Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-05, 8:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Hey Deb! I have spent 2 days loading glass in, I am so grateful for this tool.
I am finding that it won't let me add certain names. FI: effetre 680 green tea. I add a new colour and then when I click on add to my stash I get effetre, green tea, and then the number for northstar and northstar in the field of manufacturer, borosillicate, etc. I had that problem last night with another colour and I just ended up changing the name.
Is there a way to fix this????
Thanks,
Namaste
Rowyn
ok, because it sorts by name you have to make sure that if you add a colour that someone else uses that you put a letter on the end denoting the manufacturer - so effetre green tea would have to be Green Tea E, this applies to any colour name that is common to more than one manufacturer, black is a good example, you'll find that all the blacks have letters on the end, some have letters and numbers for where one manufacture has several versions of the same colour for whatever reason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-07, 10:15am
Triumphantly Knit!

ahhhhhh soooooooo!!!!

LOL!!!

Rowyn
Old 2011-02-07, 2:52pm
Unmedicated since '62

sorry, its something i actually could have done differently with a bit more brain energy but i only worked out it was doing that just before i launched it so i took the easy way out by making sure every colour name was different

Old 2011-03-02, 9:55pm
Glass and silver addict

Ohhh can't believe i only just found this thread ! Awesome... and you are only up the road from me ! ( i am at Holmesville)

(hasn't been updated for...Hmmm... 2+ years..due to NO time !!)
Old 2011-03-02, 10:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

really! i'm at Coal Point

Old 2011-03-03, 11:20am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Any progress on the update version of StashMaster?
Old 2011-03-04, 5:33pm
Glass and silver addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
really! i'm at Coal Point
Gee you really are only down the road !!!

(hasn't been updated for...Hmmm... 2+ years..due to NO time !!)
Old 2011-03-04, 5:47pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Any progress on the update version of StashMaster?
yes and no - its basically finished, all the changes and improvements made, i just have one teeny tiny problem - i cant figure out a way for the people who have the runtime version to be able to transfer their existing data to the new version, piece of cake if you have full version Access 2010

i think i have a way, it involves adding an import function to the new version but that will also involve some detailed instructions to change the file details for the old version

Old 2011-03-08, 4:20pm

Location: Liechtenstein (a tiny country located in Europe, next to Switzerland)
Wink Database template for Bento 3

I made a template for Bento 3 (for Mac, iPad and iPhone) database for Lampworkers. It's the first template I ever made using a database program. If anybody is familiar with database programming he or she could maybe adapt the formulas.
Here you can download it. The database software Bento 3 can be downloaded as a 30 day trial. Link for template: https://files.me.com/choschiba/buoicp

Last edited by choschiba; 2011-03-09 at 12:26am.
Old 2011-03-08, 6:57pm
Unmedicated since '62

thanks! i've been trying to adapt it to my ipad, i'll download it and try it out

Old 2011-03-09, 12:24am

I'm curious to hear if it works!!
Old 2011-03-09, 2:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

version 1.3 will be up today or tomorrow, this is the new order form, does this look ok?
Attached Images

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-03-09 at 3:47pm.
Old 2011-03-09, 3:40pm

Wow, you're a genious! I'n not familiar with these formulas. So it seems to work on an iPad. Could you share the adapted version?
I've searched the internet on how to create formulas but I couldn't find anything.
I don't know how to use Excel or Access either.
Old 2011-03-09, 3:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by choschiba View Post
Wow, you're a genious! I'n not familiar with these formulas. So it seems to work on an iPad. Could you share the adapted version?
I've searched the internet on how to create formulas but I couldn't find anything.
I don't know how to use Excel or Access either.
this is not yours, sorry, i'm still working on the new version of StashMaster - this is the order form for the new version

i havent been able to put my database on Ipad because it needs Access to run and there is no version for either Ipad or mac

Old 2011-03-09, 4:04pm

I think that form looks good. The whole thing is very awesome! I will download it and have a look at it tonight if you want. I have Access 2010, if that matters. I think I have 2007 here at the office if you want to know how it works on that version.
Old 2011-03-09, 4:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

it doesnt work at all on 2007 - only 2010 or the free runtime version

i'll put this up with a new readme file with more detailed how to instructions

Old 2011-03-09, 4:25pm
Unmedicated since '62

so there's good news and bad news - bad first

i cannot figure a way to transfer your data from 1.2 to 1.3 if you're using runtime - i've been trying out lots of methods and i can't come up with anything.

if you have the full version its a breeze

so if you have a LOT of data and need to change it over pm me and we'll work something out - i'm not leaving anybody in the lurch

good news? here's the list from the readme that you can now do, some old but enhanced and lots of new stuff

What it does

• It lets you keep track of all your glass - rods, frit, powders, sheet, etc – so you can simply have a list of all the glass you have without listing quantities or weights etc
• Additionally, it lets you track quantities by any unit of measure you choose and you can mix the UOM, so you can keep glass from one manufacture in pounds, while you keep another by rod or oz or bag etc
• You can create a list of labels; export the information to a spreadsheet (Excel), using that you can then print labels in any format or label size you choose. (see separate instructions for label printing)
• You can create and print wish lists to help you place orders with suppliers
• You can keep track of issues, problems, techniques and experiments via the comments and torch notes sections
• You can tag any glass with an unlimited number of attributes – i.e. silver, striking, opalino etc. The database already contains more than twenty different attributes but you can create more as you come across new ones.
• You can upload up to six images – these can be anything you choose, pictures downloaded from suppliers, images of your own beads or paddle shots
• You can add new glass colours as they become available, you can also add new manufacturers, COEs, glass types, attributes, UOM.
• You can delete colours you don’t use or you’ve duplicated
• You can export lists to excel of all the information in the database so you can then use the data for costing or other programs
• Best of all, even if you are totally disorganised like me, you can give the impression that you truly have it all together because goddammit – you have a database!

