LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-18, 11:36am

my favorite tool is jim moore's spiral masher. i can't quit mashing beads. best hundred bucks i've ever spent (on glass stuff anyway). and i love dental tools. if it's what i am WISHING for - more jim moore mashers, a faceting setup (is that a tool?) and a puffy mandrel. is that a tool? hmmm... just wishing for goodies.

melanie
Old 2006-12-18, 2:25pm
In spite of it all!

Is it the brass in the Jim Moore and Corina tools that is the appealing factor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-18, 7:31pm

For me, it's the combination of the Corina tool being brass, but it is also well shaped, well balanced, and the perfect great size. When I go to workshops, I never leave home without it!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-18, 7:48pm

Ruf, to answer your question, the tabulator is in Lori Greenberg's book, Hot Off The Press, as being the easiest press to use.
Cattwalk sells it and describes it like this:
"The tool to replace your hand-held parallel mashers. Why would you want to do that? Because the precision of the Tabulator cannot be beaten. There is stop at the top that will hold it open and when you're ready to press you just release it and lower the top down for a quick, easy, PERFECT press every time. It comes with spacers that go over the pins (as shown) for thicknesses of 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" and any combinations of those that you can create. "

It sells for $90 but one of these days I'm going to get it. Pam
Old 2006-12-18, 8:38pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
Even with my 1/16th mandrels it makes a mess! Arg!!! lol

I think that the larger presses... like I have... would have been a given for the larger hole size.... but there I go thinking again.
I am learning to make smaller beads but I sure do love making focals! The bigger the better!
Well, I would think that they would make them for a 1/16" mandrel by default, but I bet you could order larger. It's easier to take metal off than to put it back on .

If you are careful, you could probably do it yourself with a vise and drill press.

-Jeff
Old 2006-12-18, 8:46pm

Not asking for much, but a back yard studio complete with heat and hydro would be awesome...lol

a girl can dream.....

can't wait to see what this sneaky lady is up to...lol

Old 2006-12-19, 12:29am
In spite of it all!

Sneaky??? LOL... Me??? LOL... I plead the 5th! AND NOT the bottled kind either! lol I promise it's going to be better then anyone can imagine! Any and all input is read very carefully.

More.... More... tell me more!!!! I know you guys are full of what you want and really gotta have desires. Tools are never wrong to have and can only make it easier to work your bead magic!

I can see you looking at this thread and thinking... gee... this woman is wacked! But I realy would like to have ____________________ (fill in the blank).

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2006-12-19, 12:40am
Cancer SUCKS!

I am back to add to my list.

I would LOVE more presses.
The spree, large lentil press that is more shallow (hence using less glass), bigger torch -

I currently am on a minor
a rolling craftsman tool chest
kiln that I can also fuse in,
new chair,
slumping molds,
ring mandrels in many sizes,
digital camera so that I can photograph my items I want to sell,
Digital controller for my kiln
ring saw
glass grinder
tumbler
steel shot

hmmm, what else?

more mandrels - noticing many of mine aren't straight anymore

Let me sleep on my list some more and I'm sure I can think of more.

Old 2006-12-19, 10:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchikanSculptor View Post
Is it the brass in the Jim Moore and Corina tools that is the appealing factor?
Jim's tools are actually bronze! They are the best tools ever!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm I guess that glass related gifts that I would like would be a really nice and fast small crucible kiln! Probably have to be custom made!

Andrea

Old 2006-12-19, 10:47am
In spite of it all!

Thank you Andrea! Isn't bronze (correct me if I am wrong) an alloy combination of copper & tin?

Old 2006-12-19, 11:08am
Keep My Flame Burning

I can not live with out my pokie things from Maria. I Love them. I also use my marvers lots of the time. I wish I had a good set of hot fingers. I use my tweezers tons as well. I wish I had a small poker. I am talking like a pin head size small.

Live everday like it is your last and regret is a word you will never use.
Old 2006-12-19, 12:03pm
Yorkies Rule

What I love the most that I have is my Creation Station-well built..really helps when doing detail work. Now what I want...glass organizer(large custom built),retro glass tool, another kiln for fusing larger items, oxgyen maker, and most of all a detached studio away from the house(play house perfect)..thats all for now
Old 2006-12-19, 12:06pm
Who me?

I absolutely could not live with out my Jim Moore curved masher tool. Well worth the $100 it cost me.
Old 2006-12-19, 12:39pm

What tools would one want? Oh my,lets see.... a Gtt Lynx torch, OG-15 oxycon, and last but not least all of Zoozii's tool presses. At least that is what I ask Santa,but I dont think he heard me.
Tim
Semper Fi
Old 2006-12-19, 12:42pm

Did I forget a G-tec booster to run the Lynx..HA HA. Might as well wish big.
Tim
Semper Fi
Old 2006-12-19, 4:33pm
Passion for Beads

A friend of mine made this bead tools for me last week. I am so proud of her.

