LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-10-25, 6:41am

Default Multiple Torch Propane Pressure HELP please!

Hi,

I hope any of you who have set up a multiple torch studio can assist me. I seem to have a bit of a challenge with the propane people.

I am setting up a teaching studio. I will have no more than six torches. Most of the time, I doubt we'll even be running all six simultaneously (but that doesn't really matter).

I will have: 1 GTT Scorpion, 1 GTT Lynx, 2 GTT Crickets, 1 Mini CC, 1 Nortel Mega Minor

Questions:

1. What is the PSI I will need to have coming INTO the building to ensure I can run all of these torches simultaneously?

2. What do I need to dial my internal regulator to (to run fewer than all torches at once - i.e., 5 psi per torch? If using 4 must I multiply 5psi X 4 torches = 20 psi?).

Please, someone help me with this equation? I've been searching everywhere for this info to no avail.

The gas people are talking insane amounts of pressure, special piping and certifications and I'm not convinced we're talking apples to apples.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Last edited by Torch&Marver; 2011-10-25 at 6:43am.
Old 2011-10-25, 7:11am
Gentleman of Leisure

Bringing propane in to building is really not all about pressure, its about VOLUME... Ideally you can bring propane is at 10 psi and should have a individual regulator for each torch, adjustable to what ever PSI you desire for each torch. IF that is not possible/practical, then you probably should use a single regulator set at 5 PSI (you choice of pressure value) and use piping that can handle the volume. Building Codes regulate that you can not exceed a pressure 10 PSI for bringing propane into a residence, it may be different in commercial space, but you will have to check codes.

Volume is provided by using fair sized piping (3/4 - 1 inch pipe) and a external regulator the can handle a volume of gas (usually stated in BTU)...

It's not insane pressures that create volume, it is large diameter piping at low pressures....

If you think about a residence (for example) its possible to have a gas water heater, a gas stove with 4 burners and a oven (all going at once), a forced air furnace, and possible a gas clothes dryer all going at once (not probable though) being fed by a single medium sized regulator and 3/4 inch pipe from tank to house, at about 1/4 PSI (11 inched Water)... I'm sorry but I don't think your propane people understand the needs or they are trying to sell you a system beyond your physical and financial needs...

The certification part may be the need to have a plumbing permit from local building code authority and have installation inspected for proper design and construction before its put into use. Check with local building code enforcement people in community where studio will be located... Since its going to be a teaching studio and the "public" will be in attendance this is probably going to be a "must do" issue.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-10-27 at 7:27am.
Old 2011-10-27, 5:18am

Thank you, Dale! This is most helpful!