Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-02, 2:27pm
Master Procrastinator

Has anyone been invoiced for the 3rd color yet? I thought we would've been by now, but I haven't heard anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-02, 10:16pm

I haven't been invoiced yet for color #3 either....
I remember reading it was to be shipped like this week? Let me check and I'll let you all know
Irene

Old 2007-01-02, 10:41pm
giggety-giggety

I didn't receive an "update" email,....like the one posted. Hope I'm on the email list....

My etsy:

Old 2007-01-03, 12:38am

According to the 11/29/06 Newsletter:

"We'll begin collecting for December on about the 15th. It's tricky, because it usually takes two weeks or more for you all to respond. We'll start shipping right after Christmas....we don't dare ship all that glass in the midst of harried postal workers throwing packages around. We'll wait till it's safe!!!"

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-01-03, 2:42am

Has any European club members recieved their bluetonium from Lauscha?
Australia is still waiting!

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2007-01-03, 7:43am
Beach Brat

I'm on the automatic pay plan, and my paypal account was credited on 12/27/06. I'll let you know when I get the 3rd color.

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2007-01-03, 7:56am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I did get it but my dutch friend who is also a member did not receive hers/

Old 2007-01-03, 8:03am
Member of the Booger7

I received my invoice on 12/29. The subject line was something like, "Color #3. Our first yummy opaque."

Dianna -

Old 2007-01-03, 8:57am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklt0 View Post
Has any European club members recieved their bluetonium from Lauscha?
Australia is still waiting!

Cheers
Nancy
I received mine last week. What I haven't received yet is an invoice for #3.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-01-03, 9:12am
yukue fumei

hmmmm
haven't gotten my invoice yet, but I did email Marcie and she replied on the 29th to say she is starting invoicing and I should get mine in the next few days.

nagi

Old 2007-01-03, 1:38pm
Button Queen

Well, I paid for color #3 (via PayPal subscription) on Nov 22. I haven't heard anything at all.
Old 2007-01-03, 1:39pm

Wondering....
If Lauscha counts the "four month release to the public" from when they ship the glass to Marcie. Would not surprise me if Lauscha Lady has next new color up for sale on her website, oh, around late February, early March~as Blutonium followed Supernova by just about a month--even with a "one month increase" in the delay between when the color goes to the club & when it goes "public", that would only add a month wait before those of us not in the club can get that next color...because if they're shipping to Marcie monthly (and I'm betting they are) & the delays are in the details of invoicing/paying/shipping from the club to the members, well, I'm thinking that's not going to slow down the rate at which Lauscha releases the new glasses to the other dealers....

Not trying to cause problems...just sort of thinking out loud & gonna keep watch on that Lauscha Lady site...(usually a quarter pound is all I can afford anyway...if I can even afford that ...)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-01-03, 8:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
According to the 11/29/06 Newsletter:

"We'll begin collecting for December on about the 15th. It's tricky, because it usually takes two weeks or more for you all to respond. We'll start shipping right after Christmas....we don't dare ship all that glass in the midst of harried postal workers throwing packages around. We'll wait till it's safe!!!"
I haven't gotten my invoice yet either... not that I need another bill but ya know !!

Old 2007-01-03, 9:33pm

A little update for you all.

Color #3 has Not shipped yet. We have sent maybe two pounds out so far.... to people who's Blutonium got lost and when we sent their replacement Blutonium, since it's #3 time already, we thought we'd just send them both colors at once.

I've only sent out about 40 invoices so far for #3.....I had intended to send out a group invoice to all members between Christmas & New Years. But when I saw how many members never paid for Blutonium, I knew that rather than group invoice everyone, including individuals who may not even really be active club members, I needed to go through the membership roster, one by one, with a fine tooth comb. .I've been contacting all the non-paying Blutonium members individually to find out their membership status and make the membership roster more current. So that's where I am with that, although most everyone will be invoiced for #3 by the end of this week.

Meanwhile, the 4 months of exclusivity extension is something that came out of extensive meetings while I was in Lauscha in December. This would affect Color #3 onwards. It does not affect #1 or #2, which arrived in America months before.

