Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-28, 8:26am
IrisIsIris

Default Co2 gas cartridges - re-use for ring mandrels?

I was just sorting my holiday food prep tools back into their bins, and happened to notice that the Co2 cartridges that my ISI whip cream maker uses have a hole the maker punches in one end of the cartridge to release the gas into the whipper, and that hole sure looks like a mandrel could be fitted into it, then dip the spent cartridge in bead release, and you'd have a ring or big hole bead mandrel.
The beauty of this is that I have a horrible time getting the rings/beads off the ring mandrels I have purchased. But, through the holidays, I'll end up going through at least 10-15 of these cartridges so I could use the spent ones for torchwork, and if I need to crush one (or 15) to get the ring off the cartridge then I'm ok with that. The spent cartridges usually go in the recycling bin anyway.
Has anyone tried this?
Old 2014-12-28, 10:59am
Borovangelist

Two problems:

1) You don't necessarily know what they're made of. If they're aluminum you risk releasing vaporized zinc which is very very bad for you.

2) You don't know if there's any sort of lining inside that could burn and release toxic fumes.

There's also the issue of how to keep it on the mandrel so it doesn't fall off or spin while you're working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2014-12-28, 11:47am
Glass-aholic

I would also be weary of plugging that hole completely as it could heat up and blow. All the mandrels I have are either solid or are open. I would not want to cause that much pressure on the inside of it, it could blow.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-12-28, 1:25pm

My CO2 cartridges are pretty wimpy feeling...............I hope yours are sturdier and not aluminum! Also, not too sure about anything that once contained a gas, can't be certain it's totally gone......i wouldn't do it.

Barbara
Old 2014-12-28, 1:57pm

Ok
Take a file or some sandpaper to the bottom of the cylinder. Aluminum is fairly soft.
Aluminum is usually not alloyed with zink but it still has a fairly low melting temp.
It melts before the glass will so not a good tool for in the flames.
Works well with soft glass to rib beads though.
Brass has the same issue and is a zink alloy.
Your tanks are not likely mad of brass.
They could be galvanized but I doubt it. Galvy will darken overnight with any vinagar based condiment. Soy sause, mustard, ketchup.
At this point it also smells a bit.
Stainless will be stable up over night and uneffected once you wash it off.
At this point you should cut the bottom off with a hack saw or pipe cutter.
It provents a pressure buildup when heated.
You will need to either weld the mandrel onto your cylinder
or tap the neck and thread the mandrel.
Tap and die sets are fairly cheap.

After all that work it may be easier to order a few and just double dip the mandrels.

They are useful for all sorts of crafts but its a lot of time for a disposable mandrel.

Last edited by losthelm; 2014-12-28 at 2:00pm.
Old 2014-12-30, 9:57am
IrisIsIris

Wowzer! Thanks for your ponderings & cautions. Now, I think I'll just turn the empty cartridges into a windchime-ish thing, and go back to my purchased ring-molds and master them. I often find various cast-offs that I try to rework into their second lives - kind of a hobby. This is our 3rd home we've owned and replaced all the windows, my husband has about hit his limit of using them to build my 'hot shop', greenhouse, and a storage shed with them. So, I'm used to there being hiccups in my (brilliant) ideas. Thanks again.
Old 2014-12-30, 7:30pm

Cold frames and feral cat shelters seam fairly common for old windows.