Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-04, 2:17pm

Smile Have you made twisties with fan?

I havent heard from any of you who got the battery operated fans from me. Have you made twisties yet? I make them all the time and they are great. Let me know. If you need help just tell me . I will help if I can.
Old 2006-11-05, 12:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1_$
I havent heard from any of you who got the battery operated fans from me. Have you made twisties yet? I make them all the time and they are great. Let me know. If you need help just tell me . I will help if I can.
I would love to have you post a tutorial. I bought one at local store and just made a mess!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_
Old 2006-11-05, 1:44am
Bead Bimbo

I bought one here in The Netherlands but have not tried it yet because I am a bit afraid I will mess up or burn myself...

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My forum:
Old 2006-11-05, 8:16am

Not yet. I got the bead glued on but now need to find a mandrel that will fit.

Old 2006-11-05, 8:22am

Default Making twisties with battery operated fan.

I have never made a tutorial before. And my spelling stinks. But I will give it a try.
The piece of mandrel I use on the the fan is about 1 1/2 in long. Keep the mandrel as straight as possible. You can remove excess glass off the mandrel after your finished by heating and putting the tip into cold water. Dont hit it on side of bowl of water it will bend mandrel. The glass will break off the mandrel. Alwase keep the mandrel as straight as possible. Check it by turning on the fan and see how it spins.If it spins kinda floppy bend the mandrel a tiny bit to get it straight. Try to keep it as straight as possable. Dont try this till you read all of this. Its important to read befour you try this.
After you make the twistie puller out of the battery operated fan. Make you gather like you alwase do for twisties but instead of using another rod of glass for punt heat the end of the mandrel and punt it into the gather. Remove from heat wait a few seconds and pull slow. You can slow down the fan by touching the bead with your thumb. Once you get the feel for it you will make great twisties. Just dont pull fast and use your thumb to slow down the fan. I make great twisties now and have alot of them all colors. Have fun and be safe. DONT PULL TO FAST IT WILL SLING TINY TWISTIES EVERWHERE.THE FAN DOES GO FAST YOU HAVE TO SLOW IT DOWN WITH YOUR THUMB. BE SAFE. Have a ball. Hope this helps. Mary Miller

Last edited by mary1_$; 2007-04-24 at 8:07pm.
Old 2006-11-05, 10:57am

Mary, great tutorial!! I rated this thread 5 stars, thanks

_
Old 2006-11-05, 11:49am

Thanks so much. I was scared to do the tutorial but you needed it. I make a fool out of myself sometimes trying something new or trying to express myself. Glad to help. Mary
Old 2006-11-06, 6:37pm

What a great idea.. I struggle with twisties because my left hand doesn't work like my right,

i am excited to try this...
Old 2006-11-07, 10:22am

EsterD hope the instructions and photo helps. Try it but read all the instructions first.Beachbeads thanks for rating. Was kinda scared to do it as my spelling strinks and this was my first. Just hope it helps. People with arthur have a bad time with twisties. Mary Miller
Old 2006-11-07, 10:55am
Bead Bimbo

Thanks Mary, I am going to try what you explained.

My blog:

My forum:
Old 2006-11-08, 8:32pm

bump. Havent heard ifyou like it or not.Designsbyrobecca, or Beachbeads. Just wondering how you like it. Mary M