Lampwork Etc.
 
Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat




Beads of Courage


 
  #61  
Old 2005-09-24, 11:54am
Holly's Avatar
Holly Holly is offline
Fire Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 01, 2005
Location: at the edge of reason
Posts: 3,263
Default

I confess...
My dirty little secret:
My fuel source for my HH is a one pound tank of propane, purchased in the camping department of Target for $3.69 for two tanks. One tank lasts about 5-6 hours. Wasteful? Yes. Efficient? No. Probably not cost effective either, I'm almost afraid to crunch the numbers. This is one reason I'm considering adding a sibling torch.

I'm at the tipping point. I can go along as I am, but opportunities are beginning to open up for me and I think I may want to get a little more serious about what I'm doing now.

Also,
UNCLE!!!
I give. I was going to respond to each post, but I do plan on doing other things today
so I will read and respond only as I am able. I am so thankful to all who are responding.

Since I am almost entirely visual I am considering making up some kind of chart with attributes of each torch to make comparisons easier for me to see. If such a thing already exists, I'd be happy if someone could direct me to it. Or, if anyone has suggestions for items of comparison I'd welcome them too.

H
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:05pm
PyroChixRock's Avatar
PyroChixRock PyroChixRock is offline
Slave Of The Flame
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,080
Default

Dwaine, you always have the BEST pics. Thanks for posting that! More men should wear womens panties, it's hot!
__________________
~Misha



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PyroChixRock; 2005-09-24 at 12:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:11pm
loco's Avatar
loco loco is offline
The Crazy One
 
Join Date: Jun 05, 2005
Location: Lococabana, OR
Posts: 7,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinabeads
And getting the DVD in the package is a great helpful bonus that is well worth the extra $ 20 you have to spend for the Mini CC. And no, I don't get paid by Carlisle to say these things...but hey, there is a thought!
Carlisle is also putting a GA "Self Paced Project Kit" in with each mini cc torch. It includes 14 5 inch (approx) rods of boro a working w/ boro color manual by Henery Grimmett, a catalog of Boromax colors and a nutral Flame card. Minimun value 10 buck, knowledge..... Priceless!
__________________
loco
Still crazy after all these years...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:13pm
ChristyPhelps's Avatar
ChristyPhelps ChristyPhelps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2005
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 881
Default

I love my Lynx! I used a minor for over a year, but wanted more heat to work boro. I moved up to the integra10 concentrator when I got the Lynx, but it's the weirdest thing - it uses less oxy to heat than the minor did! I love having the ability to control my flame from bushy to pinpoint. I use it all the time.

The only downside is that I want to be able to run the torch from Natural gasline at the house, but the Lynx requires a gas booster, which costs over a grand! So now I'm reconsidering, but not much. I just love my torch.
__________________
"Wake up everyone! It's today!"
4 yr old neighbor
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:14pm
Dwaine Scum's Avatar
Dwaine Scum Dwaine Scum is offline
Kinder Gentler Sociopath
 
Join Date: Aug 27, 2005
Location: South Of heven
Posts: 1,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChixRock
Dwaine, you always have the BEST pics. Thanks for posting that! More men should wear womens panties, it's hot!

My "manties" are the SHIT... Respekt!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:38pm
CorriDawn CorriDawn is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 18, 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 5,128
Default

Moving this thread since it has some great info and is more easily accessible in the tips eechniques and questions forum
__________________
CorriDawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 2005-09-24, 12:41pm
bolimasa's Avatar
bolimasa bolimasa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 4,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
I was on a Hothead for almost 2 years.

When I was ready to upgrade, I did a LOT of research and a LOT of asking around.

I had decided on the RedMax.

I was so used to the slowness and coolness of the HH that I was intimidated by that much heat, AND money...so I bought a minor.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the minor, but 7 months later, I wish I had gotten the RedMax. I am already wishing I had more heat.

Right now I am debating on whether or not to get another concentrator to boost the minor or to wait and get the RedMax (or some other heat pimp) after the holidays. OR both!

