Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-07, 8:15am
Always smiling, again.

This looks like labradorite! Simply stunning!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge! You rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
2) Same treatment as above - only blue luster, but I tried to melt a little cooler. This left in much more of the sheen under the clear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-07, 8:47am
sunscreen me baby

The only one I liked out of all the lusters I tried was the peacock blue luster. Here it is with a swipe of reactive clear. I lost the luster on the rest of the bead while encasing but I wanted to see the difference reactive clear made.
Attached Images

~

Old 2010-08-08, 6:03am
Karen James

I'm having the same problem when I encase. I seem to either loose all the color/lustre or the metallic moves to the top of the bead and just looks kind of messy. I don't know if maybe I am encasing too thickly and having to heat the bead up too much to even everything out or what. I'm not done trying though.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-08-10, 2:27am

OK. I bought Kim's tutorial because I didn't really know how to get the colors. I am just beginning to get them, and have ordered some of the reactive clear, but how many times do you have to re-enter the flame to get these colors. They are soooo beautiful!! All I got out of the amber was a milky creamy color, and I don't know whether I am doing too much or too litte. Kim says 1-2 seconds in the flame in her tutorial. Does that work for Bullseye too?

Old 2010-08-10, 4:22am
sunscreen me baby

I think encasing them is advanced technique Try just making them shimmer or change color first.

Some of the lusters like only a hint of propane. Instead of putting the bead into the propane flame, I sort of brush the edges of the bead with it. The amber will slowly start to shimmer. But less is more when trying to get it to happen. I find I roll it once or twice and then check to see if it's starting to shine. Once you see it start to happen just keep doing the same thing to increase the shine.

Don't be afraid to blast them with oxy to get it back to the original state and keep trying. Most of them are pretty forgiving that way.

Some of the others want a lot more abuse, like the dark aurora.

~

Old 2010-08-10, 4:33am

Thanks. I'll try without encasing first.

Old 2010-09-04, 3:14pm

I got some wonderful effects by drawing blue lustre stringer on top of nougat, reducing, and encasing with schott clear. (Also on this bead: strata, and dots of silvered strata stringer.)

Old 2010-09-05, 5:56am
Karen James

Ooohh. That is very pretty Danielle. Hoping to get back to the torch at some point this week. Life's been a bit busy and I have new glass...I'm itching to get there!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-09-06, 11:32pm
Duchess of Dichro

Beautiful Danielle

Old 2010-09-07, 3:40pm

Thanks! I just love the depth of color you can get with lustre stringer over reactive bases. It looks like some of the 104 silver glasses to me. Fun to play with!

Old 2010-09-08, 1:24pm

Nice Danielle!