

Tags
copper leaf