~~Mary
One thing you may want to consider... will that hotter torch require more oxygen??? When iI was considereing the midrange plus I got the distinct impression that it would take 2 concentrators to run the midrange part. If thats the case for your new torch of choice, maybe you should go ahead and get that 2nd concentrator now. If all works out I'll be getting a second concentrator next week... I'll let you know how it goes. I want the second concentrator because I often have reduction problems (gray crap in rubino... yuk) probably because I work to close to the torch head because I'm impatient. I'm sure it's easier for me to change my equipment than change my bad habits!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 2005-09-24, 1:58pm
Moth Moth is offline
Mary Lockwood
 
Join Date: Jun 21, 2005
Location: Boonies
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolimasa
One thing you may want to consider... will that hotter torch require more oxygen??? When iI was considereing the midrange plus I got the distinct impression that it would take 2 concentrators to run the midrange part. If thats the case for your new torch of choice, maybe you should go ahead and get that 2nd concentrator now. If all works out I'll be getting a second concentrator next week... I'll let you know how it goes. I want the second concentrator because I often have reduction problems (gray crap in rubino... yuk) probably because I work to close to the torch head because I'm impatient. I'm sure it's easier for me to change my equipment than change my bad habits!
Yep, absolutely. That is why I'm wondering whether I should just do both. Go ahead and move forward with the second concentrator so that I've got it behind me for the next one.

I have been wanting to get another oxycon anyway so that I'm not SOL if the one I have now quits working or needs serviced. Right now, if the oxycon dies...I'm out of the loop til it gets fixed or replaced.

I have a reduction issue as well on my minor. I know it is from trying to run more propane than the amount of oxygen that I have can handle...but I just can't make myself turn the torch down. I have noticed that little by little, I have moved from a very modest flame when I first started with the minor, to a pretty good sized blaze. This isn't the right way to run this torch and I get a lot of carbon, which thank goodness it's a minor and I can just scrape it off and move on!

Something definitely needs to happen. Maybe boosting the torch I already have by adding some more oxy will placate me for a while. That way I could get a better pair of glasses while I'm at it and start heating some boro.

~~Mary
Who never thought she would turn into a flame whore but sees it happening anyway!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 2005-09-24, 2:00pm
Moth Moth is offline
Mary Lockwood
 
Join Date: Jun 21, 2005
Location: Boonies
Posts: 5,831
Default

Those redmax pics have me all twitterpated!!!!

And thanks Corina for the great info. I loved hearing about the Mini CC. Maybe I will have to get one of those and try it out too!

~~Mary
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 2005-09-24, 4:16pm
Holly's Avatar
Holly Holly is offline
Fire Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 01, 2005
Location: at the edge of reason
Posts: 3,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn
Moving this thread since it has some great info and is more easily accessible in the tips eechniques and questions forum
Thanks CorriDawn!

H
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 2005-09-24, 4:26pm
DesertDreamer's Avatar
DesertDreamer DesertDreamer is offline
Ad astra per aspera
 
Join Date: Jun 15, 2005
Location: Apache Junction AZ
Posts: 7,324
Default

I just had to add something. The Red Max ROCKS! I've gotten to use one at the Mesa Arts Center a few times (it's my toy of choice over there) and I love it! However, it's VERY hot. Quite honestly I think it's verging on too much if all you're going to use is Moretti. Even for Gaffer you've gotta work fast and be careful. My hands always end up "sunburned" and I keep feeling like my 12" mandrels (I work in the middle) are too damned short. OTOH, if you're using boro and/or working back & forth between hard & soft, I'd say grab it and run! You can always get a minor as the top mounted torch, though I prefer the premix that I have (which is way fun with a hush tip!). It IS a fuel and oxy hog, though. You need tanked oxy and gas, just no way around it.

Oh, one more thing. Got my Midrange Plus connected today. I'm now on NG and an Onyx+ generator. It's heaven!!!!! Quiet, hot and UNLIMITED! I'm soooo happy it's finally done.
__________________
Karen Sherwood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 2005-09-24, 5:46pm
Vicki B.'s Avatar
Vicki B. Vicki B. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 18, 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 1,177
Default Air Sep Generator Source

I'm new to this site and am looking to upgrade from HH to ??? Thanks so much to everyone for all the constructive information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source of the Air Sep Generators that are mentionned in this thread? I've read only good things about Suncoast, but I don't see this generator at their site.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 2005-09-25, 2:07pm
Kaibeads's Avatar
Kaibeads Kaibeads is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 23, 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 165
Default

yes the lynx = presicion, because of its pinpoint flame. Thats why I got one. It will also heat a big blob faster than other torches of the same size, like I say, I run it off one concentrator just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 2005-09-25, 6:00pm
MaureenKennedy MaureenKennedy is offline
No Longer an LE Member
 