Blutonium (#2) shipped to America in AUGUST, arrived in SEPTEMBER. We received Supernova and Blutonium in one shipment. While Supernova was shipped out to members first, and Blutonium didn't go out till November, the 3 MONTH exclusivity was what was agreed upon for Supernova and Blutonium. So if Lauscha mistakenly thought that color #2, Blutonium, had 3 months from when it Arrived in America September 22nd, as opposed to when it was sent to members in November, then December 22nd would have been street legal to sell it elsewhere.

It's tricky. If I receive several colors at a time, it costs just under a dollar to send it to America, per pound. If I receive one color at a time...then it costs me $4 per pound to get it to America.That's shipping only, obviously on top of the cost of the glass. Costs go down as volume of glass shipped goes up. Now add 6% import duty once it arrives....

I am going to try getting just one color shipped at a time, so that the exclusivity clock doesn't start ticking prematurely. That does put me up to the $4 per pound to get it here, which is awful....But it will prevent mistakes in distribution datesin the future.

However, that said.... there it is, on xx's site. When did she buy it? How much? I don't know. Maybe Lauscha waited 3 months after they first produced it in August, and did a second run end of December....

I did speak to someone in Europe today, a reseller who tried like crazy to get some Blutonium and other club colors from the Lauscha factory, and they gave him an emphatic NO! So they are protecting our interests and our agreement. I will ask about the other site and see what I find out. It's not supposed to be able to happen...

As I said previously, we are trying to make it so that we buy an entire production run all up, that is one of the things we discussed in our December meeting, trying to prevent the possibility of distribution leaks such as this.
Hope that catches everyone up!!!
Invoices will be headed your way soon
Irene

Last edited by Reenie; 2007-01-03 at 9:35pm.
Old 2007-01-03, 9:35pm

bump

Old 2007-01-03, 9:49pm
wired and crazy

Reenie, are you posting for Marcie now ie is she not posting in this thread at all?
Thanks for the info on the colors
Old 2007-01-03, 9:56pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Well, I paid for color #3 (via PayPal subscription) on Nov 22. I haven't heard anything at all.
That's when I paid for color #3 also. I did get the most recent email from Marcy but nothing on the shipping schedule.

Old 2007-01-04, 12:26am

Irene, could we (or at least I) get some clarification, please? I'm confused about the exclusivity. I know it was extended to 4 months. But there was question as to whether the "exclusivity clock" started ticking when the shipment left Lauscha or upon its arrival in the US. Marcie had a call in to her contact and was awaiting a response, but I don't believe we were ever told the response. Her remarks in the post above, give me the impression that the clock starts upon the arrival in the US, but that there may still be some question as to whether that's Lauscha's understanding. Then later, Marcie remarks about Blutonium's "clock" starting upon its arrival in the US, rather that the date it is shipped to the members. Are Marcie & Lauscha on the same page with this? Could you please get a definitive response as to just when the "exclusivity clock" starts? (Gee, Blutonium's "clock" - sounds like that should be an explosive on a timing device!! Maybe it is!! - that's a joke, folks, not to be taken seriously!)

Back in the newsletter of 11/6, we were told that colors 3, 4, & 5 were all made and ready to leave Lauscha. Given this, it's reasonable to presume that all three of these colors shipped at the same time, and thus arrived in the US at the same time. If the "exclusivity clock" started ticking at Lauscha, which it seems is Lauscha's understanding, conceivably, the exclusivity could expire before we even receive color #5 (assuming 3, 4, & 5 are shipped out to us at timely 1 month intervals).

On 12/20, Marcie said, "Lauscha agreed to increase our exclusivity period to 4 months. And we've found ways to protect our exclusivity more effectively." She didn't expound on the "ways" the exclusivity would be more effectively protected. Is her above reference to having one color shipped at a time what she's talking about? If not, what is it?

Irene, I'm not trying to stir the already-simmering cauldron, rather simply trying to get some clarification. Marcie thinks the "exclusivity clock" starts with the arrival date in the US, then mentions the date the colors are shipped. Lauscha apparently uses the date it leaves Lauscha. Who's right? This sounds like a who-done-it mystery! Thanks so much for your help.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Last edited by Renee; 2007-01-04 at 12:31am.
Old 2007-01-04, 1:34am

Renee,
I emailed Marcie..hope to have a clarification for you soon. Marcie will post on thread but she has some visitors from Germany in now.....I've asked her to make an appearance when she can to just answer the things I can't!
Hope that helps....Heck...i just work here
Irene

Old 2007-01-04, 5:17am

Hi Suzanne, Kikki,

Thanks for the response. Alas, bluetonium is still not here yet.

