Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-03-09, 12:17pm
working to pay for glass

Default o2 tanked or concentrator

I was interested to find out if someone could tell me what the benefit of using tanked o2 is ? over a concentrator
thanks Melissa
Old 2010-03-09, 12:32pm
as in the state

Ok.
Benefits include:
no waiting for warmup, no electricity needed, and you don't have to worry about oxygen fluctuations like you do if you have a temperamental oxycon or if you push the oxy limits of that oxycon in what you're doing. Also, if you live in an area that gets super hot (like AZ) you can overheat those oxycons and they will shut down (been there, done that...)

However, keep in mind oxygen can be a PITA in that you have to deal with switching out tanks (they're not light!) and can be quite costly initially. You have a couple of options: to purchase the tank and then swap it out when you need it like you do with propane, or to put the deposit down on the tank and when you're done with oxygen you can return the tank and get your money back.

Some oxy suppliers will bring the tanks in to you and cart off the empty one. Some will not, it depends on your setup and laws in your area.

Also, you have to be careful to have your oxy tank set up so that it won't fall over, especially with the cap of it off. Those tanks can become missiles and it's not pretty.
I plan on getting a dolly cart and chaining my tank to that so it is more stable and won't go anywhere.

I have a miniCC and 2 oxycons piggybacked, and have had no issues with them (except for the overheating thing, but it was summertime in AZ and I was working in a garage...and it was seriously time for ME to give it up). Just be sure to let your oxycon(s) warm up 10-15 minutes before you start torching to allow it to fill it's reservoir.

I am going to be getting tanked oxy to run my barracuda because 2 oxycons just won't handle it (unless I build an oxygen holding tank, which is possible, but...)

-Amy
Old 2010-03-09, 1:12pm
working to pay for glass

You are a encyclopedia of lampworking knowledge !
Does it effect the quality or colours you can get out of reactive glass ? or is the concentrator just as good ?
melissa
Old 2010-03-09, 2:26pm
as in the state

Haha. I've read about every book on the subject since I started melting glass in 2005.

I don't think it affects the colors you can get out of the silver glass in that oxygen is oxygen. I can't speak from experience here, because I don't have tanked oxy YET. What I CAN say is that you can get higher PSI from an oxygen tank and a more reliable supply of oxygen than with a single concentrator so if you do a lot of work requiring you to use an oxygen rich flame, you may deplete the reservoir on your single oxycon where with a tank you would be fine.

That said, most silver glasses don't require an oxygen rich flame. They are either reducing (propane rich) or striking (which is bouncing them in and out of the flame to encourage the growth of the silver crystals in the glass to get the color). The only 2 soft glasses I'm aware of that want oxygen to do their thing are Dark Silver Plum (DSP) or the metallic black.

I can't say much about boro, as I am very new to that. From what I've read, it looks like those colors are striking type colors, too.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-09, 2:46pm
working to pay for glass

thanks for clarifying i didn't want to think about how or where to get a tank out here !
Old 2010-03-09, 2:59pm

Just to add one other little bit of info that might be helpful. Tanked oxy is 99% oxygen, while a concentrator only gives out from 90 to 96% oxygen, depending on the concentrator and how it is running, and it can affect the ability to get certain reactive colors to perform. The less oxygen in the flame, the more reductive the flame.

So, quality of flame goes to tanked, while safety issues goes to concentrators. I worked on tanks for 15 years and loved it, but I have to say that saving my back from lugging tanks has been really great. I also don't run out of oxy at inopportune times, like weekends when the oxy supply company was closed.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-09, 3:34pm
Alaska Boro

In my case, the overwhelming decision was based on cost. Here a 125 cu foot tank costs $40 to fill plus rental if you do not own. In some parts of California the larger 282 cu ft for $24 is a better deal. It basically depends on how many dollars per hour do you want to pay for oxygen.