Join Date: Sep 01, 2005
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 478
Default

Well if you check my wordy response in the HH thread - you will see I have experience with the HH, National 8M, Minor, and Midrange. I like the midrange, because it has 25 holes in it's nozzle, which gives me a bushy flame. Running on one concentrator - it is not as hot/intense as the minor (which concengtrates all it's flame into 7 holes in it's nozzle). The National 8M has tip #7 which also had 7 holes. National 8 M has a variety of tips you can purchases seperately (usually $70 + up on each tip) and one with 21 holes, but this does not come with purchase of just the torch.

The problem I find with the minor (being an older person) is the only way to control the heat going into the bead, is to LIFT your arms up (like over your shoulders) to put the bead in the higher portion of the flame. I just cannot do this for a prolonged period of time without alot of hurting in my neck and shoulders. With the Midrange, I get the bushy flame which can be adjusted down to a pinpoint flame, and because the flame is expanded thru the 25 holes, it is a cooler flame and I can keep my bead in the flame without having to lift my arms up into the air. I understand that running the midrange on one oxy concentrator does not use the full power of this torch (people use it for boro with tanked oxy or two concentrators) but I have no desire really to do boro anyway - but I did buy a little boro to try it out and it melted the boro OK the way it is set up, just a little slower than it would have.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 2005-09-25, 6:23pm
Erica Erica is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2005
Posts: 82
Default

I've only ever used a minor. When I took my first class, it was on a minor. When I was setting up my studio, I toyed with the idea of getting a HH because they're so much cheaper, but I wasn't sure that I could go back to using a slower torch after having learned on a hotter one. So, I stuck with the minor. I love it so far, can't think of a reason to get a different torch. Well, unless I take up boro, but that seems unlikely.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 2005-09-25, 8:30pm
Frostfire's Avatar
Frostfire Frostfire is offline
Lady Firebird
 
Join Date: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Marietta, GA USA
Posts: 284
Default

I worked on a HotHead sporadically for about two months. After the first two weeks I knew I wanted something bigger and hotter because I knew I was going to stick with this and I was finding the HH frustrating. I'd also in that time had a chance to work on a Minor for a day, so that just added to my frustration.

It took me the two months, but I got set up with a Piranha and an oxycon about a month ago. I didn't mind dealing with propane, but I did not want to have to deal with tanked oxygen, and the Piranha seemed to be about the happiest entry-level torch with a concentrator. I have a Creation Station so I don't need to worry about resting my hands on the torch body. I'm still very much in the learning stages, but it is a torch that I'll spend plenty of time growing into, instead of outgrowing quickly.
__________________
Julia


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Scorpion torch & Regalia oxycon


Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 2005-09-25, 9:14pm
Toni Lutman's Avatar
Toni Lutman Toni Lutman is offline
maybe tomorrow
 
Join Date: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 3,098
Default

Hey Holly. You've probably already gotten all the information you'll ever need to make a decision, but I'll chime in anyway.

I used a Hot Head with the small Mapp gass canisters for about 6 months, and got tired of it freezing up on me. I bought a Bobcat and absolutely loved it. I initially used it with one concentrator, but I make big beads, so had gotten a second one after about a year. I used my Bobcat for several years and then took a class from Kim Osibin. She uses an Italian torch that is absolutely silent and has the softest flame I've ever seen. I'd kill for a torch like that, but I seem to remember her saying they weren't available anymore and if it ever went out on her, she didn't know what she'd do. Dang, it was a pretty flame!

Anyway, she highly recommended a Carlisle Mini CC as it was closest she had found to the type of flame she had on her torch. I was hesitant to make a change because I was so happy with my Bobcat, so she loaned me a Mini CC and I did eventully purchase it from her.