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2007-01-04, 9:47am

Thanks, Irene! I know you're helping Marcie as best you can, and you're doing us a great service by responding so quickly to our questions. I hope you don't feel as though I am in any way dissatisfied with you! That's absolutely not the case, and in any event, I know better than to shoot the messenger! <smile> That said, I need to rant.

I am confused with all the conflicting information, and not hearing from Marcie unless there is a specific problem, question, or issue is quite frustrating, and in my opinion irresponsible. I don't want to speak for the masses, but I believe that when most of us signed up to be a member of this "exclusive" club, we had certain expectations and beliefs based on information Marcie provided.

A lot of patience and understanding was demonstrated by the members as this project took off. However, when it was becoming quite apparent that this was going to be a business venture from which Marcie was going to be not only compensated, but profiting, she raised the bar in terms of our expectations of her, as well as her responsibilities to us, so that we now expect, and should receive, a higher standard of service.

Furthermore, regardless of when the "exclusivity clock" starts, the sale of Supernova in Canada created quite a stir because of the timing of its release, but perhaps even more so because of its cost. We were told to compare the price we are paying for the glass to that of JoDel. Perhaps it needs to be pointed out that JoDel's Lauscha prices are considerably higher than that of LauschaLady, GlassDaddy, or C&R Loo, and they have the same expenses as Marcie in that regard. In addition, she justified the $35/lb cost saying, "obviously the Club has to support itself somehow." I don't believe, at the time, anyone defined "the Club" as Marcie & Rolf. Her once altruistic position seems to have done a U-turn, or perhaps, that was never the intent. Maybe at the end of February when she said she started a business ("Firelady Glass Imports (a business that was formed for You Guys based on your requests for glass!!!...")), it should have sent up a red flag for all of us .

It is quite frustrating to be given the mixed bag of information that we have (no fault of yours, Irene), and then in the midst of things, while awaiting our third so-called "monthly" glass shipment, find out that Marcie has basically put her "business" and its responsibilities (us) on hold while entertaining guests from Germany.

I apologize, Irene, as this is not directed at you, personally, nor do I intend this to be representative of the "Club's" position. I understand that I can cancel my membership, if I choose, but that is not the issue here. It's an issue of Club (us), business (hers), costs (ours), excuses (hers), expectations (ours), but most importantly, responsibilities (hers).

If I have offended anyone with my rant, please let me apologize in advance.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-01-04, 10:00pm
Life is change. Love it

Good post Renee, I think you have articulated a lot of the frustrations felt by many members of the club

Old 2007-01-04, 11:46pm

Wow Renee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
It's an issue of Club (us), business (hers), costs (ours), excuses (hers), expectations (ours), but most importantly, responsibilities (hers).
I just GATTA to see that again! Well put!

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2007-01-04, 11:59pm

I honestly have to say that customer service being handled this way- as an open thread on a public forum with tons of people waiting for answers... Strikes me as the worst possible way to manage customer service for any business. I just couldn't deal any more with that. Is it going to improove or is this really going to be the (best) way to get answers? If so I shall not be returning to the club since this is not a tolerable answer for me.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2007-01-05, 7:04am

Thanks, Renee for articulating my frustrations so eloquently.

Cindy

Old 2007-01-05, 7:18am

Good morning. So did you all have a good Christmas?
My Lauschan guests have gone back home, my daughter's back in school, and it's time to get back to work. First order of the day, burning and labeling tutorial CD's for Color #3. Second task, invoicing.
Just to answer the post above.....I absolutely agree with Misfit, customer service on an open forum is impractical and unworkable. That's why I have invited club members, over and over again, to email me at firelady@gate.net. I do correspondence from 9 AM till Noon, everyday, from that address. If you have a question, comment, or problem, that is where you will get the information you need.

So please, contact me that way. After spending 2 nine hour days in a row this Fall answering misconceptions on different threads, I realized that it was an absolutely insane way to communicate, and have not participated since. But my email, and even my phone number are on everything I send out to you.

So if you want information, that's how to get it! And Reenie has been lovely to offer general information on this thread, and contacts me frequently with the news of the day.

