LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-09-07, 11:48am
Intermembrane Time Travel

I might be able to go out to it and take pictures later today or tomorrow to give a better idea of the space I am working with, and the gaps I speak of. Now that you mention it, the collective area of all the gaps almost certainly equal the circumference of the fans hole it will be mounted to, possibly even slightly more, so this very well might work out better than I was thinking. There is certainly a few options for me, one even being to maybe try to put up a simple board based fence in the space between the neighbors house and ours facing the street. I may try to do a visability test by walking by and looking back there to see just how visible the work space would be, if all you end up seeing is a door open with light on, then I won't have to be so worried. This might all depend on where I set up the bench etc. Thanks for the input, pics soon to come! ;D
Old 2011-09-10, 12:13pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

here are some pics of the shed, as you can see all the open vents/ports near the roof should easily add up to the space of the window in the picture if not maybe a bit more, and will be larger when combined than the hole for the fan I posted a link to (the one I have 1600cfm). With a hood especially, I am thinking this should be enough. My current worry being that some of the gaps are pretty close to the corner where the fan will be mounted (the section of wall that isn't in place yet) and having intake air mixed with the stuff I just sent out via fan. The majority of them however are either on the opposite side of the wall, or corner so I am thinking the majority of air coming in should be ok. Any thoughts? Maybe block off the gaps starting at the middle one above the window and move left to the section where the fan will be so as to ensure I am pulling most or all my air from places removed from the fans general exhaust?
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-11, 7:48pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

In general the air intake opening should be at least 10 ft from any exhaust opening. From your pics it looks like that whole end where the window is will be within the 10 ft. of the fan exhaust opening. If the ceiling joist are 2x6 then you may have enough area from just one end to supply makeup air. I would close off the openings over the window. You can always put a small window in the opposite door or leave the door open when you torch. Looks like it's going to be a nice little studio, congrats.