There were a couple of major differences that I noticed between the Bobcat and the Mini CC. One is that while the body of the Bobcat will stay cool, the Mini CC body can get pretty hot, so you can't rest your hands on it to steady them. I've also noticed that the Mini CC's knobs can get extremely hot if I don't have the oxygen turned up enough. This may not be an issue with tanked oxy, but with the concentrators, if I don't have the oxygen valve open completely, the knobs get hot. If I open them a bit more (no noticable change to the flame), the knobs stay cool.

The Mini CC also puts out much more radiant heat, so with it, I noticed that I could make my big beads much, much faster. It also makes it easier to work long beads. I will say this is kind of a drawback in the hot summer, so I made sure I had an extra fan blowing on me, but in the winter, it sure will be nice.

The other thing I've noticed is that there were some reduction effects I could get more easily with my Bobcat. I purchased y-connectors for both my concentrators and propane, so I'm going to have them both hooked up and available. It could be that I used the Bobcat long enough to know the flame chemistry I needed, and haven't found the right setting on my Mini CC yet, but ?

Hope something in here helps.

BTW, didn't get a chance to try your color suggestions yet, but I will soon. Thanks!

Toni
__________________
Toni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 2005-09-28, 7:33pm
kbinkster's Avatar
kbinkster kbinkster is offline
PyronamixK
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Location: Spatula City
Posts: 4,196
Default Let the Truth Be Known

I would like to start off by stating that this is not a personal attack. This is about business. This is about setting the record straight and telling the truth where businesses are concerned.

Recently, something was written by a very well-known figure in the lampworking industry that was utterly false and struck way too close to home for me to let it go. What I am referring to is Corina’s recently submitted review of various torches, particularly what she had to say about GTT.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...?t=4906&page=2

Her statements concerning GTT are nothing short of fraudulent and are defamatory in nature. GTT will not stand by and let false accusations go unchallenged, and neither will I. Like I said, this is not a personal attack. Rather, it is a rebuttal of sorts, presented with the intention of bringing out the truth.

Corina describes her problem with the Lynx.

Quote:
The major drawback for me was the fact that the Lynx does not like the kind of small flame I use to work with, so the torch "cloggs up" after a while. You see small glowing dots forming on the top of the torch, which I think is a carbon build-up, stemming from the fact that the propane does not get burned properly when the flame is too small. Talked about this with Willie, and he basically told me to turn the flame up - the center flame (the cones) should be at least 1/2 inch long.
Willy routinely advises people on candle lengths. There are perhaps a half dozen posts on the glass forums where I, with Willy’s help, describe the candle lengths needed to run a Lynx. I have listened to Willy describe candle lengths to people both over the telephone and in person. He is quite consistent with his advice. I have never heard him advise people that they should run their candles at least ½ inch in length. He tells people that the shorter the candles they want to run, the more blue tipped they need to be. He says that a good length is about ¼ inch, “about the diameter of a Morretti rod.” O.K., so what Willy routinely says does not match what Corina says he told her. That in and of itself may not seem like such a big deal… but it goes on.

Corina continues to discuss her problems with GTT’s torches and describes her problem with GTT’s customer service.

Quote:
So, I kept running it on a small flame, with the result that my jets got dirty and I had to send the torch in for cleaning. Willie and Wallie are great guys, but they are not the most organized, so, in order to have a "back-up" torch while they were cleaning my Lynx, I bought a Bobcat...so, now one of my torches is always at service at GTT - the Bobcat is still out of my hands, I think Willie and Wallie have forgotten to send it back, which I JUST realized. Better give them a call.
Over all the years Corina has run GTT torches, she has sent her Lynx in once (10/01/2002) and her Bobcat in once (06/16/2004). Willy and Wally have the shipping records for every torch that has ever been sent in – since 1997 (and Corina says they are disorganized?). This is certainly contrary to her statement that one of her torches is always in for service at GTT.

Further, Corina claims that GTT has her Bobcat and has forgotten to send it back to her. This is completely untrue. As of today’s date, September 28, 2005, there is no Bobcat of Corina’s at GTT. Corina, you had better find a tracking number for that torch. You’re going to need it – for more than just tracking that torch. While you’re at it, you might as well dig up all the shipping records for all the times you allegedly had to send a torch back to GTT. The guys are still waiting for that call she said she would be making.

