Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-17, 3:03pm

Default Concerned "oxycons"

Went into the medical supply store to see about some filtration foam. Haaaa! They have had a really horrid expression when finding out about the oxycons being used for torching. Now should I be concerned about any thing going boom in the night. I don't leave them on during the night. I don't smoke around them and then I only use the torch which is on the table and not on the floor. So please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or what. Geesh help. Also I need to know where to get the devilbes cabinet filtartion foam. Thanks for any information that you might have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rose Leslie
Old 2007-01-17, 3:26pm

Hi Rose!!

I'm a nurse and I think I know where they're coming from. I worked in Home Health and Hospice in -home care for a few years. We worked with oxygen concentrators and taught patients and family members how to use them. Part of the SAFETY teaching we did was, "Never an open flame, no cigarettes, no candles, etc or it will cause an explosion". That's what I was taught and what I was told to teach. Sooooooo, that said, I don't know how we can use an open flame in the same room with oxygen and not get blown to bits, but many do and have for years and years. I'll be curious to see what others have to say about this.

Warmly, Marie C
Old 2007-01-17, 3:31pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I will be waiting to see the responses too.

But on the other hand the other option is tanked oxygen and that isn't supposed to be near an open flame either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-17, 3:40pm
PyronamixK

Oxygen is an accelerant. In and of itself, it is not flammable. If you soak your clothing and furniture and draperies in oxygen, they will burn more easily. This is why people on oxygen therapy should not be smoking (that and the obvious respiratory issues that necessitated the oxygen therapy in the first place).

With lampworking, we are taking that oxygen and running it straight through to the torch and using it to combust our fuel.
Old 2007-01-17, 3:44pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

How do welders weld metal? (rhetorical) Tanked oxygen has been around fire for a VERY long time. Does pure oxygen even burn? I was under the impression that it helps the fuel gas (i.e.propane, acytelene, etc..) burn more efficiently, but I've never tried to light up with just oxygen. I've followed the po op method.

I know the main safety concern w/tanked oxy is that the tanks be chained so they cannot fall because they are under so much pressure that they'd become a potential torpedo if tipped over.

kbinster you posted the same time and answered my questions! Thanks
Old 2007-01-17, 3:51pm

This was something that I was also concerned with when I got my oxycon. I have a long enough hose to run just outside the door of my studio and don't have th oxycon in the same room as my torch. It really shouldn't be a problem unless it's leaking because ideally all of the oxygen is being burned by the torch, right? Anyway, the noise from the oxycon would bother me too. It works for me!

Amy
Old 2007-01-17, 3:54pm

That is what I told them. That the oxy was used with a hose to the torch and then the propane. There eyes just got bigger. Also told them that the oxycons weren't close to the torch. Didn't matter at all. They still were in shock. Well I just told them when I come in looking like a crispy critter then they were right.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-01-17, 4:03pm
PyronamixK

Even with a leak, the small amount of oxygen would just be recombined with the regular air very quickly.
Old 2007-01-17, 4:10pm
Crazy tool making guy....

I think the thing is, while running, the oxygen isn't exposed to a fuel source except where you expect it to burn immediately, in a place and manner where that is the desired behavior.

They are used to oxygen being around fuel (i.e. cotton clothing) and worrying about an unexpected, undesired, uncontrolled ignition.

If *you* were on oxygen, and also using a torch, that could be an issue, but it is the torch that is "breathing" the oxygen. They don't get that.

-Jeff