LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-06-01, 7:31am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Marianne, woohoo, another Brisbane girl , I am at Gumdale (between Carindale & Manly, down the bayside area if you don't know where it is). I know Camira, I grew up in Sherwood, so I know the western suburbs well . I put Brisbane, Sunshine State, Australia because I put just Sunshine State & someone on here thought I lived in Florida .

Marla, good job on the raku, looks like your on the right track there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-03, 5:19pm

So I wanted to try the Opals in Dawn's tut. But they didn't look at all like hers and I thought I must have missed something and I did.

So I went back and read ALL the directions and made some more.
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-05, 7:49am

Pat, they are gorgeous. Today is the day I pull out my DH stash I've been afraid to use. That stuff is so pricey. The tutorial is giving me confidence to try. It's only money I'm burning up, right?
Old 2013-06-05, 8:00am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Don't be afraid to use expensive glass. Here is how I look at it...

You pay $25 per 1/4#.

You sell a set of beads made from it for $25 or more (a single focal is even better because that uses less glass than a set).

You should have about 3-4 rods left from the 1/4# bundle.

You made up your cost in that $25 sale and now the remaining rods mean extra profit over and above the cost of the glass.

Depending on how I use expensive glass, I can make double or triple the cost of the glass in my final product.

Don't be afraid to use it - whether it's DH or odd lots! It pays for itself (if you sell your beads that is).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-05, 12:24pm

Smile

Dawn, what a wonderful tutorial - details and photographs are great! I just downloaded and printed a copy, and also added it to my lampwork tutorials DVD. Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful information!
Old 2013-06-05, 12:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Here's another set from the tut. I'm pretty happy with them but wish they had a little more color.
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-05, 1:01pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Don't be afraid to use expensive glass. Here is how I look at it...

You pay $25 per 1/4#.

You sell a set of beads made from it for $25 or more (a single focal is even better because that uses less glass than a set).

You should have about 3-4 rods left from the 1/4# bundle.

You made up your cost in that $25 sale and now the remaining rods mean extra profit over and above the cost of the glass.

Depending on how I use expensive glass, I can make double or triple the cost of the glass in my final product.

Don't be afraid to use it - whether it's DH or odd lots! It pays for itself (if you sell your beads that is).
Yep, this is the same way I think about it! I even tried a few colors I couldn't get to work for me in the past (Luna 2, Khaos and another odd lot) and by following my own "get to know your glass" advise, I was able to make it work! I made a couple BHB's which should pay for each bundle and I still have almost the whole bundle left!

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-06-05, 1:02pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn1 View Post
Dawn, what a wonderful tutorial - details and photographs are great! I just downloaded and printed a copy, and also added it to my lampwork tutorials DVD. Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful information!
Dawn
Art Insomnia....because art never sleeps!

Old 2013-06-05, 1:04pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
So I wanted to try the Opals in Dawn's tut. But they didn't look at all like hers and I thought I must have missed something and I did.

So I went back and read ALL the directions and made some more.
Those are awesome, Pat! Even the blue one's without the foil are FABULOUS!!!

Old 2013-06-05, 1:08pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Here's another set from the tut. I'm pretty happy with them but wish they had a little more color.
Very, very pretty, Sheila!!! Don't be afraid to experiment with other light transparent encasing colors for more color.

Old 2013-06-05, 2:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Very, very pretty, Sheila!!! Don't be afraid to experiment with other light transparent encasing colors for more color.
These are encased in CIM Blush

Old 2013-06-05, 6:53pm

Go ahead , Marla. You can always start out with stringers, so you use less.
Old 2013-06-05, 10:39pm

Beautiful beads Sheila. I love this tut. I'm surprised at how little of the pricey glass is actually used. I'm real pleased with what I did today. Waiting for them to get out of the kiln. Pics tomorrow. Thanks again Dawn for your wonderful tutorial. I'm having a blast.
Old 2013-06-06, 6:16pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
These are encased in CIM Blush
I just got some CiM Pink Champagne. It's absolutely gorgeous in the rod. I can't wait to try it!

Old 2013-06-07, 1:41pm

These were fun to do. I think I'll make more.
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-07, 1:45pm

The first ones not so great. The second has great color.But blurry. Oops
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-07, 9:50pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Looking good, Pat! They all look fantastic! You've been busy!
I really enjoy seeing all the results!

Old 2013-10-02, 10:25am
Who me?

AGH, why did I wait so long to get this tutorial? Just got it and wow, I think I can manage a good portion of your lovely beads....what I mean is I have the glass, we'll see about the results...looking forward to trying.
Old 2013-10-02, 10:55am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
AGH, why did I wait so long to get this tutorial? Just got it and wow, I think I can manage a good portion of your lovely beads....what I mean is I have the glass, we'll see about the results...looking forward to trying.
Thank you so much, Linda! I can't wait to see your results. Be sure to post some pictures of your beads!

Old 2014-02-20, 5:30pm

This is my favorite tutorial I have tons of bead pics of beads I have made with this tutorial but cant seem to upload them . I have made the cost of the tutorial back PLUS . This is worth every penny ....
Old 2014-02-20, 9:27pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerlily View Post
This is my favorite tutorial I have tons of bead pics of beads I have made with this tutorial but cant seem to upload them . I have made the cost of the tutorial back PLUS . This is worth every penny ....
Awww...Thank you so much! I'm so happy you're enjoying it!

Old 2014-09-17, 12:08pm
where is that UPS man?

Lots of info great for beg to advanced. You can always learn something. Just awesome.

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2014-09-19, 7:52am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much, Deb!