Well, this wouldn’t be the first time Corina has been caught in a lie. After accusing Cindy Jenkins of pirating her rainbow bead photographs for a tutorial in Beads of Glass, she posts an email from Cindy reminding her that she sent in a six page submittal for the tutorial (including photographs) three years ago. You know, there are laws against a business telling lies about another business. If all Cindy Jenkins chooses to do is gently remind Corina that she did submit the material, she is being far too kind. Other companies may press the issue further.

By saying that Willy and Wally are not organized and that she had to buy a back-up torch for when her Lynx was out-of-service, she is implying that (1) her Lynx was out of commission for a great deal of the time, and (2) it takes forever to get a torch back once it’s sent in for a cleaning. She even goes as far as to say that they have one of her torches right now and probably forgot about it, which is an out and out lie. She is defaming GTT by making false claims regarding the quality of their torches and the quality of their customer service. When a company (including its representatives) defames another company, it is serious business.

I have a simple question. If Corina has so many torches at her studio, and GTTs have “issues,” then why would she buy another GTT for a back-up? Perhaps it wasn’t bought for the reason she claims, after all.

Isn’t it funny that certain people/companies do not have “issues” with other people or things until they don’t get their way about something? Certain people/companies never had “issues” with GTT until they were denied a distributorship and started selling other torch brands. Hey, I understand that you have to sell what you have to sell. But come on, it’s so transparent. You should let the product you sell stand on its own merits rather than tear down the competition (in this case, GTT).

Corina now has an established pattern of how she treats people when she does not get her way. Look at Kim Neely and Paul Stankard, for example. There were no accusations of Kim copying Corina before Kim refused to contribute tutorials for the “Spotlight.” Now, Kim’s name is mud. Poor Paul Stankard, a highly respected man who has selflessly contributed so much to the lampworking industry, is attacked when he politely declines Corina’s invitation to participate in another of her ventures, the “Flame Guide.” So, I guess now it’s GTTs turn.

The motive behind Corina’s attack on GTT is very clear. Just read what she writes.

Quote:
I get wholesale price from Carlisle and can offer these to people who are interested at a great price (less than the standard retail price of $ 189,…
Yes, Corina asked to be a distributor for GTT and was denied. She never had any “issues” before she was politely denied distributorship. And think about it… why would she even want to sell them if they didn’t work for her?

Yes, Corina now sells the Mini CC, Carlisle’s torch that, according to their sales rep at the Gathering in Portland, would sew up the bead market for them. This is now her torch of choice and GTTs are nothing but trouble.

Follow the money. I’m sure the situation would be different if GTT had agreed to take her on as a distributor. Like I said earlier, you have to sell what you have to sell.

If this was simply a case of one bead maker giving advice to another, that would be one thing. BUT, Corina is in business (including, it would seem, the business of selling torches). Heck, she IS a business, or at the very least a representative of the business she runs. And, businesses fall under different rules than individuals. She is a teacher and an author of instructional material, as well. She has a lot of influence over new bead makers (as well as some who have been around for quite a while). The things that she says are often taken as fact, and go unquestioned by these new bead makers. So, this is why I felt that I needed to come in and set the record straight.

It’s a shame that it had to come down to this. No one wants to hurt Corina or her business. But, it wouldn’t be right to let her lies stand as fact. I’m sure a public apology and retraction would go a long way. GTT is waiting to see Corina’s response before deciding what course of action to take.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 2005-09-28, 9:15pm
Cheerin Cheerin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 22, 2005
Posts: 24
Default

???

Last edited by Cheerin; 2005-09-29 at 7:13am.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 2005-09-29, 9:12am
kbinkster's Avatar
kbinkster kbinkster is offline
PyronamixK
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Location: Spatula City
Posts: 4,196
Default

The post I made was originally in it's own thread in the Family Room. Corri moved it into the Tips and Techniques section and merged it with this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 2005-09-29, 12:28pm
candygeek's Avatar
candygeek candygeek is offline
Redhead Goddess of Flame!
 
Join Date: Jul 01, 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 266
Default

Welp, I intend to stay out of the debate about Corina's review but I will chime in on my experiences with the Lynx and the Cheetah.

I used the Lynx for 2 years, loved it, never had a single problem with it. I used the cleaning tool a few times, but I never really needed to. It was more of a maintenence thing. I used it with a propane tank and 1 oxy concentrator, or a oxy tank if I wanted more oomph.

