Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-10-28, 1:20pm
apt to wander....

Default Heating the Detached Garage Studio

With colder weather setting in, I've encounted a new problem and I'm hopin one of you folks might have an idea

The garage is old - It was built in the 1920's along with the house, drafty and uninsulated & insulation is not really an option ATM as the only storage space for yard tools, etc is along the walls between the studs and the built in workbench along the entire back wall - where my tiny little studio calls home in a corner on "my" side of the garage.

The DH has traditionally heated the garage with a propane high hat when he's working out there in cold weather. I'm thinking propane is proably not a good option for me as the tank would be inside the garage when it was running (my fuel tank is piped in from outside - I know da rules ) and i'm concerend that my exhaust would potentially be pulling the fumes from the heater toward me, eliminating my clean make up air.

Is there another type of propane heater that would better than a high hat or is there an electric heater anyone would reccomend?? I'm not looking to make it as warm as my living room, just help keep me warm enough in my corner that I don't have to dress like an eskimo to work out there. Mittens make it mighty hard to spin the mandrel......

Melissa
Old 2011-10-28, 2:38pm
Loving learning

I just have a small space heater, but I'm in Florida and I don't go out on our really cold days so I can't help. Just shivering in sympathy!
Old 2011-10-28, 2:39pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I found that putting a space heater under my bench firing at my legs helped a lot. If the floor is concrete, getting your feet off of that and on to a wood pad or something is also important. I think I lost more heat through my feet on the concrete as I did any other way. 10 degree winters were not for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-10-28, 8:15pm

I am looking forward to hearing some good heating solutions, as well.

Just starting to add insulation to the walls in my garage outside Buffalo.

I am afraid my beads will thermal shock before I get them in the kiln....

Joan panicking in the blizzard zone
Old 2011-10-28, 8:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Instead of heating the air, you have to heat YOU. Warm air will just get pulled out - use a radiant heater like this

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-HeatDis...9860120&sr=8-1

I have one and it is awesome. Also, you can use heating pads on your lap or under your feet - that helps a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-29, 1:23am
Alaska Boro

A typical radiant heater runs in the range of 1000 to 1500 watts. Do you have sufficient power in the old garage to supply the heater, lights, fan and other needed items?
Old 2011-10-29, 3:10am
Hobby Junkie

I put an electric blanket over my chair.

Old 2011-10-29, 4:20am
Entropy increasing....

The heat dish works really well, we used one for years. We have a woodstove in our shop now.
Old 2011-10-29, 7:02am
Disconnected

I agree with Squid, last winter I started using a parabolic heater and I really like it. I only used it about 3 to 4 months (my climate is not brutal except for a few days each year), and I don't torch every day, so I didn't think it was a lot of energy spent. It sits on the floor right behind me and it keeps me warm without trying to heat the entire basement.

The electric blanket is a smart idea, too

Old 2011-10-29, 5:49pm

Soooooo
I just finished building my fume hood and am now running a 6" ductwork pipe from the wall to end over and behind my head. Does anyone else think i will freeze my glass off?
I like the parabolic and the electric blanket ideas.
I have six outlets at 15 amps for this part of the garage. i may be getting close to maxing them out.there is the respirator, the kiln ,the squirrel cage fan a light, music and heat.looks doable-I think
Joan
Old 2011-10-29, 7:08pm
apt to wander....

Sorry I took so long to get back to the thread - we had a great costume party to go to last night and then had to get right back up at 9 to help a friend move

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. I hadn't thought of getting something to raise my feet off the floor even though I know from years of football games that it's one of the things that definately helps. My DH is now going to build me a slanted foot rest for under my workspace.

The dish heater and the electric blanket may be the best way. It gets cold here and I'm a big wus in the cold. The garage catches A LOT of wind and not a lot of sun. Hopefully the garage can handle it for this winter as upgrading our electric panel out there isn't on the list until next summer at the earliest.

Melissa
Old 2011-10-29, 9:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconsidine11 View Post
Soooooo
I just finished building my fume hood and am now running a 6" ductwork pipe from the wall to end over and behind my head. Does anyone else think i will freeze my glass off?
I like the parabolic and the electric blanket ideas.
I have six outlets at 15 amps for this part of the garage. i may be getting close to maxing them out.there is the respirator, the kiln ,the squirrel cage fan a light, music and heat.looks doable-I think
Joan
The real question is how many different breakers are those outlets on? If they are all on the same breaker, you're going to have a problem.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-10-30, 3:19pm

I have one outlet that is hooked up to a 15 amp breaker and two others that are both hooked up to 20 amp breakers. Does that sound okay? I know nothing about electricity. Any input is much appreciated.
My awesome brother rewired the garage on the fourth of July while on "vacation".
Joan
Old 2011-10-30, 3:55pm

I have a wood stove and keep my feet propped on a log off the cement. It's all insulated and walled in but it gets bitter cold here.
Old 2011-10-30, 5:53pm

I know a guy that stands on a heated floor mat kind of like what you see people put in their dog houses for their dogs to lay on and keep them warm.
Old 2011-10-30, 5:56pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
I have one outlet that is hooked up to a 15 amp breaker and two others that are both hooked up to 20 amp breakers. Does that sound okay? I know nothing about electricity. Any input is much appreciated.
My awesome brother rewired the garage on the fourth of July while on "vacation".
Joan
That sounds pretty reasonable, but you will probably want to make sure the items that draw a lot are on separate circuits.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-10-30, 5:56pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
I have one outlet that is hooked up to a 15 amp breaker and two others that are both hooked up to 20 amp breakers. Does that sound okay?
Without knowing what your actual loads are, it is difficult to determine your actual power needs. As a rough number you have a total between the two circuits of about 3500 - 4000 watts of usable load. i.e. based on one 15 and one 20 amp circuit - could not tell by your comments if you have one 15 amp and one 20 amp circuit or one 15 amp and two 20 amp circuits. if the latter then power would be in the range of 5500 - 6000 watts.

If you have a clamp on amp meter it would be simple to determine the actual load on each circuit with "all" items in use. However, the next best scenario is to add up all of the loads (watts) and see what you come up with. i.e. a concentrator typically uses 400 - 450 watts. A set of two (40 watts each) florescent bulbs 80 - 100 watts. One will have to look at the labels on each item and see what is listed for power consumption.

Without knowing anything about your setup it would "appear" that 3500 - 4000 watts would be plenty for your shop. But if you keep popping breakers with your present load, then no, you do not have sufficient power resources for your needs.
Old 2011-10-30, 7:57pm

I have one 15 amp and 2 20 amp outlets. looks pretty good ( I hope). anyone know how much a kiln draws? i have a feeling that kiln will be the biggest energy sucker.

Zinci, Is there any way you can store some of your tools overhead? My garage has lots of rafters which are now filled with some ladders, bikes,rugs and other"stuff".
Is it possible to drop a tarp around an area to keep it somewhat warmer?

I keep having visions of lots of shivering lampworkers frozen in front of their torches. Yikes!
Joan
Old 2011-10-31, 1:14am
Alaska Boro

What does the name plate on your kiln list the power consumption at in watts? Kilns can range from 1,000 to 10,000 watts or more. More typical for glass annealing is around 1500 - 1800 watts as most can be run at 110 volts in place of 220 volts.

Yes a tarp would work, but think of the potential fire hazard. Plastic with an open flame would not be a good combination.
Old 2011-11-01, 3:42pm

Alaska,
My kiln is an old arrow springs from 1995 or 1996. It does not have a name plate. It has on the digital controller the name canadian instruments. It still works great!
I think I will ask arrow springs. to be continued...........
Joan