I wish us all a peaceful,prosperous and colorful 2007. And I look forward to hearing from you!

Marcie
Old 2007-01-05, 11:19am

Carolyn, Nancy, Misfit, and Cindy - you're welcome. I'd been chewing on this for a few weeks, and could restrain myself no longer. I want to make it perfectly clear I am simply expressing my postion based on personal, basic principles and standards.

I posted in this thread for two reasons. First, because others have emailed Marcie and responses have not appeared to be very timely. Irene, on the other hand, is very quick to respond and relay the information and/or any responses she can obtain.

Secondly, when Irene began this thread she did so out of the goodness of her heart (thank you, Irene!), and to assist Marcie. She said in her first post, "...I compile a list of questions about the glass, usage, problems and stuff like that and send it to Marcie where she could answer it all hopefully in one post and then I send it back to all of you. ... This thread is for those that have any questions pertaining to the glass itself. How to work it, how not to work it.....questions on the next shipment dates...etc...just any questions you have about the club glass or the club itself."

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but it seems my post fit the stated criteria. It was my impression, and please correct me if I am wrong, Irene, the purpose of this thread was to present to Marcie a compilation of questions, issues, etc., which she could address at one time, rather that numerous individual posts which would be far more time consuming. Frankly, I thought, and still think, it's an excellent idea, and I would imagine that before creating this thread, it received Marcie's blessing and full approval. Indeed, it would assist her immensely.

My post yesterday was the result of frustration that has been accumulating. I suspected others felt the same and would want to either express their frustration as well, or at least have these issues addressed by someone else to obtain some answers. And as I stated, I believe I stayed within the confines of the stated criteria.

However, because my post took issue with the very foundation of this "Club", suddenly we are now invited, if not encouraged, to email her directly, privately once again, thereby closing the door on information-sharing. Personally, I disagree with this. There are a lot of members, albeit fewer now than when this started, who have a vested interest in what happens. My impression is that this "Club" was, and is, sponsored by the members. Therefore, we, as members, have every expectation and right to not only be kept informed, but to raise issues and questions, and share those with the other members. If I am under the wrong impression or have misconstrued any information, I would have thought it to be in Marcie's best interest to clarify things on this thread, either directly or via Irene.

I want to reiterate that I believe the concept of this "Club" is wonderful, and on many occassions have expressed my appreciation to Marcie, directly, for all the time and effort that's gone into it.

As it is Marcie's decision not to respond to my posting in this thread, I will copy yesterday's post, as well as this one, in its entirety, and email it to her. I will inform you of her response.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-01-05, 12:55pm
Beach Brat

I find that Marcie has always encouraged us to email her directly, that responding to all of the LE posts was taking up a lot of her time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's why Reenie volunteered to monitor the forum.

I've emailed Marcie whenever I had a question about billing, shipping, or the color itself, and always got a reply and a solution. She's been very generous, donating glass to give as samples at my bead society meetings.

I was a little disappointed to find that some other sites are carrying the glass a little cheaper than the club, but I still got the glass much quicker anyway. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any missing shipments, but I'm sure there are many more like me. We're just a little quieter because we're happy.

I still think the club is a great opportunity and wonderful concept. There are always growing pains with any new endeavor, and I have confidence they are being addressed. Who knows, in time, maybe all the kinks will get worked out. But I do think it's important to let her know what we see as problems, so she can work them out. Thanks, Reenie, for helping us think out loud.

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2007-01-05, 4:20pm

---

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Last edited by Renee; 2007-01-05 at 10:02pm. Reason: Deleted - double posting (sorry!)
Old 2007-01-05, 4:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandrup View Post
I find that Marcie has always encouraged us to email her directly, that responding to all of the LE posts was taking up a lot of her time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's why Reenie volunteered to monitor the forum.

I've emailed Marcie whenever I had a question about billing, shipping, or the color itself, and always got a reply and a solution. She's been very generous, donating glass to give as samples at my bead society meetings.

I was a little disappointed to find that some other sites are carrying the glass a little cheaper than the club, but I still got the glass much quicker anyway. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had any missing shipments, but I'm sure there are many more like me. We're just a little quieter because we're happy.