I bought a Cheetah, loved it, no problems with it. Same deal. High quality torches with nary a glitch. I realized that I probably should have bought a Phantom for what I wanted. So for now I am back to the Lynx (looking for a second concentrator) until I get up the cash for a Phantom and a generator.
__________________
Candace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 2005-09-30, 4:54am
pam's Avatar
pam pam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 15, 2005
Posts: 2,251
Default

I think I would like to chime in here. I have used a Minor, Bethlehem Starfire (now Barracuda), PM2D, and now a Cheetah. In between I have used a friend's Mini CC, an early one, and a Lynx. All the torches are good, but it depends on what you are wanting to do. Radiant heat is not necessarily a good thing, and not necessarily a bad thing either. It all depends on you getting used to working with the torch you have. The Minor was great, but a little small for the beads I make. The Starfire (Barracuda) was a fantastic torch, but not great for working larger Boro. The PM2D was great for working large boro, but the center flame was too small for my beads and adding the outer flame was too large. The Cheetah is the perfect size for what I do the way I do it. The Bethlehem torches all seem to have a more reductive flame atmosphere which lends itself to getting easy reduction reactions, however, it also reduces other colors that you don't want reduced. The GTT torches have a more oxidizing atmosphere which allows for beautiful pure colors and you can still get a really wonderful reduction with them. Because I like pure colors and work frequently with reduction flames, the GTT is my torch of choice. I personally don't care for radiant heat in how I work. My beads have been as long as 5 to 6 inches and I can work them fine on the Cheetah. Radiant heat is not necessary, attention to the heat the glass needs is.

What this all boils down to is that you can buy almost any torch and make it work for you, you just need to put in the time and have the patience to understand fully the torch you are using. And just to remind everyone, you don't have to keep a torch forever, there is a BIG market out there for used torches. So, Holly, if you buy a torch and discover it is not for you, you can always sell it and buy another one.
Pam
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 2005-09-30, 5:55am
MikeAurelius's Avatar
MikeAurelius MikeAurelius is offline
Safety ALWAYS
 
Join Date: Jun 10, 2005
Location: Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
Posts: 2,401
Default

There is a very easy way to tell if you have a "proper" flame on your torch. And all you need is a short piece of glass.

If you don't work boro, find a friend (or call me) and ask for a 6" piece of Glass Alchemy 987 Amazon Night.

Heat the end to a warm orange glow and allow to cool.

If your flame is neutral, the rod should be the same color coming out of the flame as it went into the flame.

If the stick is light sky blue or has a metallic sheen, the flame is reducing and needs to be adjusted The most common fix is to decrease the propane content.

1. If the surface of the glass looks like an oil slick, decrease the propane at the torch.

2. If the surface of the glass is a heavy metallic, decrease the regulator in 1/4 pound increments and retest.

3. If the surface of the glass is sky blue, it is very reducing. Decrease the propane at the regulator, usually in half, meaning, if you are running your propane at 5 pounds, reduce it to 2.5 pounds.

Courtesy of Glass Alchemy.

Reducing flames, especially highly reducing flames cause carbon buildup on the torch face and fuel gas tubes. Excessive buildup will cause hot spots which will cause turbulence at the tube end eventually causing erosion of the tube end.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 2005-09-30, 7:33am
cghipp's Avatar
cghipp cghipp is offline
<--- Time traveler
 
Join Date: Jun 11, 2005
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 2,476
Default

Kimberly, what's the Bullet Burner like?

Courtney (trying to be talked into something)
__________________
Smiling's my favorite!
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 2005-10-03, 10:28am
Jalve's mom's Avatar
Jalve's mom Jalve's mom is offline
Glass Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 27, 2005
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 38
Default

I am a newbie who has been using an HH for about six months and am ready to move up for various reasons. I used a bobcat at a class I took in Orlando and liked it very much.

I had decided to purchase one but found this discussion and now have questions.

I will be using an oxy con (gift form DH) & propane and want to purchase a torch that will work well with this setup. Someone had suggested the Mini CC but I am a little concerned after reading about the torch & knobs heating up. This is probably one of those areas where there is no wrong choice & the cost isn't a huge factor so how do you choose especially when you can't really go and try all of them?

