LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-12-01, 9:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Can the cricket be ordered with screw on hose fittings?
Or Is it clamp on only?
I think that's what the question below was ( wasn't it ? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
I got my cricket with the regular hose fittings. If I wanted to switch them out to B-fittings would I just get regular 1/4" B-fittings?

Does anyone know?

Cheers.

Has this questioned been answered somewhere else? I looked through the thread and didn't see it.....Inquiring minds want to know...(failing that I can use the phone or email I suppose)
Sherena

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sherena; 2008-12-01 at 9:33am.
Old 2008-12-01, 9:39am
birdergirl ~o~

Sherena,
After talking to GTT ( and ordering !!!!), the torches are made only with clamp~on fittings BUT GTT will sell you a 12 inch piece of hose already clamped on the torch with the "B" fitting on the other end to hook up to an existing "B" fitting hose. ( or 2 hoses one for oxy one for Prop. I think it was &20 for the 2)
Also they now have torch MARVERS, they look nicely made, are $30.00
I havent seen if the photo of the marver has been posted here, but if you email them they will email you a pic of the marver.
Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-01, 9:55am

Thanks Cadia for answering that question.

Do you have the torch set up yet with the "B" fitting hoses attached yet? I am just wondering because I would like to see a picture of the set up, as I am a little concerned about the fittings scrunching (I think thats a technical term ) or bending the hoses where the fittings connect. Does that make sense how I described that.

Thanks,
Sherena

Old 2008-12-01, 10:04am
birdergirl ~o~

I am not set up yet (~ or even have the torchy yet ), but see post #116 on this thread "Flonche's" posted photo. that is how I position my torch~ more or less horizontally. The hoses pretty much drop straight down when the torch is positioned this way, I think. The pieces of hose that comes with the "B" fitting is 12 inches long and attaches to the piece already clamped onto the torch. So there wouldn't be a change in the way it "hangs". Your hose would then attach to the end of the 12 inch section.These extra pieces are $20.
Does this make any sense?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-01, 10:21am

Yes thanks Cadia. I appreciate your help, and it does make sense.
Sherena

Old 2008-12-03, 12:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Sherena~~

A ways back in the thread, I believe, there is mention of an "elbow" fitting (possibly a modification that is done at time of manufacture when you place your order - or as an "add on" - still awaiting confirmation...) that will allow the Cricket to be angled more of an upright position (a HUGE plus for me, coming off a Hot Head and being very comfortable with that angle!) without causing a kink in the hose because of the "bend" from the fuel/oxy attachment locations.

If I hear something, I'll for sure post in the thread - or ask GTT to do so to. Hopefully, they'll have more details, upgrade price, etc.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-12-03, 1:03pm
Bliss Junkie

a 40 degree angle 'elbow' would work great for it... you could angle them straight back, or the sides....

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-12-08, 8:41pm
Um......

I want pics of all those colored crickets!

Old 2008-12-12, 12:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Default I Got The Call!!!!

...and my custom HOT PINK and BLACK KNOB Cricket is ready!!! I'm also told I got the custom elbow upgrade (for a reasonable extra charge!) and my new little baby is going to be on it's way to me shortly!!!!!

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!! I do believe I'm hearing Jingle Bells ringing!!!!

...and after Christmas, it's OXYCON time

De

Old 2008-12-12, 3:18pm

Congrats De!!!!!! We want pics!
Old 2008-12-12, 6:09pm
She better not sell these

As far as ordering elbows, if you don't want your torch to point straight up you can try this:

I flipped the torch and the bar that the torch is mounted on around on the base, then mounted the base to the very edge of my work bench and I can point my torch up quite a bit without putting too much of a bend on the hoses.

I really like the torch. The only thing I would change are the knobs. If they had a bigger turning area they would be easier to adjust because they adjustments wouldn't be so severe. They turn really fast, and I am always over-adjusting. I know I will get used to it...

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-12-19, 6:24pm
I speak Murrini!

Look what showed up on my doorstep today!!! Woo hoo!!! Not hooked up, but wanted to show you the custom color (Hot Pink w/Black Knobs!) and the optional "elbows" to align the hoses so they shoot straight down. What 'cha think? I LOVE IT!!!

MIL is helping me to save for the oxycon - and hopefully I'll be gettin' it soon after Christmas!

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-12-19, 7:17pm
balanced but asymmetrical

Very nice!

Old 2008-12-25, 5:04pm
Dare to be different.

De, That is gorgeous! My favorite color.

Old 2008-12-25, 11:09pm

Its a beauty! I noticed the "Cricket" sticker on the base. Did that come with the torch? I got my "Cricket" a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see a sticker with it. Just curious.
Old 2008-12-25, 11:14pm

Isn't the stand on backwards? You don't need to do that with the different angled hose connections, do you?

Cheers
Kym

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Look what showed up on my doorstep today!!! Woo hoo!!! Not hooked up, but wanted to show you the custom color (Hot Pink w/Black Knobs!) and the optional "elbows" to align the hoses so they shoot straight down. What 'cha think? I LOVE IT!!!

MIL is helping me to save for the oxycon - and hopefully I'll be gettin' it soon after Christmas!

