Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-06, 11:40am
Glass-aholic

Default How I make blown vessels (HH friendly!!)

I am using hollow tubing, 1/8, 1/4, or 3/16 are popular sizes.

1) Start with a coated hollow mandrel and make a skinny barrel bead a few cm from the end of the mandrel. Make the bottom of it nice and pretty, that will be the neck if desired. (it can be embellished or touched up later)

2) Next start forming a disk on the barrel bead, closest to the end of the mandrel. (it can be in the middle of the barrel too for effect, and to ensure there are no gaps) Keep your walls as even as possible.

3) Continue forming the disk like you would a hollow bead curving to straight sides. Continue the sides as long a you like, then spiral down. (I use a thick wind and start off with a smaller hollow form, I think I get a better shape this way. Before you close off the end hole, you can do inside put stuff and fume too. Also as long as you get the disk extended over the end of the mandrel you can just blob on the end and mix and swirl.

4) Heat the form, make sure that there are not gaps in the sides, patch if necessary, or let gravity do it's thing, just spinning usually gets them out.

5) Add embellishment if desired

6) Now that you have hollow bead form, heat to glow,droopy but not collapsing, and slowly spin and breath lightly at first and then when it starts to stiffen you can increase the breath (a little).
I usually end up standing up for this part, it just feels right.

Do a few and you will get the idea. You have to watch for side blow outs (uneven heating or thin wall spots attribute to this) I tend to have more glass on the bottom, so I heat that more than the sides. A good even heat first and then heating the bottom will give you a good shape. A good shape to start with does not always make a difference, as long as your walls are even on the sides and the bottom is rounded, or rounded to a glob it will be fine!
You can also use marble/bead molds to help shape if you roll it out in a 1in bead mold. Play and blow out the shape in the mold itself to constrict the shape. ( I used a 1" and 7/8" bead mold)

Do not be to concerned about collapse, if this happens melt to a nice rounded blob and do it again. (its fun really) and I had a really hard time ruining one *trying to*

Heat the now blown shape in the flame until you like the shape, and/or it is even. give it a puff every now and then if you are getting it hot hot again, or of the shape starts to distort.

7) Add embellishments now if desired.

Depending on how you have worked your vessel in the flame you can touch up the neck with stringer and add wings or handles or handle wings. I use stringer for this (factory pulled is perfect!) Make handles starts with dots and then i connect and make pretty on each side I have done wings using the fold method (in tuts somewhere) on the handles as well or some with just wings.

When it is done you can spot heat the bottom and with a stringer pull to a point as well!

Be careful when adding handles that the spot heating does not collapse the vessel shape, it might be necessary to add a puff if you see it distort. You can also prod your handles to shape them,

Throw it in the kiln!

All the pictures of hollows were made on a HH torch But the steps are the same for any torch! (numbers do not correspond)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-06, 11:44am
Glass-aholic

Here you go DeAnne I am glad it was helpful to you before! I edited it a little, but in a good way, and drew out some pictures.

Everyone feel free to add your tips, and pictures of hollows! and/or correct my grammar/spelling!! LOL

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-01-06, 12:26pm
I speak Murrini!

You're amazing! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-01-06, 1:14pm
geekitude on two wheels

Great tut, you should post it in the tutorial section so it doesn't get lost! Idk if my method is hot head friendly, never tried one, but it is different than yours - i start the same, but just gob on a wad of glass at step 2, decorate if desired & proceed to step 6 - chill the edge of the collar with a paddle or something before I puff it up & blow. then as you said for the ending bits.
Old 2011-01-06, 1:34pm
Glass-aholic

Jen I made this tut while using a HH, thus my brain thought process was dependent on heat, and overall lower working temperature. It is hard to concentrate the kind of heat you need to blow out the big blob on a HH. This method did not require that kind of heat, and allows you to change colors as often as you would like to layer the effect. I have also before closing up the bottom, inserted pixie dust or frit. You can kind of treat it as if it were tubing before you close it. Probably achieve an inside out effect bead too! (that is beyond me! lol) Your method sounds like its cool, I will have to try it!

ah yes... the tutorial section... I almost am never in there anymore, it slipped my mind
i will go post there now

Last edited by jaci; 2011-01-06 at 1:47pm.
Old 2011-01-06, 2:12pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I have also before closing up the bottom, inserted pixie dust or frit. You can kind of treat it as if it were tubing before you close it. Probably achieve an inside out effect bead too! (that is beyond me! lol)
Never thought of that!