So far I am making beads with soft glass but love some of the boro work that all of you incredibly talented people display on LE and want to be able to work with it also.

Carol
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 2005-10-03, 11:14am
Corinabeads's Avatar
Corinabeads Corinabeads is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 27, 2005
Posts: 138
Default

Who came up with the stupid idea that I tried to be a distributor for GTT??? That's total bullshit, sorry!
__________________
When your skills catch up with your imagination, you're going to be the beadmaker you want to be.
me



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 2005-10-03, 12:42pm
cghipp's Avatar
cghipp cghipp is offline
<--- Time traveler
 
Join Date: Jun 11, 2005
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 2,476
Default

That's good to know. The flame size looks a little more manageable to me than the Barracuda. One of the things I don't like about the Barracuda is that the center fire if too small and the outer fire is too large. I think I would like this better.

Courtney
__________________
Smiling's my favorite!
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 2005-10-03, 1:17pm
Corinabeads's Avatar
Corinabeads Corinabeads is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 27, 2005
Posts: 138
Default

Kbinkster - who the heck ARE you??? isn't it interesting that people who have bad things to say always hide, never tell WHO they really are? Again, I have to repeat that I have NEVER ever applied to be a distributor for Willie and Wallie, I am not a distributor for ANYTHING except my own tools. So, wrong. As for Cindy Jenkins, wrong again, I submitted a tutorial, but not the one she used...I set that straight on my website.....
So, quit accusing me, because your jealousy is WAY too obvious...
I never said that GTT torches aren't good, I just said that they don't work for MY work...I am completely aware that I am running a "wrong" flame on the Lynx/Bobcat...which is why I quit using them. As for the reason I bought a Bobcat for backup - that was a year after I bought my Lynx, and I just trusted Loren Stumps judgement, he loves all GTT torches - but he does completely different work. The only reason I got wholesale prices from Carlisle is because I bought a bunch for my studio, and every student who used the torch wanted to buy it and take it home... GTT never ever offered my a discount for their torches, I even bought one as a birthday present for my then-friend Catt - and paid full price. I am neither badmouthing GTT torches, nor am I promoting Carlisle because of personal business interest. EVery single beadmaker I have talked to who has used the Mini CC loves it.... Torches are only as good as the purpose for which they are used...So, just READ what I say, pretty please...and if you have an issue with me KBINKSTER, take it up with me in person, you know where you can find me, which is more than I can say about YOU....
__________________
When your skills catch up with your imagination, you're going to be the beadmaker you want to be.
me



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 2005-10-03, 8:40pm
DarleenMB's Avatar
DarleenMB DarleenMB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 18, 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,989
Default

I started out on an HH and just didn't like it (my first class was using a Minor, so no wonder).

I used the Minor for about 4 years and then a couple months ago got a MiniCC. I absolutely LOVE that torch! I run it with 2 oxy concentrators. Boy, does it melt the glass fast!
__________________
Darleen


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 2005-10-03, 9:57pm
kbinkster's Avatar
kbinkster kbinkster is offline
PyronamixK
 
Join Date: Jun 24, 2005
Location: Spatula City
Posts: 4,196
Default

Quote:
Kbinkster - who the heck ARE you??? isn't it interesting that people who have bad things to say always hide, never tell WHO they really are?
Well, my name is Kimberly Stark, as I see you have already discovered. I’m not hiding. If you were a contributing member of any of the internet glass forums (aside from your occasional appearance to promote yourself or stir up trouble), you would know who I am.

Quote:
Again, I have to repeat that I have NEVER ever applied to be a distributor for Willie and Wallie, I am not a distributor for ANYTHING except my own tools. So, wrong. As for Cindy Jenkins, wrong again, I submitted a tutorial, but not the one she used...I set that straight on my website.....
Well, according to Willy and Wally, you asked to sell GTTs when you were first setting up your studio and entertaining the idea of selling tools, roughly a year and a half to two years ago, or so. They told you then that they were not taking on any new distributors at that time. That’s all there was to it.

You say that you are not a distributor for
Quote:
ANYTHING except my own tools.
Well, then why did you say:
Quote:
I get wholesale price from Carlisle and can offer these to people who are interested at a great price (less than the standard retail price of $ 189, which I won't say in public because I don't want my wholesale friends to think that I am trying to undercut their business...)
And about Cindy Jenkins, you originally claimed that you did not know where Cindy obtained the photographs. Now, you say that they were taken with your low resolution camera.

