No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-04, 3:04pm

Default Did You Know?

Hi,

I'm new to participating in this forum, so I'm not quite sure what the heck I am doing, but I have a tip that I would like to share with everyone. Here is my humble offering....
If you need to have a mark on your mandrel that is not going to disappear in the flame, use a prismacolor Indigo blue pencil that they sell individually at Michaels. The mark stays through the whole torching process. I heat my mandrel slightly(a couple of wafts through the flame)and then make my marks. The slightly heated mandrel lets the mark glide on like butter without digging into your bead release. Don't accidentally touch the mandrel silly!You will burn your fingers! Woo Hoo my first posted tip. Now I have to really get the courage up to someday post a bead in the gallery.

Thanks for listening,
Jeannie
Old 2010-10-04, 3:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for the tip, it is on my shopping list. I have been frustrated when I lose the mark so quickly when using a sharpie pen. Can I ask which department you would normally find these pens in Michaels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-04, 3:40pm

Hi Jacqueline,

I'm that pesky person that was asking you all of those questions last night! You inspired me to come out and play. You can find the pencils in the drawing section of Michaels or probably any craft or art store. And they are in little cubbys that have the individual different colored pencil in each slot.(At least that is how they are displayed at Michaels) They are basically just fancy drawing colored pencils. Make sure that you get the Indigo Blue one.

Jeannie
Old 2010-10-04, 3:52pm
honorary bead lady

OK Jeannie...come on you can do it,
post a bead,
it really will not hurt

Well maybe if it is really fugly
Old 2010-10-04, 3:57pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you and you weren't pestering me

I will pick up one tomorrow. I love all these little hints that make lampwork easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsky View Post
Hi Jacqueline,

I'm that pesky person that was asking you all of those questions last night! You inspired me to come out and play. You can find the pencils in the drawing section of Michaels or probably any craft or art store. And they are in little cubbys that have the individual different colored pencil in each slot.(At least that is how they are displayed at Michaels) They are basically just fancy drawing colored pencils. Make sure that you get the Indigo Blue one.

Jeannie

Old 2010-10-04, 4:06pm

Hi David,

Ha Ha!That made me laugh! I'm afraid that I maybe should post in Kimberly's fuglie bead thread first. I am trying to build my courage, but I also have to figure out the whole issue of doing the little beadies photo ops.

Jeannie
Old 2010-10-04, 4:39pm
honorary bead lady

Newbie beads don't count as fuglies
Old 2010-10-04, 7:14pm
Formerly FishBulb

That's an excellent tip! I was thinking of this yesterday, wondering what I could use instead of Sharpie pens. I will have to check these out.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-04, 8:14pm
Now in living color

That's a great tip! I can't wait to try it. Thanks.

Old 2010-10-04, 9:15pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Wondeful tip, thanks for sharing. I am tired of fighting with sharpie marks.

Old 2010-10-04, 9:29pm
one day at a time

Thanks! Using a marker was handy when I used to make lentils, and now there's one that won't disappear!
Old 2010-10-04, 9:51pm

I was thinking ... here we go, a tip that we all know from an newbie (and we were all newbies at some point I know, and respect that) and WOW! You've surprised me! Great tip!

Off to find an Indigo blue prismacolor!

Thanks!
sadie

Old 2010-10-04, 10:01pm
Live and Let Live

Oooh, I will have to get one of these. Thanks so much for the info!

Old 2010-10-04, 10:38pm
Salt Box Beads

Ditto what everyone else said. Many Thanks!
Old 2010-10-05, 1:28am
I'm a lilac!

That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing it.

Old 2010-10-05, 7:20am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for sharing this! I got so tired of Sharpie marks disappearing that I was just eyeballing it, and you all know how that can go....Yay Indigo Blue Prismacolor! There's even a Michael's not too far. Yay again!

Old 2010-10-05, 7:33am
Did someone say SALE?

That is fantastic! Thank you!!! And another vote for showing the beadies when you get the photos figured out.
Old 2010-10-05, 8:17am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thanks a lot! I need to import one ... that brand is not available in South Africa

Old 2010-10-05, 11:32am
The Beadstress

Jeannie - thanks so much for the tip! I had given up on the sharpie mark, so I'm so glad to hear there is a product that will stay

It always works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end. - this is what my sister tells me
Old 2010-10-05, 12:06pm

ooohhhh, I am so excited, look at all of you nice people from everywhere being interested in my tip!! I hope it makes your torching experience a little easier. Michael's is going to wonder what the heck is up with the big run on Prismacolor Indigo blue pencils? By the way, I don't know if there are any other brands of Indigo Blue pencils that might work besides Prismacolor, it is the only brand that I have ever used.

Jeannie
Old 2010-10-05, 5:11pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I did neon for many years and we used grease pencils to mark our tubing for where to heat, the blue ones are better than the red or black( they look sort of robins egg blue), and the marks will stay even in the flame

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-10-05, 6:09pm
Not really a tree.

Very clever! Thanks so much for sharing. I have a hojillion Prismacolor pencils here, can't wait to try this. I need all the help I can get!

Kristi

/
Old 2010-10-05, 6:13pm
And silence is golden

Thanks Jeannie!
Old 2010-10-05, 6:34pm
Back to 👊 1

Ahhh, but does this guarantee that I will NOT buy the whole set?

Thanks for the great tip!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-10-07, 2:53pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Thanks so much! I hate it too when the Sharpie disappears!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2010-10-07, 10:34pm
I speak Murrini!

How very generous of you to share and I must say, you've joined in with a *BANG*!!! I am already thinking, "This girl is a NATURAL"!

Welcome to the wonderful world of glass!

(Now go figure out how to post pictures of your beads...I can't wait to see 'em!)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-10-09, 11:49am
Formerly FishBulb

Jeannie, I have finally made my way to the torch this morning and your tip is perfect! I bought one of those pencils a couple of days ago and it works beautifully!! Right now I'm using a tool where it would be a real bugger to have to eyeball the amount of glass, so this tip came just in time for me.

Thank you so much!!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-09, 2:33pm

Thank you for the tip! Now another good reason to go to Michaels! I have just started trying to make lentil beads with my press and this will come in handy. I haven't had much luck so far. I either get too much glass or not enough. Well at least I will be able to make some marks that will stay put.

Cheryl
Old 2010-10-09, 3:10pm

DeAnne- Thanks for the welcome. I feel like I have just been sitting on the sidelines just dying to get in there and play! I just joined the silver exchange and Woo Hoo, am I ever excited!!

Angie- I am so glad that the tip worked for you. It really made life a whole lot easier for me.

Cheryl- Good luck with using your press. I am struggling right now too, trying to get a nice pressing from my slim straight sided lentil press. UUggghhhh!! I think that I have found each and every way to do something wrong so that it doesn't work. You would think that pretty soon I will be able to correct all of the things I am doing wrong and not come up with anything new!

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2010-10-09, 4:02pm

Holy Cow!!

I "just" reread my post. Three "just"s right in a row. That must be some kind of record!

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)