Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-25, 11:01pm

Someone just sent me a private message asking who teaches the flower implosion and I'm not sure if my reply was sent. so I will repeat here what I said. I haven't taken a lesson I have just read what is here and looked at youtube and lots of practise. but John K teaches but I don't know how to get a hold of him. Someone here might know how to get a hold of him.
Old 2010-12-26, 6:53am
Pyromaniac

John Kobuki is a member here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/member.php?u=8737

He also has a webpage

http://www.kobukiglass.com/

Or, alternately, you can find him on the Melting Pot as well:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/member.php?u=1102

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2010-12-26 at 6:56am.
Old 2010-12-26, 8:37am
Life is good

Yea, I think he has his class schedule on his website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-26, 10:02am

Sweet thanks hope the lady that emailed me is checking.
Old 2011-01-04, 11:10pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

Here is a wierd shaped one I did today...lol
Name:  lol 012.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  lol 017.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  51.5 KB

Old 2011-01-05, 5:48am
Glassmangler

Deb - One of the darker cobalts (5 or 6) over borostix white for the petals, Experimental Green #5 over borostix white for the leaves.

I strongly recommend a class from John K. Getting to watch him work and pick his brain was the highlight of AGI for me last summer (once I got the brains off of my shrimp fork).
Old 2011-01-05, 7:16am

Another active teacher of flower implosions is Dan Grumbling (DanG on here)

He's teaching for the second time at Indy Flame Art Glass Studio (Indianapolis) in February. I'm not sure if there are any seats left but there may be.

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.

Last edited by indyglassman; 2011-01-05 at 7:18am.
Old 2011-01-05, 9:10am

Thanks for the info guys I would love to take a course from both those guys but financial its just not going to happen this year maybe next year. I love your little gem Steven.
Old 2011-01-06, 9:20am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Thanks Deb! Got alot of PPP to do especially on the bail part...lol

Old 2011-01-06, 9:26am

Wow everyone!!
Those are just beautiful.
I am having a really hard time getting implosions down
Mine look terrible!
Old 2011-01-06, 9:27am

The bail is one of the hardest parts.
Old 2011-04-16, 10:09am

Ok I have been playing around with some implosions and I got a hold of some dense white and decided to play and resurrect this thread.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-16, 11:02am
birdergirl ~o~

nice!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2011-04-16, 10:32pm

They look lovely Deb.
Old 2011-04-17, 4:56am
Never give up

Wow very nice.
Old 2011-04-17, 7:21am

Thank I used the same white to do some retichello yesterday and I think they turn out nice too. I will take pictures tonight.

Old 2011-04-17, 10:29am
Curmudgeon Engineering

What exactly is the 'dense white' you used? I think I have at least 5 different whites in the rack.
Thanks, PJH
Old 2011-04-17, 6:33pm

Jamie from Sleepy creek was kind enough to through a couple of ns star white in with some boro bars I bought from him (her). That is what I used, there was a little bit of bubbling when I first started heating it but after it was hot i pulled the gather into a stringer and it was good, I was still careful with the flame on it until it was melted in but it worked nicely in.

Old 2011-04-18, 9:00am

Another flower implosion with ns star white.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-18, 9:05am

Just want to see if this picture is clearer.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-18, 10:46am
Hobby Junkie

Very pretty Deb! You are really getting the hang of them!

For implosions, I really like Asian White (China white... each vendor calls it something different). You have to smoosh and swirl it around a bit in the flame before you pull it into a stringer. Then it is smoooooth. No bubbling. Very dense color. If you PM me your address, I can send you part of a rod to play with.

Old 2011-04-18, 11:47am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Thanks Deb. I like the asian white best. Mine is called White Tiger from Trautman IIRC. Maybe I'll have to revisit NS Star White a bit.
Old 2011-04-18, 4:37pm

That would be sweet Cori thanks. I will pm you.

Old 2011-04-18, 8:57pm

Default stringer question

Wow, what fantastic work! Every time I lay stringer on my maria and then heat it is shrinks into dots, which gives me 'finger' implosions no petals. I seem to only get big dots or little dots. What am I doing wrong?

J. Krishnamurti

[url]www.BlownAFuseGlass.etsy.com
Old 2011-04-19, 5:20am
Pyromaniac

Make sure A) Your stringer isn't too thin (2-3 mm is probably good to learn with, paperclip or thinner is probably too thin) B) Your maria isn't too cold and C) that you lay the stringer on nice and hot (it should be soft).

If you want I could probably show you how I do some stuff too. Sometimes just seeing it in realtime helps.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2011-04-20 at 6:35am.
Old 2011-04-19, 5:50am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-d View Post
Wow, what fantastic work! Every time I lay stringer on my maria and then heat it is shrinks into dots, which gives me 'finger' implosions no petals. I seem to only get big dots or little dots. What am I doing wrong?
Use more pressure when laying the stringer on. You want it firmly attached before you start melting it in. If it's not, it will draw up into a ball when you heat it.

Old 2011-04-19, 8:10am

Yup what they said, if I think it might shrink up on me I will also give it a little press on the marver before putting on the next petal then flash the face of the marinia where the next line will go. I will use my pick to press the end part of the stringer because that is where I get the most shrinkage I will do this before I lay on the next petal also. some flowers take along time to do but spending the time at this point will gives you better results. Stringer control is one of the hardest but most rewarding technique to learn because you use it with everything. I practice daily with a warm up piece laying random lines on a clear rod and make it into a pendant. The trick with laying on stringers is to find the right spot near the flame, not in the flame. You want the stringer soft but not soft like a cooked noodle. What I want to try today is some dense white (ns star white) dots that I will pull each one with the pick I am hoping it will look kinda like a daisy.

Old 2011-04-19, 10:32am

I'll give these suggestions a try and see what I come up with, my dots implode pretty well so once I get some stringer control things should get better. And Chris, I'd definately take you up on your offer some time.

J. Krishnamurti

Old 2011-04-23, 11:32am

How is the stringer control coming Nate. When I was playing around the other day I was having trouble with a line not wanting to lay down proper and it was because my marina or base to what I was drawing on was not hot enough. Try a little experiment in laying down a line of color on a cool clear rod you will see it doesn't lay down proper and wants to curl up. Then preheat your clear rod and try again the color will lay down better. When I am taking awhile to put a design on a piece I will flash that next spot to receive color just before I apply the stringer giving the base a shot of heat and the stringer will stick to the surface better.
Anyways I made this marble out of china white which is my most favourite white for implosions and stringer work. It needed very little mixing before it was pulled into a very smooth dense stringer.
Attached Images

Old 2011-04-23, 3:31pm

Deb those flowers are amazing! What angle do you hold your maria when making your petals. I've been holding mine at a pretty steep angle sometimes close to vertical but don't tell anybody and I think that is why I don't get much petal. My stringer contol is getting much better since I started using the outside of the flame instead of right next to the tip. LOL What's this I hear about mixing? What is it and how do you do it?

J. Krishnamurti