Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-04-14, 11:59am

I have had to search high and low piecing scraps of collected info together to put my station together(working on the oxy/gas right now). So I was very happy to find this thread. Perfect timing.Thankyou so much! Excellent job!
Old 2012-04-15, 3:36pm
I speak Murrini!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-10-23, 11:17am

Thank you for putting together this tutorial!

I'm going to use it for my (under construction) studio but I have an operational/procedural question if you don't mind. I'm running a Lynx (5-8lbs fuel pressure recommended) with tanked oxy:

1) I like the idea of minimizing the amount of gas entering my home. can I just put a 10lb fixed regulator on the propane tank or would the extra 2lbs cause problems with my Lynx? If so, would it work to put my adjustable regulator between the INSIDE shut-off valve and the torch to knock it down to 8lbs.

2) I know a flashback arrestor needs to go between the inside shut-off valve and the torch but is that the only place or are additional arrestors needed?

3) What is the shutdown procedure after torching? What/where/when do you shutoff and bleed out the gas line?

thanks!
Old 2013-11-09, 4:42am

Can this be done with oxy as well. If it's been answered call me a dumbass. I didn't read it all yet
Old 2014-01-09, 1:16pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hello De and thank you for all your hard work!! However, I do have a question. Dale refers back to a picture on AGA that shows a flexible connection between the fixed pressure regulator and the shut off valve on the outside black pipe. I am confused as to what you would use as a flexible connection. I am out to buy all I need today, hopefully.

Thanks if you can help me, please. Or Dale, just jump right in...???
Old 2014-01-10, 9:09am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

bump
Old 2018-09-09, 4:01pm

I know this is an older thread, but have a question. If I am routing propane to two torches, do I split it outside or inside. The torches don't run at the same time so I for the last 10 years I have run them from the same bottle with no issue. We just built a new shop and I'm trying to do this correctly this time. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-09-11, 3:44pm

I brought mine inside and used a splitter like these to feed my main torch and a hand torch I use all the time also. They are very simple to use and straight forward to hook up.

Here is the web site; https://www.mountainglass.com/YY-Con...Closure-Valves

You can also find them used on ebay sometimes for less $.
Have fun.

Last edited by Shaper; 2018-09-11 at 3:47pm.
Old 2018-09-11, 10:35pm

Thanks Shaper!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-09-14, 3:35pm
Phill

There should be no problem with the splitter inside the house.

That is unless you are raging both torches with monster flames.

Then you would get a pressure drop on one torch when you light up and rage on the other.

Piping is only going to let just so much fuel flow at its maximum rate.

If you run two at a rage you would be best off running two tanks with two separate pipes.
Old 2018-09-14, 10:56pm

Thanks Phil. I should be OK since I never am on both at the same time and my second torch is a little Cricket. It whispers more than rages LOL

Old 2018-09-17, 8:49am

Default Help with Piping Tanked Propane into studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
IF it is a secondary regulator........

NFPA code allows one to bring propane into residence at a maximum pressure of 10 PSI.....

So by putting a "fixed pressure" primary regulator set to 10PSI (MAX) at tank and then connecting a adjustable (secondary) regulator to piping to inside you can have a range of 0 to 10 psi in studio....

Other option may be to get "fixed" pressure regulator (for primary at tank) at maybe 2 or 5 PSI and save cost of adjustable regulator and just learn to work with torch at preset supply pressure....

Dale

Good Morning, Dale

I have a Bethleham Betta torch and I have been trying to get my gas man to hook it up for me but he is having difficulty knowing what he needs. I have a oxycon and would be using a propane tank like for barbeques. I have a black pipe, threaded on both ends ran through the block wall. I read De 's post on how she said to do it. I would need two shut off valves brass red handle 1/2" female fittings Part #110-523HC, and a male pipe to FIP hex bushings 1/2" x 1/4" (reducer 1/2" to 1/4") part number 17000827 and a hose barb adapter 1/4" to 1/4" MIP part no 17000192. elbows for turns and clamps. I'm not sure I can find those part numbers as they may have changes. Can I put my regulators inside my garage instead of outside or not? I think my readings would be 2PSI and my oxy would be 8,9, or 10. I'm sorry I really don't know exactly how to ask so my gas man would understand or if you could draw something I could show him how to do it. I know I also read that I should have flash back arestors also and not sure where they would go. I hate to bother you but I've had this for over 5 years and not been able to get it piped in. Any help at all you could give me would help so much. thank you Linda
Old 2018-09-17, 7:34pm

Micsmom, go to the beginning and there are pictures that may help. She addresses flash-back arresters also (she says which post at the beging).

Old 2021-09-20, 5:06am

You can also try this: https://powertools-pro.com/drill-pre...p-review-2021/