No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-06, 5:34pm
offically down under

Default Dichro -your idea of good v bad

With the discussion regarding different dicro glass, it got me thinking. Just like some folks like a certain restaurant and others think is awful, or some people like a movie while others hate it, dichro can be the same.

I've been using CBS on black which starts out blue and goes to greens, yellows, orange and pink. In the same stripe, the blues and pinks play very nicely, but the orange and yellows are a bit more temperamental.

I would love to see what you view as a good dichro v bad dichro. If you have a preference to certain brands, please spew.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-06, 5:54pm
Life is change. Love it

Good dichro
Rocio, Arrow Springs

OK dichro no idea the manufacturer, but it is rainbow splinter, not much rainbow

Not great dichro, Pretty enough, sort of subtle, but I want my dichro to have glitz!

I don't keep beads that have crappy dichro in them, they go in the garbage

Old 2010-03-06, 6:00pm
doyenne of the homebodies

I've only ever bought dichro from Arrow Springs and I love it. Since I don't really use it that often anyway, I've never had any particular desire to shop around.

Andrea
Old 2010-03-06, 6:33pm
Tacki

Did someone say dichro? Sorry, but I'm gonna be a picture hog here!

I've got a ton!

My favorites are from AS, Rocio, and Dichro Magic.

From Dichro Magic:

From Ron & Rocio:

Old 2010-03-06, 6:34pm
Tacki

And Arrow Springs Dichro:

Old 2010-03-06, 6:50pm

Wow all of the beads here are stunning. Traci, even though you didn't show very many, I love the 6th, 7th and 8th one in the first group. That's the stuff I have but I didn't get it from Rocio. I get mine from CRLoo and I don't even know what kind it is. It comes in scrap bags. I love it because it does that shardy splintery thing.

Old 2010-03-06, 7:32pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Wow all of the beads here are stunning. Traci, even though you didn't show very many, I love the 6th, 7th and 8th one in the first group. That's the stuff I have but I didn't get it from Rocio. I get mine from CRLoo and I don't even know what kind it is. It comes in scrap bags. I love it because it does that shardy splintery thing.
Oh great, now I have to go to CRLoo and see for myself If I buy anything it's YOUR FAULT!
Old 2010-03-06, 7:34pm
as in the state

That was easy!!

Does anyone have the "crinkle dichro" (?) that is like a dichro foil on copper sheet as it's backing?m

-Amy
Old 2010-03-06, 7:47pm

Ok, I'll take the wrap. Just pick me up some while your there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracidawn78 View Post
Oh great, now I have to go to CRLoo and see for myself If I buy anything it's YOUR FAULT!

Old 2010-03-06, 7:48pm

I have not used that yet. I was tempted, but never got around to ordering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post

That was easy!!

Does anyone have the "crinkle dichro" (?) that is like a dichro foil on copper sheet as it's backing?m

-Amy

Old 2010-03-06, 8:36pm

I've got some of the copper foil dichro...It's not something I'll buy again at this point. I really don't consider it dichro like real dichro. I can replicate anything I've gotten from it with either silver foil or mica flakes.
Old 2010-03-06, 8:44pm

Most of the dichro that you mention above is CBS - Coatings by Sandberg. Dichro Magic is another manufacturer - in Texas somewhere. I've only used CBS dichro for beadmaking because only they coat 104 glass - or did when I was checking it all out. I just always use them now. They are great to work with too. There ARE coatings that work better in the flame than others.
Old 2010-03-06, 8:55pm

Good dichro? ALL of the above! Fantastic work, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Most of the dichro that you mention above is CBS - Coatings by Sandberg. Dichro Magic is another manufacturer - in Texas somewhere. I've only used CBS dichro for beadmaking because only they coat 104 glass - or did when I was checking it all out. I just always use them now. They are great to work with too. There ARE coatings that work better in the flame than others.
I use CBS too and buy my scrap directly from them. Why deal with a middleman? They do the work... just as soon they have my money!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-03-06, 9:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Most of the dichro that you mention above is CBS - Coatings by Sandberg. Dichro Magic is another manufacturer - in Texas somewhere. ...
Austin Thin Films makes DichroMagic.

I like the Lauscha Dichro I got from Marcie aka Firelady. And I really like Bullseye Dichro. I'll try to take some pix tomorrow.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-03-06 at 9:53pm.
Old 2010-03-06, 11:49pm
Semi Retired

My favorite has always been CBS until recently I started to use
dichro magic's Uroboros 104 dichroic. Love the thinner Uroboros glass.

After seeing Tracies beautiful beads (#6 7 8 ) I am anxious to get my hand on the CBS crinklized dichroic which is also based on Uroboros 104.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-03-07, 1:20am

I dont see 104 dichro on the CBS site. Do you need to ask for is specially?
Old 2010-03-07, 5:49am

Wink

I recommend asking your distributors (like Arrow Springs and Rocio, etc) WHO is the manufacturer of your favored dichro. It's good to know who made your different coating.

And yes, not all colors play nice, and sometimes, not all coatings took as well as prior ones, sometimes even in the same run!

I am a huge dichro ho'. Love it to pieces!

Here is black glass sheet Graef "Black Dot".... LOVE the intensity!

In application dichro exposed.....

Last edited by Ofilia; 2010-03-07 at 12:19pm.
Old 2010-03-07, 6:28am
Creatrixie

I have to stop being so "precious" about my dichro!
I'm such a magpie/dragon that I LOVE glittery sparkly stuff...
I've burned my share of dichro, so I've started watching every vid that I can to learn...work low and slow! (and tuck those ends in!)

Here's some stuff that I thought was total crap, but when I took the above advice, I managed (mostly) to get it to work:

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104