She made a very good looking poked dot/raised flower tool for me.
And a little stamp that is look like my logo to stamp my signaturebead. My friend works with an volcano and i am working with the minor.

Last edited by La Bianca; 2006-12-19 at 5:10pm.
Old 2006-12-19, 4:50pm
Looking for my waistline

A reasonably priced murrini 7-point star mold made of brass. When I have that kind of money, I have to choose between glass and the mold...seems the glass always wins out!
Old 2006-12-19, 7:43pm
Dangerous Woman

Yeah slump molds! Kiln shelves, and whatever you need to make cabinet knobs.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-20, 7:03pm
Domestic Engineer

Default I love ALL my tools

I LOVE my Val Cox marver. I use it every time I make beads. It helps me make great Barrel shapes. Long and short barrels.....I love that shape.
I Love my serrated tweezers too. I have a curved one and a regular one. Its teeth grab the glass better when I am making stringers and also when I am applying murrini. BTW the curved tweezers are also very long. Also I love my dental tools for shaping...and my mini mashers.

I would love different shaped optic molds to make more complex murrini very easily.......One day......

Old 2006-12-20, 9:30pm
In spite of it all!

Me too DewDropped! It is a great tool and so glad I bought it this year!

So, what else? Anyone else have wishes, desires, faves or just HAVE to have it's? You never know what is going to happen after putting in your 2 cents worth! ...Of course with inflation since that saying started its about $100.00 bucks worth now isn't it?

Old 2006-12-20, 11:42pm

I would also like a good method of keeping the studio completly organised and neat and dust free. and if I'm dreaming anyway why not add a second torch setup so when people come over and borrow the studio to work I can still torch too.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-12-20, 11:58pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
One of the marvers w/the spot drilled in it to steady your mandrel when your spinning it...(I forget who makes/sells them...I used to have it bookmarked before I fried my brothers old laptop ...now I'm desktop stuck)
~luna
Here is the site that sells the marver. http://www.smircich.com/html/smircich_tools.html
Old 2006-12-21, 10:41am
In spite of it all!

Wouldn't it be great to have a studio that cleans itself everyday after a torch session misfit? I HATE cleaning my torch area as I seem to toss my stuff all around the entire area and then have to dig for what I want in the middle of doing a bead. LOL What I attempt to do is clean in the morning after the torch has cooled off and I know I am not going to get burned by something still to hot to touch.... like glass or the torch. As for the dust.... well.... it's just one of those things I live with giving my glass the pit swipe before use.

Old 2006-12-21, 9:55pm
MacGalver

OOOhh, let me see... I want another Glass Hive kiln... I love mine! and another (or bigger) oxy concentrator... another glass rack (I make mine out of closet organizer shoe shelves from Walmart, they work great!) and 4 or 5 different presses, something I've never really delved into... a mandrel spinner to save my shoulders and wrists... and... and... and.... ! I can get kinda woozy just thinking about it all....
Old 2006-12-21, 10:17pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I want one of Drew Fritts Infinite Rim Marble Molds
http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/molds/Multi.html
I got a chance to try it when I took Pam Pitts marble making
class and I was hooked!

Some brass pokey tools for making holes and ...well....poking stuff.
Preferably one with a pokey end on one side and a shaping end
on the other side.

I want ALL of Jeffs cool mandrels - hearts, stars, moons, buttons etc.
http://www.inspirationtoolworks.com/...ing/all-tools/

*whew* that should keep me busy for a day or two

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-12-22, 7:52pm
In spite of it all!

ok... It's almost Christmas all you guys! What else did you gotta have in the way of tools?

Old 2006-12-22, 8:01pm
Dangerous Woman

A bigger kiln so I can slump. Some slump molds and probably a book that tells me how to slump and has slumping schedules.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-22, 8:11pm
One of the Booger 7

Default spree press

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilglass View Post
All I want is a crystal press and a spree press
just ordered one . . . my xmas present to me (thanks to those who bought beads as xmas presents to someone else!).\\

leslie

Old 2006-12-22, 8:55pm

Ruf - the tools I know I use every every time are pliers - pointed, but not needlenose, to pull stringer. Flat pliers - non serrated - to squoosh sheep ears. A cuticle tool for eyes and feet. And a tungsten pick...
I am hooked on presses, also - I used the Tapley ones and enjoyed them until I wore one out - it doesn't want to align right for me - so I bit the bullet and bought a CattWalk lentil press. Yup, hooked on presses now. I just ordered the Spiral Plank, as I tried one similar at Sheryll's and loved it. I'm thinking giant snails...

What would I want? More time - can you supply that?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-12-22, 9:01pm
In spite of it all!

LOL... I will wave my magic (I wish) wand and make it possible for you to have 30 hours in one day... is that a good start Ms. Goddess?