Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2010-03-09, 6:45pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Wow. After that video, I'm a little disappointed. It seems I get a stronger flame from my M15s on my Bullet. I've been under the impression that two M15s would be more than enough to make this torch rock. Now I'm having second thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-09, 6:48pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Okay. I missed the beginning of the video. That is only one machine running, correct?

Old 2010-03-09, 9:18pm
PyronamixK

Yes, Lisa, that is only one machine. Two machines should power it better.
Old 2010-03-18, 10:19am

Default New scorpion

I just hooked up my scorpion and I love it!!!
I am running on two M15s and I have a very strong flame.

I was running on a barracuda before. I had to play with the flame to get enough O2 balanced out to run the outer ring. I had tiny candles. I know I was running the torch at about 50-60 precent of what the torch was capable of doing on the concentrators. Now with the scorpion, I have the knobs set at 5 on each concentrator and the torch rocks! I think the flame is at 100% or close... I felt I needed to turn down the concentrators with the scorpion!!!! LOL

I need to get back to the studio to play some more! I think this is a great torch if you are running on concentrators and want a bigger flame! It does what it promises!

Here is my set up. I am not on a foot pedal yet. The hoses are y'ed together under the table.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2010-03-23 at 5:05am.
Old 2010-03-18, 1:05pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

That is so encouraging, Heather. Thanks. Mine should ship any time now.

Old 2010-03-21, 8:51am
Covered in glitter

I'm having trouble with carbon buildup on the face of my torch in the 'cricket' part. I've never had an issue with any other torch I've used, including my Cricket. I have to knock it off several times during an 8 hour torching session. I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to a 4 stud torch and doing something wrong or if the torch just will do it. Any hints? I'm using NG and liquid O2 and connected to a set up with 5 torches total (3 minors and a bobcat) if that makes any difference at all.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-03-21, 9:47am

MORE O2 just a suggestion.....sounds like you have plenty to go around....what do you have your pressures set at?
Old 2010-03-21, 10:12am
PyronamixK

Once the outerfire comes on, there's a lot more heat on the face on the torch that needs to be pushed off. If your centerfire isn't running strongly enough while the outerfire is on, then the heat can build up on the center part of the face (there's not enough movement to push the heat off the face). When heat builds up like that, the hot metal grabs the carbon right out of the fuel and that's how you start the carbon build-up.

Are you seeing orange specks, or are you seeing black soot?
Old 2010-03-21, 2:00pm
Covered in glitter

I see black soot on the end of the torch and some orange specks coming out in the flame. I've noticed that the table around the torch base gets really hot when I'm using the outer fire as well. I never had any other torch do that but I also haven't worked with a 4 stud before. It's hot enough that it's uncomfortable to touch with my bare hands.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-03-21, 2:47pm
PyronamixK

The heating of the area around your torch is to be expected with a standard mix big torch when the outerfire is used. You're throwing a much bigger flame, so naturally, there's going to be more heat involved. If you're running the outerfire low (short flame), because it is so much more than what you're used to, you can overheat the torch and have carboning problems.

Make sure you're giving the outerfire enough oxygen. It might be hard to tell running natural gas. So, just try to get your candles out there to get the point ignition off the face of the torch.
Old 2010-03-21, 6:26pm
Covered in glitter

I think that's the problem because I do tend to run it a little low. I'll crank it up and see what happens. Thanks Kim!

Old 2010-03-22, 5:18pm
Mad about Glass

Thanks Heather - that's just what I needed to know.

[url]

Old 2010-03-23, 5:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Thanks Heather - that's just what I needed to know.
your welcome????

Old 2010-03-24, 8:25am
Flamewoman

I got the "your credit card please" phone call yesterday! So it looks like my Scorpion is on it's way! I am excited! I just hope the added heat is not so much more than my Lynx to make my studio unbearable in the summer. I will let you all know how it compares to my Lynx. Also.... I have my first torch a minor bench burner, used only for a year, for sale! I have no idea what to ask for it? I'm sure I won't need it anymore.
I ordered this torch on November 19,2009. I have so many people asking when I ordered it, I thought I would get it for Christmas! LOL

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2010-03-24 at 8:18pm. Reason: Add information
Old 2010-03-25, 8:36am
Covered in glitter

Cranked up the Ox on the torch and I got no sooting on the end. Thanks Kimberly!

Old 2010-03-30, 7:54am
ilene

What are "hose tails", as mentioned here for the Scorpion torch???
Old 2010-03-30, 10:53am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icre8art View Post
What are "hose tails", as mentioned here for the Scorpion torch???
This is how the Scorpion comes:

two stud version

four stud version

The stud lines ("pig tails," "hose tails," etc.) are simply short lines connected to the bare studs that are in turn connected to your fuel and oxygen lines. On the other GTT torches, the stud lines are already attached and are a different diameter (and as a result are more flexible). The Scorpions and Crickets, like standard torches from other companies, do not come with the stud lines standard. They are an option.