Old 2011-03-09, 4:47pm
Karen James

I'm ready for 1.3!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-03-09, 5:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

transferred from the bathroom...

a solution for mac peeps

ok, here is a suggestion - you mac guys think about it

check out this deal - http://www.filemaker.com.au/promos/fmgo/

this would cost $199 - so if at least ten people were prepared to pay $20 each that would cover the software, then you would have to have the software on your computer so you would also have to buy the $199 version, this is a very good deal because it normally costs about $450 and you would have the database on your Ipad and Iphone (if you have one)

if you guys want to do this then i'm happy to reacreate the database on Filemaker - i just rang them and all the tables can be imported, i would just have to recreate the structure again, might take me a couple of weeks

Old 2011-03-10, 9:08am
Master Procrastinator

Looks BEYOND excellent to me Deb!

Old 2011-03-10, 10:41am

Deb, I know the work you put in on this, and just the fact you did it in Access is amazing because of the restrictions. I'm looking forward to trying out 1.3, and I'm saving my money to send to your OxyCon fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
so there's good news and bad news - bad first

i cannot figure a way to transfer your data from 1.2 to 1.3 if you're using runtime - i've been trying out lots of methods and i can't come up with anything.

if you have the full version its a breeze

so if you have a LOT of data and need to change it over pm me and we'll work something out - i'm not leaving anybody in the lurch

good news? here's the list from the readme that you can now do, some old but enhanced and lots of new stuff

What it does

• It lets you keep track of all your glass - rods, frit, powders, sheet, etc – so you can simply have a list of all the glass you have without listing quantities or weights etc
• Additionally, it lets you track quantities by any unit of measure you choose and you can mix the UOM, so you can keep glass from one manufacture in pounds, while you keep another by rod or oz or bag etc
• You can create a list of labels; export the information to a spreadsheet (Excel), using that you can then print labels in any format or label size you choose. (see separate instructions for label printing)
• You can create and print wish lists to help you place orders with suppliers
• You can keep track of issues, problems, techniques and experiments via the comments and torch notes sections
• You can tag any glass with an unlimited number of attributes – i.e. silver, striking, opalino etc. The database already contains more than twenty different attributes but you can create more as you come across new ones.
• You can upload up to six images – these can be anything you choose, pictures downloaded from suppliers, images of your own beads or paddle shots
• You can add new glass colours as they become available, you can also add new manufacturers, COEs, glass types, attributes, UOM.
• You can delete colours you don’t use or you’ve duplicated
• You can export lists to excel of all the information in the database so you can then use the data for costing or other programs
• Best of all, even if you are totally disorganised like me, you can give the impression that you truly have it all together because goddammit – you have a database!
Old 2011-03-11, 3:01am

I can't get it to open. What do I need?

Old 2011-03-11, 6:08am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
I can't get it to open. What do I need?
go get the readme file - you need to download MS Access runtime if you dont have Access 2010 loaded already - but if you wait till tomorrow i should have the new version up

Old 2011-03-11, 9:52am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Deb,

Thank you, always, for the work you continue to do on this. I, finally, got my new computer, although I think I'll be sending this one back, too, it's only somewhat better than the last one, I think Dell just has a lemon.
Before I start office this time should I download the runtime or will that just be wiped out when office 2010 installs itself?
I have been using stashmaster on my other machine, but I am hoping to retire that one once I get a new more reliable machine running.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-03-11, 2:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

if your new machine has office pro 2010 then you'll get the full version of Access, otherwise you'll need to install the runtime version again

Old 2011-03-11, 7:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Hey Deb - some questions.

Is there anyway to get it to default to "have this glass" since most of what people would be putting in would be glass they own?

Also, can you get the cursor to default to the "save" box when you hit enter after any of the fields?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

Last edited by squid; 2011-03-11 at 7:57pm.
Old 2011-03-11, 8:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

And before I add a bunch to 1.2, do you know yet when you are posting 1.3?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-03-12, 4:53am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Hey Deb - some questions.

Is there anyway to get it to default to "have this glass" since most of what people would be putting in would be glass they own?

Also, can you get the cursor to default to the "save" box when you hit enter after any of the fields?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
And before I add a bunch to 1.2, do you know yet when you are posting 1.3?
i think i can default to have this glass

not so sure about the save after each field because of the way the form works but i'll look at it

just tidying up a few thing and i'll put it up - or rather Jason will

i've just been a bit tied up today, its my DD's 21st birthday tomorrow and i've been cooking for her party all day

Old 2011-03-12, 8:55am
Master Procrastinator

SHEESH! Some people will use any excuse! JK! Happy Birthday to your DD Deb!

Old 2011-03-12, 4:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

thanks - she's actually having 2 parties, one for her friends and one for family - actually three if you count the massive family breakfast we're having this morning, i'm off to make blueberry pancakes!