No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-17, 6:45pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Clear Glass - Is Bigger Better?

As have many folks, I've struggled for years to find a nice, clean clear glass. Effetre is finicky, will scum if you're not super-careful. Vetrofond is better, but still apt to scum if heated too quickly. Lauscha and Check (Czech) both caused major cracking issues for me. The second batch of ASK clear was heaven, but they seem to have forgotten how to make it and the most recent batch had to be returned to the manufacturer.

I talked to a lady at Arrow Springs a couple of months ago (forgotten her name, I have no brain) who said she felt that the larger rods of clear melt cleaner and scum/bubble less. So just last week I ordered a small amount of big whacking (12mm) clear Vetrofond.

I tried it today, and though it does encase faster I still seem to get little bubbles (no scum). Now, maybe it's me - I seem to get little bubbles no matter what I do. Maybe I have a bubbly personality...

Anyone else tried the thicker-rod-is-better method? Any thoughts?

Aimee
Old 2007-01-18, 5:37am

I find thick rod a lot clearer than thin.

these are two view of same pandent I made with 13mm Morretti

HTH
Cheers
Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-18, 6:18am

I diswasher all my glass when it comes in also. Then when I pull it from storage to use it I use a rag and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. This helps clean out the scratches on the surface. I have also found that using a little more oxy helps me out as well a working a little slower.

Black River Beads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most Beads Are Here:

Old 2007-01-18, 11:50am
over the moon space cadet

hmm...I don't think I have the guts to put mine in the dishwasher - do you guys have a special cradle thing for it, because I'm sure mine would fall through the grate into the bottom. Then I'd have no glass and no dishwasher
I LOVE and adore large rods. I also love that I can get them whenever I want because it doesn't seem like many soft glassworkers use them. I love them for encasing and off-mandrel work - and it seemed to me like there were less bubbles and you get a better end result IMHO.

BTW: Nancy - GORGEOUS pendant!! Looks like boro - would've never guessed that it was soft glass.

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2007-01-18, 11:59am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you could put the glass in an orange bag and secure the ends - that would keep the glass from moving.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-01-18, 12:39pm
Missing presumed fed

I've put mine in a mesh lingerie bag on the top rack of the dishwasher. The last time I got clear glass, though, I couldn't find the mesh bag that was big enough for the rods, so I just put them on the top rack, and they were fine. I guess it depends on the design of your dishwasher.

(Orange bag -- I'm thinking "what does the color of the bag have to do with it?" Eventually the penny dropped, though.

My lingerie bag is white, by the way. )
Old 2007-01-18, 12:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
(Orange bag -- I'm thinking "what does the color of the bag have to do with it?" Eventually the penny dropped, though.

My lingerie bag is white, by the way. )

I almost said "lemon bag", but decided the ones for oranges would likely be bigger.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.