Here is a picture of an old Bobcat with the stud lines attached:

On the GTTs with the stud lines, the ends of the stud lines have a brass barb fitting with a filter screen inside. The studs on their torches where the stud lines are not standard (e.g., Scorpion and Cricket) have those filter screens inside the stud fittings coming directly off the torch.

ETA: If you want to stand your torch straight up and down or at a higher than normal angle, then see Heather's (Dasi's) post above showing the short line connected to an elbow coming off each stud.

Oh, and if you have found my advice helpful, and you have a minute, please let GTT know that because your questions were answered here, you did not have to trouble them for answers. Their email is gtt@glasstorchtech.com (if you want to cc or bcc me, my address is info (at) pyronamix.com --- remove the spaces and replace the (at) with @ - I spelled it out because I welcome mail from you, but I don't want robot spam ). For some reason, my husband's business partner, Wally, still won't acknowledge that I am helpful or that anyone learned about the Scorpion from me.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2010-03-30 at 11:25am.
Old 2010-03-30, 1:40pm

Hi

I had been so very happy with my new Scorpion - until today...... I did realize that the GAS valve of the interior Cricket is NOT closing properly! It's leaking.... ARGH! What should I do? I can't leave it like this, this HAS TO be fixed urgently! I'm kind of disappointed.

I've sent an email to GTT, but did not get an answer yet.

Does anyone has any idea how this could be fixed???

Martina

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-03-30, 2:04pm

When I lit the torch today, there had been this "BING" sound, and that sound had been loud.

I've lost this trusting feeling and I do need help, what should I do? Send the Scorpion back to GTT for a check-up?

Old 2010-03-30, 2:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would call them.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-30, 2:14pm
Sucks at being nice

I just emailed them an order and made sure to let them know I found out about the Scorpion from your posts on LE. I never would have looked in to this torch if it wasn't for your information. I'm actually happy with my Pirhana but the scorpion looks much better for murrini making!

Old 2010-03-30, 2:19pm

Hi Squid - I did try to call them, but I'm only getting the answering-machine.

I'm wondering if it's still safe to use the torch....?

Old 2010-03-30, 2:58pm

I've been talking (on the phone) to Willy @ GTT and he's going to help me solve my problem!

THANK YOU, Willy!

Old 2010-03-30, 4:11pm
Flamewoman

Heather ~ did you order a different base with your Scorpion?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-03-30, 6:57pm
PyronamixK

That could be her Cheetah base. You can use your Lynx base (same base as the Cheetah base), if you want to, Mary.
Old 2010-03-30, 10:25pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Kirima would you mind sharing what caused that sound? A friend of mine has a bobcat that does the same. It's not leaking propane, but it does make a popping sound ( sometimes quite loud) when lighting the torch. I think it's caused by leaking oxygen ( in the torch, she uses a concentrator) and this oxy makes the propane ignite with a banging sound.

Old 2010-03-31, 7:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Heather ~ did you order a different base with your Scorpion?
Thanks kimberly!!!!
I ordered the heavy base that is used for the Cheetah.

I also ordered Y's and the special hose "L" shaped connections for my hoses. I needed them since the hose was too stiff to get my torch to angle upward the way I like to torch.

Old 2010-03-31, 10:45am

Default Soon?!?!?

Wahoo!! Just called GTT to see how close delivery is getting to the "few weeks" I was quoted in early Feb., after ordering in mid-Nov. 2009. The new 'expected' shipping date is "really soon". I think it was Wally that I talked to, as he didn't sound too impressed when I mentioned that Kimberly is the only reason that I even knew about the Scorpion, got all of my pre-purchase questions answered, and placed the order in the first place. All he said was, "Uh-huh." That sounds like Wally, huh?

Anyway, he said it was close enough to get my payment info today. The only other hitch is that Wally originally wrote up the order as being for a standard color one. Beautiful color, but not what I want, if there is a choice. Ordered plain silver, which means that I still have to pay the $30 for color, even though I don't want any color . I know that means it will be clear-coated, but it just cracked me up when Pam quoted me the full amount for painting it with NO color. lol!!

Love my Cricket, also bought thanks to Kimberly!! It's rockin' so hot on the Regalia oxy-con that I bought from her - so hot that I was tempted to cancel the Scorpion. I need a larger flame, though, so the Scorpion should be perfect. Just wanted to mention how screaming hot a Cricket can get with plenty of O2, in case anybody just needs lots of heat, but not necessarily a huge flame. I can melt 10mm boro rods into a nice big gather in just a few seconds. Awesome amount of heat!!! But it still backs off to a tiny little flame for things like application of hair-fine stringers of 104.

Can't believe that I have rustled up enough patience to wait this many months for a torch!!

Birdy
Old 2010-03-31, 1:03pm

Suzanne, now as the leaking problem is fixed, that weird sound isn't there anymore.

Old 2010-03-31, 4:50pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

My Scorpion is here. While I was sure this torch was a good torch, I was on the fence about whether it would suit my needs. It has exceeded my expectations!! I am thrilled with the performance of this torch.

And thanks Kimberly, for all your help and information. I know this discussion helped me make the decision to order.