AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What were you most afraid of as a lampwork virgin?
Lighting the torch 227 42.91%
Shocky glass flying at you 126 23.82%
Not being as good as you hoped to be 146 27.60%
Not having everything "just right" 55 10.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 529. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-18, 12:50pm

As a newbie I have no problem lighting the torch, or working around it- not afraid of burns. I've smelled burning hair a couple of times but no injuries yet. And yeah, I jump whenever a rod shocks... but what really scares me is getting cut. I know burns hurt worse than cuts, but who says fears are logical?

My glass fusing friend and neighbor refuses to try to melt glass with the torch, and I refuse to cut glass in her studio. LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-18, 10:53pm

exploding glass or dropping a molten hot pendant in my lap. I'm thinking kevlar underwear might be a good investment

J. Krishnamurti

[url]www.BlownAFuseGlass.etsy.com
Old 2011-04-19, 8:44am

That pop of the torch lighting freaked me out for a long time.
Old 2011-04-21, 6:17pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I don't remember how I felt the first time, but I know that I was terrified to work on my torch when I was pregnant, and it took me a year and a half to get back onto my torch after the baby was born. I have no idea what was going on with my brain.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-04-21, 6:56pm
Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesLegacy View Post
I have been dreaming of this for over a year. Now I am finally set to try it out (outside for now, because garage ventilation is not done yet) and I am so afraid of lighting that darned torch!
LOL. I totally relate! I was afraid I was going to blow something up or catch the house on fire etc. I think that is healthy to be nervous. The more cautious you are the safer you will be. I haven't been doing it that long but I know that after doing it for a couple weeks I had become much more comfortable and because it was scary I have developed some very good work habits. I also purchase a propane detector and keep it near my propane tank just in case and it helps that I am using and oxy concentrator it makes me feel a little safer than if I were using tanked oxygen. Most importantly, for me anyway, I had someone who knew what they were doing set it up for me, then go through the procedure with me until I was sure I had it down and still I have a checklist.

Goodluck, you'll do fine.
Old 2011-05-01, 7:52pm

That darn shocky glass still freaks me out. My first 2-day (bad) class was with bullseye...IMHO THE worst to start with.....shocky! But because I caught the "bug" so quickly it didn't deter me. Then I discovered 104coe. The Hothead was great to start with. The minor a bit more daunting. But programming and starting that kiln....that took me 3 weeks too before I would try it. Shocky glass is still the bane of my creations.
Old 2011-07-01, 6:06pm
Sheila Davis Designs

LE

Old 2011-07-03, 8:50pm
Chief Creative Goddess

the kiln......oh, my fear continues to this day!! I have yet to turn it on...I'm here tonight to get some courage!! and advice!!
Old 2011-07-03, 9:02pm

I was more on the 'nothing' end of the scale and unpacked my class kit and set it up two weeks before my first class. But I *was* nervous that the glass would get really molten really fast and I wouldn't be able to control it.

Old 2011-07-30, 7:42pm
It's about having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinabeadalina View Post
Turning on the kiln. Seriously. Lighting the torch, melting glass, no problem. Actually turning on that kiln that had the potential to get incredibly freaking hot just made me incredibly freaking nervous. I practiced beads for at least a few weeks before I told myself they were good enough to bother annealing, but in truth, I could've made a perfect bead and still have been freaked out about the kiln
Me too! I don't know why but turning on the kiln really freaked me out! It set there for two months. Well, I think it was because the instructions were so confusing! But I was sure it was going to blow up the house! My husband actually does batch annealing for me, still kind of freaks me out! Isn't that crazy!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-31, 9:41am

Think you need another polling option....learning of another thing I HAVE to buy.

Budget started at 200, was just going to buy a basic hot head starter kit. well I skipped that..
Have now spent 700.00 will be getting everything in next week
Still gotta get the oxygen and prop..

Terrified that I have forgotten something else.... 0o
Old 2011-07-31, 10:25am

Hmmm... well I have dropped about a grand and still not fired the torch up..... hold up is ventilation. There's all kinds of info here but no simple "just build this "box" attach "this " fan and poof your properly vented. Anyone who can help me over this hurdle would be appreciated..
Old 2011-07-31, 4:32pm

I too want a quick fix solution to the ventillation problem. Is "some" better then "none"?

Chris S.
Old 2011-07-31, 8:04pm

I found out this week that it was my kiln. I have this fabulous piece of equipment that totally intimidated me. I was driving 50 miles one way to pay to get my beads annealed. I think I may be getting over it. I have my second batch of crap..oh, I mean TEST beads in there running. Hopefully I have it programmed correctly. (this time)
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguttierrez View Post
I am with Angelinabeadalina. I was scared to death of my kiln. I had it for 3 weeks before I could convince myself to turn it on.
Old 2011-08-07, 7:36pm

Default new oxycon

I am terrified that I will destroy my new-ish oxycon...will i accidently shut off

the torch with the oxycon still running? and then it will implode or whatever-something bad...