Quote:
So, quit accusing me, because your jealousy is WAY too obvious...
Girl. Please. Is that your patent response to everyone who stands up to you?

Quote:
I never said that GTT torches aren't good, I just said that they don't work for MY work...I am completely aware that I am running a "wrong" flame on the Lynx/Bobcat...which is why I quit using them.
The point of contention was not that you were claiming that GTT torches were bad torches. You described a flame and said that it was unattainable on a GTT. But more importantly, you went on to say that Willy and Wally were disorganized and have a torch of yours in the shop right this very moment and that they had even forgotten to send it back to you. But this is where your post gets confusing. On the one hand, you say that the Mini CC is your torch of choice. On the other hand, you claim
Quote:
so, now one of my torches is always at service at GTT.
If you aren’t using GTTs, then why is there always one in the shop for service? Pick a story and stick to it.

Quote:
As for the reason I bought a Bobcat for backup - that was a year after I bought my Lynx, and I just trusted Loren Stumps judgement, he loves all GTT torches - but he does completely different work.
Now, see, this is another sticking point. Did you buy your Bobcat first, or your Lynx?

Quote:
The only reason I got wholesale prices from Carlisle is because I bought a bunch for my studio, and every student who used the torch wanted to buy it and take it home...
Getting wholesale prices on a torch and selling those torches makes you a …guess what… torch distributor (and a Carlisle rep). Ding, ding, ding!!! That’s right, Johnny, we have a winner!

Quote:
GTT never ever offered my a discount for their torches, I even bought one as a birthday present for my then-friend Catt - and paid full price. I am neither badmouthing GTT torches, nor am I promoting Carlisle because of personal business interest.
That’s right. You were not compensated in any way for your glowing comments about GTT. Those were honest opinions.

But, you are badmouthing GTT, now. Period. That is the whole reason for my original post. Re-read what you wrote. And then, re-read what I wrote. I have no personal interest in you or anything that you do – UNTIL IT INERFERES WITH MY LIFE. And, this ties back into who I am… I see by your website blog that you have figured that out.

Willy and Wally are two of the nicest guys in the world. They have worked very hard building their business. When someone comes in and starts lying about them, their customer service, or their products, you can bet that they won’t take it laying down.

Quote:
EVery single beadmaker I have talked to who has used the Mini CC loves it.... Torches are only as good as the purpose for which they are used...
That’s great. I’m all for freedom of choice. But, you don’t have to tear down one product in order to sell, uh, I mean praise another.

Quote:
So, just READ what I say, pretty please...and if you have an issue with me KBINKSTER, take it up with me in person, you know where you can find me, which is more than I can say about YOU....
Well, you obviously know how to find me, as I have my PM feature enabled. In fact, I received your PM, foul language and all. Why don’t you go back and read what you said? Pretty please. You were the one to bring your lies about GTT into the public forum (and if you forgot which lies I’m referring to, re-read my original post). I answered them like for like. I only used your own words. If you had taken up any “issues” you had with GTT, its customer service, or its products in person to begin with, I would have never had to say anything at all. You have the record for taking personal matters up before the court of public opinion. And then, you use your blog to you beat up your adversaries when things don’t go your way in the public arena.

Oh, and about that Bobcat you claim GTT has… In your conversation with Wally today (10/03/05), you never made mention of it. Aren’t you concerned about its whereabouts? Who is calling whom unorganized? If you don’t have time to track it down yourself, give us the tracking number, we’ll try to find it for you. GTT does have a shipping assistant, after all.

And since you are so concerned about Willy and Wally speaking for themselves, here’s a message straight from the guys:

We don’t go looking for fights. When somebody puts out false accusations against us, we will not stand for it. We’re going to defend ourselves. We would like a retraction of the false statements she [Corina] said about our company and us. And, we would like a public apology. It’s that simple.

Look, Corina, this has gone on long enough in the public arena. I don’t want to cause any more division on this forum. It is not good for anyone. If you have anything else to say to me, you have my PM. It has always been enabled. Take it up with me in private and leave the membership here on LE alone.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:43am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Your IP: 52.90.49.108