Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-15, 2:52am
Glass Junkie

Default Arm rest

First of all let me say I did not come up with this idea. I found it on a thread, but can't find it any more. Maybe this will help some people.
I went to a gathering and most people had the expensive fancy arm rest. These arm rest might not be as fancy but several people tried them out, and to their surprise they thought it was more comfortable with a lot of adjust-ability. I made several for people that needed an inexpensive way to rest and steady their arms, but did not have the tools to make their own. You can buy the materials for around $10. My set up is for a Mini cc. The height of the rest w/foam is 5.5". Here is a list of what you will need:

A pipe cutter and De-burring tool
2'x1/2" ridged copper pipe ( cut, 2@2"-bases/2@2.75-legs/2@6"-arms)
4) copper 90* 1/2" elbows
2 or 4 copper caps ( I just use 2 for the base for off setting the elbow)
1' of foam insulation for 1/2" copper tubing (cut, 2@6")
2) 1/2" copper straps (for securing to the work surface) either screw or bolt to surface. A great idea is to mount the arm rest to an air-bake cookie 14"x16" sheet made by Warever. It has dimples that fit the mounting strap perfectly so you can drill then bolt your arm rest and the sheet will sit flat on your table.

Hope this helps someone. By the way been using mine for over 2 years and it still works great and with tight swivels! Times are tough, but why be uncomfortable doing what you love and can"t afford the expensive stuff. If anyone needs help making one, let me know. Or if you don't have the tools I can make you a set for $20 including free priority shipping until 10/05/09 in the U.S..After that the price will be $25.00 including shipping in the U.S.. This price is for the arms, foam, mounting brackets, screws or bolts only and not the mounting surface. If you want an air-bake surface I will have to check on shipping prices and the cost of the sheet.

Last edited by papajoe; 2009-09-29 at 3:26am. Reason: increase after 10/05/09
Old 2009-09-15, 4:38am
2 Red Dogs

Thanks, I have been kicking something like this around. I had been building agility stuff for my dogs using pvc & just hadn't quite worked it completly out in my head. I was thinking T's clamped to a base but this is PERFECT!

Cricket & EX 15
Old 2009-09-16, 9:07pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Thanks for posting this. I love it--simple, functional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-16, 9:12pm

very cool.
G.
Old 2009-09-17, 1:34am
Glass Junkie

Had more pictures but the file was too big to upload, I suck in Photoshop. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 2009-09-18, 9:35pm

How kind of you to post this. Thank you so much.
della
Old 2009-09-19, 8:50am

Thank you! Your design is wonderfully simple. Your generosity is heart warming. Thank you!

Last edited by bousky; 2009-09-19 at 10:09am.
Old 2009-09-19, 10:13am
Glass Junkie

Thank you all for the kind comments, glad I can help. WoW, Michelle, Huntington Beach, brings back memories. I used to ditch school and go surfing there..lol don't tell my kids. Also had my first kiss there...hmmm. I grew up in Lakewood and the beach was my stomping ground.
Old 2009-09-19, 1:53pm

HB has been my stomping ground for most of my life although I did my school ditching in Illinois. We'd drive into Chicago or just hang out in the boonies.

Old 2009-09-20, 8:32am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Thanks papajoe for this great idea. I'm going to see what my dad has in his shop and see if I can't just whip up a set. If not, I will definately pm you for a set. I think $20 is a screamin deal for this! thanks bunches Sandy :0)

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-09-23, 1:16am
Glass Junkie

Order sent, I got a good deal on some heavy duty foam, so you got a free up grade. Thanks again, hope it helps your shoulders. Oh, I would like to see a picture after you paint the arm rest. Just remember to tape off the rod first and don't paint inside the 90's. Rough up the surface with some 120 sand paper and use a primer for copper.
Old 2009-09-25, 1:29am
Glass Junkie

Your more than welcome.
Old 2009-09-25, 3:37am
BeadsonCypress

got mine yesterday...thanks (now to finish the new studio and install) still looking for an electrician who isn't insane......

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-09-25, 6:23am

Pappajoe
Could you use PVC pipe instead of the copper? Just a thought about the copper turning green after a bit of use
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2009-09-25, 2:18pm
Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
Pappajoe
Could you use PVC pipe instead of the copper? Just a thought about the copper turning green after a bit of use
Liz R
I've used mine for over 2 years and they have not turned green, just a little oxidized. If your worried about heavy salt content in the air, you could coat with nail polish or Urethane. The pictures I posted are my original arm rest I made.... I'm sure PVC would work but you need to sand the pipe down a little so they would swivel. PVC is hard to turn when it goes into a joint. I would also get the grey pipe that you use for electrical because it is thicker wall. And if you have a hotter torch it will bend and over time it will get brittle. Never tried using PVC so this is just my humble opinion.
I love pvc, was thinking about making a rod rack to hold my Boro.
Hope this was helpful.
PaPaJoe
Old 2009-09-29, 3:36am
Glass Junkie

Free shipping until 10/05/09, after that, I regrettably will have to raise the price to $25.00 including shipping. Shipping is killing me!
PaPaJoe
Old 2009-09-29, 6:41am
birdergirl ~o~

This looks cool !
I may try one out of PVC bc I have a bunch here.
But I love the copper!
Which joint swivels?
(is this dumb question?)

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2009-09-29 at 4:27pm.
Old 2009-09-29, 2:39pm
Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
This looks cool !
I may try one out of PBC bc I have a bunch here.
But I love the copper!
Which joint swivels?
(is this dumb question?)
No question is dumb! Thanks for asking. All the joints swivel so you can adjust them on demand. If they ever get loose you can crimp lightly with pliers. I had to crimp them only after I took them apart to measure for this thread.
Swivel forwards and back for height
Swivel left or right for arm comfort and off mandrel work
swivel back of torch for over hand work or just getting them out of the way
Hope this answered your question...I'm better at showing than writing. Think I should have went to school instead of surfing..lol
PaPaJoe
Old 2009-09-29, 4:26pm
birdergirl ~o~

Sounds then like copper would be better than PVC for adjusting.
Thanks!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-09-29, 4:54pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Papajoe,
Great information. $10 at the local hardware store and a few minutes of time to create and they work great. I like saving the $$$$$ and still having an arm rest that works.

Thanks
Lysa

Old 2009-09-30, 2:20am
Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
Thanks Papajoe,
Great information. $10 at the local hardware store and a few minutes of time to create and they work great. I like saving the $$$$$ and still having an arm rest that works.

Thanks
Lysa
Great!!! Glad I could help. Pictures please, I would love to see your set up!!!
PaPaJoe