I am also afraid my neighbors will freak out and report me to the lampworking

police.

I need to get a grip and play- that's all(safely, of course)

Joan
Old 2011-08-17, 8:04pm
Loving learning

Joan, I always shut off my torch with the oxycon still running So far no lampwork police. I think they must be out for coffee with the quilt police, they haven't shown up yet either! LOL

Oh, but don't light the torch with the oxygen valve open. If you forget, it will remind you!
Old 2011-08-17, 8:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Joan, I always shut off my torch with the oxycon still running So far no lampwork police. I think they must be out for coffee with the quilt police, they haven't shown up yet either! LOL

Oh, but don't light the torch with the oxygen valve open. If you forget, it will remind you!
Yes...it only took me a couple times to learn that one!

Old 2011-08-18, 4:26am

uh oh

I have not experienced that YET......

do not light torch with oxygen on...do not light torch with oxygen on...ok

the quilt police always left me alone, too! ( they should arrest me for all the

fabric I have)

Joan
Old 2011-11-23, 6:20am

Default Dripping hot glass

I chose shocking glass flying at youas that was number 2 but first was having dripping glass fall on me some how.
Old 2011-11-23, 9:43am
Just getting started!

My kiln! I'm still working on ventilation, so haven't even lit my torch yet, but the kiln is something I lose sleep over. My setup is in my inlaws basement and the plan is that I will go over there, and they will watch the baby while I torch for a couple of hours a day. I am so stressed about leaving that damn kiln on unattended while I leave and go to my house! It has a digital controller, but I'm freaking out... what if I burn their house down??

Imadesigns....Creativity Unleashed

Old 2011-11-23, 12:11pm
Learning...

The FIRE and all the possible damage it could do! I was laughing at all your posts. After 4 years I still get a little freaked out when I light the torch. And it scares the sh*t out of me when I forget to turn the oxy knob off when I light the torch and I get that big POOF!

Old 2011-11-23, 2:18pm
Loving learning

So far I've only done that once. I guess having to come inside & look in the mirror to see if I still had eyebrows & such made an impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaRB View Post
The FIRE and all the possible damage it could do! I was laughing at all your posts. After 4 years I still get a little freaked out when I light the torch. And it scares the sh*t out of me when I forget to turn the oxy knob off when I light the torch and I get that big POOF!
Old 2011-12-04, 6:47am

Flying glass shards - or generally not being able to control hot glass well enough, i.e. setting everything on fire on my first try
Old 2013-02-10, 4:14pm

Pulling stringer

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-02-10, 4:55pm

It's not on the list but I'm still afraid of not having good enough ventilation. I have an inline fan going out the roof of my shed and it does have a small 20x14" hood attached but I keep reading that the makeup air has to be atleast 10' away and my shed is 10x16 and if you allow for the distance the table and torch are from the wall, it makes it less than 10'. I do open the door and window, but I still feel like it's not enough. I may be just paranoid!
Old 2013-02-10, 9:08pm
Loving learning

I've never read that the makeup air has to be 10 feet away from the torch. I know I've read that the exhaust shouldn't be close to the source of the makeup air. Are you saying the exhaust is too close to the open window?
Old 2013-02-11, 8:03am

I didn't know enough to know what to expect so I was not afraid at all. After that you learn how to work safely and learn the limitations of your skills so as to not attempt work that you don't know how to execute at that time. I burn myself more cooking than glassworking... So don't be afraid and jump in and enjoy this fascinating art form!!!!
Old 2013-02-11, 8:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I've never read that the makeup air has to be 10 feet away from the torch. I know I've read that the exhaust shouldn't be close to the source of the makeup air. Are you saying the exhaust is too close to the open window?
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...ile.php?id=152

Eileen, I think this is where I got the information about the makeup air being at least 10 feet from the ventilation.
Old 2013-02-11, 8:49am
Loving learning

Ah OK, so 10 feet from where the air is vented to the outside. Mine is not 10 feet from where it exits my building to the window I leave open, but it is around the corner. I don't have a ducted fresh air system, mine comes from the window behind me. I never smell propane coming in that window, so I hope I'm OK.
Maybe put a drawing of your work space with measurements of where the air leaves your building, where it comes in, etc. in the safety forum & ask there?
Old 2013-02-11, 9:21am

Thanks Eileen