DeAnne in CA
Old 2008-12-26, 2:33am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Its a beauty! I noticed the "Cricket" sticker on the base. Did that come with the torch? I got my "Cricket" a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see a sticker with it. Just curious.
I think that's the new Cricket's sticker.

And I want 1...

Old 2008-12-27, 3:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
Isn't the stand on backwards? You don't need to do that with the different angled hose connections, do you?

Cheers
Kym

It shouldn't matter which way the base if attached if it is bolted or clamped to the bench. I think I'll actually try switching it around this was because the normal way is a bit tight with stiff hoses. I wish it came with the short flexible pig tail hoses that my Lynx did.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-03-12, 8:22pm

Can someone give me an idea of how a Cricket on house pressure natural gas & 5 lpm oxycon would compare to a Lynx on propane & 5 lpm oxycon?

I really hate the safety issues involved with having the propane outside. Having to worry about accidentally blowing up my house in the time between turning on the propane and making my way back down to the basement. And, having to worry about some teenager walking by and turning the propane on. My torch (lynx) leaks a bit, even when turned off, and it's in the basement, so these are serious concerns.

I would LOVE to convert to ng! And the safety of having a great big valve on the wall to turn off the gas would be a huge relief. But I would want a reasonably comparable torch.

I primarily work Bullseye, and I'm still pretty much at a newbie stage.
Old 2009-03-14, 5:04pm
PyronamixK

Your Lynx leaks? From where? Is it leaking from the fuel side or the oxygen side?

You can plumb your propane in using pipe and install a big valve to shut it off inside.

The Lynx is hotter than the Cricket on 5 LPM, but I think you can get a more oxidizing flame on the Cricket with the 5 LPM.
Old 2009-03-14, 5:40pm

It leaks just a bit of propane. It looks like there is no flame, but if I turn the propane back on, it magically lights itself. So I know that there's a little bit of fuel there. It's not hugely unsafe at this point. Just enough to make me a bit nervous to turn it on when I'm home alone.

I know that GTT will repair it, I just need to get around to doing it. That does mean living without a torch for a few weeks, after all.

I was tossing the idea around with DH last night about mounting a valve under my desk with a hose connector on each end. That might be a partial solution to my problem if I decide to stick with propane.

The Lynx is a very nice torch. It's not that I hate the torch or anything. It would just be sooooo much more convenient to not have to go down to the basement and make sure the torch is off, turn on the ventilation, go upstairs, walk around to the side of the house and turn on the propane, then go back downstairs every time I feel like lighting the torch. (Not to mention reversing that process when I shut down.) And I'm just not a fan of piping propane into my basement. I know it pools, and isn't the safest thing to do.
Old 2009-03-14, 5:55pm
PyronamixK

How long after you shut it off can it relight itself? Is it 4-5 seconds or is it 10-15 seconds or longer or is it continuous? If it is within 4-5 seconds, it could be normal since there could still be propane under pressure still bleeding out of the torch orifices. If it is longer than that, then there could be something stuck in the valve seat. If it is continuous, try tightening your valve down a little more than you usually do to see if you get a better seal.
Old 2009-03-14, 5:58pm
PyronamixK

Back to your original inquiry, though, the Cricket does well on low pressure situations and would probably do what you wanted it to do. I can understand not wanting to run propane down into a basement - it isn't the best thing to do.
Old 2009-03-14, 6:20pm

No, we're talking a couple minutes and it still relights itself. If I really crank it down tight, I can get a solid seal. But it can't be good for the seal to go that tight all the time. It seems like it should have a solid seal at a good firm twist, not having to apply force. Or am I just expecting too much and that is completely normal?

And, thanks for the info on the Cricket. That just may have to be my birthday present this year.
Old 2009-03-14, 6:29pm
PyronamixK

It sounds like there is definitely something (foreign object) between the valve seat and the valve needle keeping it from sealing shut correctly. Definitely send it in as soon as you can.
Old 2009-03-14, 6:38pm

*sigh* I was afraid of that. I am seriously considering the Cricket, though. Maybe I'll order that, then send my pal in to the torch doctors after I have something else to work on.
Old 2009-03-19, 6:46pm

Default Ordered Cricket

Just ordered my new Cricket to upgrade from HH and can't wait to get it all set up....still need tubing and tanks, but will work on that this week along with the overhead stove vent/fan so should be good to go soon. Lilhoot
Old 2009-06-08, 3:41pm
Cute and bitey

I'm bumping this to the top again, because I'm another HH user looking to upgrade to a bigger torch, and the Cricket definitely interests me.

It's been six months now since most of you ordered your torch, so technically, the "honeymoon" is over Now that you've had time to experience the in's and out's of this torch, do you have any more feedback on its use/purchase/results? Thanks!

--Robin
Old 2009-06-08, 3:44pm
Bliss Junkie

i only use mine half the time, but for the sculptural and pendant work i do, it rocks.... and i only do boro...
easy to use, teenie tiny flame to raging the lil torch to make a 1.5 inch boro marble...
well worth the expense

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-06-08, 4:15pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Everyone in the family loves it from the 11 year old daughter to the "bigger is better" man. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."