I still think the club is a great opportunity and wonderful concept. There are always growing pains with any new endeavor, and I have confidence they are being addressed. Who knows, in time, maybe all the kinks will get worked out. But I do think it's important to let her know what we see as problems, so she can work them out. Thanks, Reenie, for helping us think out loud.
Joy, I agree with you. Regarding contacting Marcie, when I saw this thread, it gave me the impression that Marcie was being overwhelmed with emails, and this "central" thread would be a way to save her a lot of time if Irene (Reenie) took the posts and condensed them for Marcie. Again, thank you, Irene!

Also, please do not misunderstand. I am not faulting Marcie, personally. I have spoken to her on the phone, and we have exchanged emails. I have found her to be very, very nice, polite, and helpful.

Again, the club is a wonderful idea. I couldn't agree with you more. And I agree that growing pains will occur. It is my belief that the vast majority of us, and I include myself in that group, have been very patient and understanding.

That said, here is Marcie's response to me. She was very timely, responding in less than 1 hour after I sent the email, for which she is to be commended. I will be responding to her email, but will be unable to do so until late tonight or tomorrow. I have to leave in about 10 minutes and will be out for the evening, so there is no time for me to do it now. I will post my response as soon as it is written. If anyone wants to respond to me, please feel free via this thread or PM. Have a great evening, everyone!

Hi Renee,

I'm sorry you are so unhappy with the club, and that so many aspects of it are not to your liking.

I think the first thing to understand is that running the club via the forum became impossible after the club
reached a certain size. It became it's own full time job just posting and private messaging, totally eclipsing the other two jobs I have,
one of which is this club.

I believe that the newsletters, e-cards and updates have been frequent, keeping members apprised of our progress
and problems, and direct communication to each member is how the club has to be operated. I have sent numerous
direct communications to members, and that should fulfill my responsibility.

What occurs on the forums is a mixture of fact and fiction no matter how many times I explained and re-explained
our activities. If you think the attack-and-destroy messages that are posted regarding every aspect & action I take
is fun, it is not. It is debilitating, it is often based on misconception, and I never signed on for endless personal attack
when I wanted to help Lauscha and lampworkers do something cool. I have worked endlessly to keep this club together
when people are frustrated and Lauscha is late again again again.

And I have always, from the very beginning, stated over and over again in posts and private messages that emailing
was how to get individual needs met.

First, regarding the profit-making aspect of this venture. My partner quit his job when we expected the first glass to arrive, to help run the club
The glass was four months late. That lateness on Lauscha's part will take me 18-24 months to recover from financially. There are several colors they
have produced for us that I have rejected, because I am trying to get the best glass possible for our members.
And so, when you think "profit", think "loss", because while the numbers seem good, or even "high" to you... this club has been a huge financial loss for me. I am hoping
in the future it will turn around. If you think I am being compensated for my time, I am not. Neither is Rolf. We look forward to it all breaking even
eventually.

And so, if you feel the altruistic position has done a U-turn, please re-read the above. If I wanted to make a profit, I'd do something else....I am trying to help the people of Lauscha and keep the factory open.It is the overseas market....North America, that is supporting this factory and Lauscha's glass tradition. My costs are not the same as Jodel's or the Lauscha Lady
or Glass Daddy....they order more volume than I do, by far.....therefore their discounts are higher and their costs are lower.

I don't believe that February's creation of Firelady Glass Imports should be a red flag for you! How is that? We had two members who wanted to pay by check.
They had no credit cards and didn't do Paypal. They sent me checks that could not be deposited. My accountant said I needed to register a "fictitious name" with the
State of Florida in order to be able to receive and deposit checks for the club. And so Firelady Glass Imports was created to allow those two members to pay by check.

Neither Lauscha nor I have any control over what somebody else sells the glass for after the exclusivity period is ended. If the Lauscha Lady wants to
offer wholesale prices to retail customers or even lose money on the glass to win back market share, that is her right to do so. I've heard she's a sweet lady, although i don't know her myself...
Trust me, not one of the Lauscha distributors was happy when our club was formed. They raised hell with Lauscha when they heard of our existence, We are perceived to be a threat to their livelihood in many ways,
and so undercutting tactics and price wars are to be expected.

I hope I have clarified some of your more intense issues.

If I've left out important things you need to know, just write again.

Marcie

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio