Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-07-23, 4:24pm

nope...there are separate valves for the oxygen and propane for the center and outer fire even though the propane and oxygen source are from the same tanks/concentrators. You can control if it's on or not independent of each other.
Old 2009-07-23, 4:26pm
I need more boro stuff

DUH!!! I think I mixed up between the 'knobs' and 'stud'

Thanks squid and Wonker

ETA: you were typing the same time with me, Wonker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-23, 4:28pm

How's it going to be for Boro? I'm on a Cuda now.

Old 2009-07-23, 4:35pm

Do I understand correctly that you can run this off 1 oxycon, or does it need 2?

Old 2009-07-23, 5:48pm
Ad astra per aspera

Can it run on house pressure NG instead of propane? How does it compare to a Midrange?

Old 2009-07-23, 6:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Black View Post
Will it run on standard household ng presure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Yes, it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Can it run on house pressure NG instead of propane? How does it compare to a Midrange?

See above. It was posted in a different thread, so I brought them over to this one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-07-24, 2:19am
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelement View Post
With a OXY con you would not want to set up on the second ports with a foot pedal as would cause backup pressure when not rageing. Unless I am missing something. i think I may buy this thing. They have some of these already made and are for sale today? looks sweet.
If your running on a two stud the outer ring can still be closed blocking oxy which would be just like running a four stud with a pedal. Someone correct me if my logic is wrong?

Old 2009-07-24, 3:52am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
If your running on a two stud the outer ring can still be closed blocking oxy which would be just like running a four stud with a pedal. Someone correct me if my logic is wrong?
Your logic is wrong, .

(If you're running a 2 stud with the outer ring closed, the oxygen would just be diverted to the inner ring, not blocked off. Theres only 1 oxy inlet and you're still using it for the inner fire. You're just not using as much as when both are open.)

Old 2009-07-24, 4:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
It depends on the way you have your oxy going in. If you have all your concentrators putting in the air to a common hose you can use a foot pedal on the four stud because the pedal has a bypass for the centerfire so you will not be cutting off the outlet of oxy.

If instead you have one concentrator feeding the centerfire directly and the second feeding the outer fire, you cannot shut off the outer fire either using a foot pedal or the knobs directly. You might be able to use the knobs to turn off the gas and then turn down the oxygen to a very low level and not backpressure your oxycon. That would probably depend on the oxycon brand on what the minimum flow needs to be.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-24, 5:17am
GlassDocNC

Woo! Placed my order this morning!
Old 2009-07-24, 5:24am
Borovangelist

Any chance of some action shots to see how the flames look on it tanked vs. oxy? How it compares to what people currently have, etc.....

|
|
Old 2009-07-24, 5:47am
I need more boro stuff

I really have to stop reading about this new scorpion.... I really want it

Old 2009-07-24, 6:15am

http://www.glasstorchtech.com/torches.html

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2009-07-24, 12:23pm

The Scorpion sounds interesting for sure. Maybe when they post comparisons, I would be interested in this torch with a Regalia, in comparison to a Cheetah with tanked oxygen. Would one Regalia run this torch full out, or would it need two to compare to tanked oxygen?
Vickie

My website:

Old 2009-07-24, 1:13pm

It sounds like it should be fine on a Regalia. This is what GTT says on their site:

"Oxygen consumption is 11 LPM (22 CFH) at the maximum flame size. It requires as low as ¼ psi to 5 psi of natural gas or propane with a low consumption rate of 1.5 LPM (3 CFH) at the maximum flame size."

Since it is rare to run a torch at maximum, at 10 LPM concentrator should be very good.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-24, 1:35pm

If you want to run a foot pedal you need to talk to smutboy over at www.hotasstools.com he has a foot pedal designed specifically for people running oxycon's. I've been dying to get one for my phantom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelement View Post
With a OXY con you would not want to set up on the second ports with a foot pedal as would cause backup pressure when not rageing. Unless I am missing something. i think I may buy this thing. They have some of these already made and are for sale today? looks sweet.
Old 2009-07-24, 4:44pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
It sounds like it should be fine on a Regalia. This is what GTT says on their site:

"Oxygen consumption is 11 LPM (22 CFH) at the maximum flame size. It requires as low as ¼ psi to 5 psi of natural gas or propane with a low consumption rate of 1.5 LPM (3 CFH) at the maximum flame size."

Since it is rare to run a torch at maximum, at 10 LPM concentrator should be very good.
I saw that one on their site. I wonder if I can run it with my 8lpm Airsep? either with 2 stud or 4 stud version.

Old 2009-07-24, 5:30pm
Cali4nia baby

Will it work well with a EX-15? Or is it needing 2 EX-15s? It really sounds wonderful !

Last edited by FairyVerre; 2009-07-24 at 5:31pm. Reason: xtra
Old 2009-07-24, 8:11pm
PyronamixK

Willy and I ran the Scorpion on an M-20 dialed down to 8 LPM to mimic the M-15/EX-15 and it did well. It did better on 10 LPM, but still did well on 8. We ran it on a 5 LPM Invacare, and saw that it could get a small, but still usable flame on that. I would recommend running one on 8 LPM or 10 LPM (two 5 LPM units or a single 10 LPM unit) if you can to get the most you can out of it.
Old 2009-07-24, 8:32pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Ok... so could you use NG AND propane if you had the 4 stud?
I don't see why not if you were so inclined.
Old 2009-07-24, 9:27pm
Dakine glass man

My big question is flame control....am i gonna be able to get the wide range of atmospheres and flame sizes that i can get with my phantom? In a torch like this I'm lookin for the ability to get a pinpoint flame as well as achieve a really oxidizing flame to work my metal heavy boro colors. If this torch does those 2 things i'll be orderin one asap!!

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2009-07-24, 9:34pm
Fancy Mammal

I'm guessing with the Phantom you can get a bigger flame, since the Phantom has more jets. Though I now *need* to see how small a flame I can get with the cricket.... yes, that really is a need
Old 2009-07-24, 9:48pm
Dakine glass man

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal View Post
I'm guessing with the Phantom you can get a bigger flame, since the Phantom has more jets. Though I now *need* to see how small a flame I can get with the cricket.... yes, that really is a need
I held off on getting myself a cricket because i had heard that you can't get a good focused pinpoint.....so if that's true then it would stand to reason that the scorpion won't focus either......PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG!! I really want a new gtt!!

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2009-07-24, 9:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Willy and I ran the Scorpion on an M-20 dialed down to 8 LPM to mimic the M-15/EX-15 and it did well. It did better on 10 LPM, but still did well on 8. We ran it on a 5 LPM Invacare, and saw that it could get a small, but still usable flame on that. I would recommend running one on 8 LPM or 10 LPM (two 5 LPM units or a single 10 LPM unit) if you can to get the most you can out of it.
So I'm guessing it would do well on 2 M-15's hooked together? Or would I be better off with the Cheetah to do both boro and soft glass?

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-07-25, 1:21am
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Your logic is wrong, .

(If you're running a 2 stud with the outer ring closed, the oxygen would just be diverted to the inner ring, not blocked off. Theres only 1 oxy inlet and you're still using it for the inner fire. You're just not using as much as when both are open.)
I guess I should have made my logic clearer That's what I get for posting at 4am lol

If you are running one oxycon for the whole torch and Y'd off to the 2 oxy studs there would be no blockage cause it would divert it to the inner rings.

I hope someone shoots a video of the flame characteristics of this torch. This may be the torch I've been waiting for. But I will wait to hear everyone's comments on it before getting one. Hopefully before the introductory price is gone...

Old 2009-07-25, 6:43am
PyronamixK

Hey John, are you on tanked or concentrators?
Old 2009-07-25, 11:23am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
I held off on getting myself a cricket because i had heard that you can't get a good focused pinpoint.....so if that's true then it would stand to reason that the scorpion won't focus either......PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG!! I really want a new gtt!!
Well, that's not entirely true. You can get a focused pinpoint on the Cricket. It's just not as tiny as the one you can get with the Lynx because you don't have that second oxy knob.

Old 2009-07-25, 5:53pm
Butterfly Rancher

Scorpion photos taken Thursday evening at Open Torch at the Gathering. I'm too tired to bring them all over here to LE but I think you should be able to access my online album from this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/debrekah...u5_amR39v51gE#

I did bring this one over because this Scorpion had been hooked up to the Regalia oxycon at 10 on the flow meter.

Edited to add: Right next to her, was someone doing very intricate stringer work and he was able to dial the torch way down. I was amazed at how pinpoint the flame became. Also if you look beside the torch at the large diameter boro rod, she was able to melt that with ease.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado

Last edited by Beckah; 2009-07-25 at 5:56pm.
Old 2009-07-25, 8:28pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks for the pics, Beckah.

Old 2009-07-26, 12:40am

Anyone want a midrange with mega minor??? I WANT A SCORPIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
j/k...but seriusly!