No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-23, 6:06am
one day at a time

Default Cracking and Crazing: the place to list incompatible glass combinations

We have been needing a thread like this for a long time. There are threads about incompatibilities that pop up every now and then only to be forgotten. You can find some of them in the searches, but you may not find the specific info you need. This is why we need ONE thread.

This is the place to list all of your incompatible glass combinations, so dig through your memory and put down all of the disasters you can think of. This will be a service to the glass community to help prevent problems that can not only be disappointing, but also not good for your business if a customer receives broken beads! So far, I have been lucky myself, but there have been a few close calls where I discovered tiny cracks or crazing when editing the photos in Photoshop.

Please list the color combinations you used by color, manufacturer, and how you made the beads. Remember, beads that crack straight down the mandrel are a thermal shock problem, and not incompatibility. If you are not sure, then describe what happened and show a picture if you can, and the rest of us will help you figure it out.

I will start with these:

Lauscha peach transparent base with swirled Effetre coral and white twistie melted in on the surface, donut round beads. So pretty, but a few days later all of them cracked like crazy and fell apart in little pieces.

Recent discovery - Lauscha opaque turquoise stringer decoration over Effetre turquoise base, donut rounds. Tiny hairline cracks where Lauscha meets the Effete.

Effetre light sky blue pastel base, stringer decoration of copper green, opal yellow, and purple 254 EDP (all Effetre), donut round beads. Major tiny crazing all over the beads. I made these twice, about three years apart and got the same exact results, so it was not a batch problem. The copper green, opal yellow, and EDP is a popular and beautiful combination that is problem free, but keep it away from the light sky blue.

Gaffer Amethyst (G-11) frit over Bullseye neo lavender opal, donut round beads. Major crazing. Also the same thing with Kugler K-14 (a transparent violet) over Bullseye transparent neo lavender. This suggests to me that the 96 frits do not do well with Bullseye, so be careful. Or better yet, use Uroboros 96 COE rods as a base for your frit. I have never had a problem with Uroboros and any of the 96 COE frit. I don't use anything larger than size #00 or #0 frit on Effete, Vetrofond, and CiM, meaning I don't take the risk of using size #1 on 104, but that's just me.
Old 2014-05-23, 9:31am
Glass-aholic

I made a twistie of OY, black and R-Opal raspberry (all 104) and Made a small bead with the twistie and encased with effetre rose quarts. The rose quarts literally shelled off! It was so pretty! It also splintered at the ends before sheering into egg shell pieces! (The twistie was fine, no issues w/cracking on anything else)

Anything I have ever made with moody blue encased in anything..... Lots of crazing around dots, down lines, surface everywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-06-06 at 10:07am.
Old 2014-05-23, 12:36pm
Artistically Absorbed

CIM Cranberry encased in anything. Another lampworker called it Crackberry which is perfect!

Lisi I am kind of shocked about the Kugler not working over Bullseye, but not about the Gaffer. I believe most if not all Gaffer is unleaded...I could be wrong. It is my understanding that the lead in the furnace glass is what gives the flexibility in small amounts.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-05-23, 5:51pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I have a very pretty lot of Rubino, in thin rods (about 3mm). Trouble is, it will not be encased. At all. Will crack before it even goes into the kiln :/

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2014-05-23, 7:28pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Lisi I am kind of shocked about the Kugler not working over Bullseye, but not about the Gaffer. I believe most if not all Gaffer is unleaded...I could be wrong. It is my understanding that the lead in the furnace glass is what gives the flexibility in small amounts.
I was too! So disappointed! The combo with the Gaffer is so beautiful. A good substitute to get those bright lavender hues is to use the BE neo lavender opal as a base, but then use BE Gold Purple transparent frit on the surface. Another good match is Uroboros Cotton Candy Grape opal as a base, and the Gaffer G-11 frit seems to be fine to use with it.

Last edited by Lisi; 2014-05-24 at 1:40am.
Old 2014-05-23, 7:46pm
Loving learning

I had heard you could use lower COE frit (one step) but not higher, but I've never tried it myself.
Old 2014-05-24, 1:43am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I had heard you could use lower COE frit (one step) but not higher, but I've never tried it myself.
I've never tried anything like that either. I have some Loetz powder which is 93, but I don't know what to use it on.
Old 2014-05-24, 11:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
What is a step?
Old 2014-05-25, 10:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
What is a step?
I think they mean that there's 104 coe, 96 coe, 90 coe. You can use the 96 an 90 frit on 104 in small amounts. Not sure many people have tried 104 on our 90 or 96 because most purchased blends are the 90 or 96. There are some available in 104 as well as single colors. i belive that is what they are referring to to by step. You wouldn't try 104 on Boro or vise versa.
Old 2014-06-06, 4:05am
JulieV

I was trying a 'wave' bead with effetre black and 408 medium yellow. Although I knew the hot colours did not like to be encased, for some reason I thought if the clear encasing glass was a large percentage than yellow, it would be ok. Wrong. It shattered. Literally. (Well at least after it rolled off the counter onto the floor - into a million pieces; more like an explosion)
Peeps in another thread indicated that if you cook the bejeepers out of some colours, it can actually change their Coe. Ya learn something new everyday.

Old 2014-06-06, 5:50am

Don't encase Effetre white with Lauscha peach (I think that one's a viscosity thing). In my case it was a lentil, probably 28-32mm range, which got big curved incompatibility cracks but I've read other people mention it.

I did a bunch of testing of Lauscha soft clear and silver glass. Small cylindrical core of silver glass, struck (if applicable) and reduced, encased thickly and made ribbed rounds with a roller. The below ones did not work and got cracks. (They went into the kiln glowing, garaged and annealed at 520C).

TAG odd light tibet (immediate curved cracks - normal tibet was fine)
TAG deep purple (developed a straight crack in the first week after coming out of the kiln ok)
Double Helix Pandora (immediate curved cracks)
TAG Zeus (immediate straight crack)

CiM celadon base with CIM cirrus dots or full encasing. Curved cracks everywhere in that set after a little while.

I do get incompatibility showing up as straight cracks in small donut beads with dots or round beads sometimes (and I had one that cracked straight along the *outside edge* of a crunch, falling in half that way!)

This one's more for the UK people, but Plowden & Thompson 93coe clear does not *always* work as a core for Reichenbach or Gaffer. (I'll come back and add the specific ones later when I can check the numbers).

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-06-16, 8:21am

Right, these are the Reichenbach and Gaffer 96 combinations that didn't work with a core of P&T 93coe clear. These were sculptural beads, based on a crunch shape then with additional sticky-out bits on the front. Curved cracks on the backs - I thought the first couple were thermal so reheated to fix, but they came back. (I am also very careful to make sure the back is always heated inbetween steps).

RW0761 iris brown light
RW0191 iris amber
Gaffer G175 Cinnamon
Gaffer G110 gold pink extra

Gaffer gold pink extra also got multiple curved cracks when used over a core of Reichenbach RW0201 crystal clear. Which is annoying!

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-06-16, 9:42am

CIM Cranberry Pink over CIM Peace... cracking galore!!

Old 2014-06-16, 1:36pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Right, these are the Reichenbach and Gaffer 96 combinations that didn't work with a core of P&T 93coe clear. These were sculptural beads, based on a crunch shape then with additional sticky-out bits on the front. Curved cracks on the backs - I thought the first couple were thermal so reheated to fix, but they came back. (I am also very careful to make sure the back is always heated inbetween steps).

RW0761 iris brown light
RW0191 iris amber
Gaffer G175 Cinnamon
Gaffer G110 gold pink extra

Gaffer gold pink extra also got multiple curved cracks when used over a core of Reichenbach RW0201 crystal clear. Which is annoying!
Try a clear base of R-100 which is leaded, so it will be a lot more compatible with these frits that have lead in them. R-201 is lead-free, so that was probably the reason for the cracking.
Old 2014-06-16, 5:18pm
Slogan Challenged...

Has anyone tried to encase Sandalwood Ivory? I tried two yesterday and no go. Not shy little cracks either.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-06-16, 7:05pm

R opal raspberry and bubblegum pink didn't work well together for me.
Old 2014-06-17, 11:58am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Has anyone tried to encase Sandalwood Ivory? I tried two yesterday and no go. Not shy little cracks either.
Sandlewood doesn't play well with other colors at all for me.
Old 2014-12-17, 7:30am

in general I try not to encase opals

I had issues with leaky pen and effetre clear so I switched to cim clear

one batch of clio did not like encasement, might have been some seconds I bought but they got mixed up so sad face...