LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-08-21, 4:45pm

Default how do you look at your flame?

I have been off my torch for the summer and *tried* to make beads the other day and it was a mess from start to finish. I'm thinking of another thread for the more "technical" problems, and it occurs to me that this is maybe a health and comfort thing as much as anything, but figured I'd try here first to see if it gets any hits.

I have an adjustable chair, and as far as ergonomics go, I believe in moving as much as anything to alleviate problems. So I go up and down a lot on my little spinny chair. Usually. I could not seem to find anything resembling a comfortable position th other day. I even tried standing, but the strain of looking down was way too much for my neck to take. I usually try to angle my head (with minor wiggling to adjust the torch angle) so I'm looking slightly up at the bead, or dead across at it. I sometimes rest my elbows on the table on a gel wrist rest thing mostly shielded from flying glass by the edge of the stainless steel tray I work in/on. I'm waiting for the thing to ignite soon and send flaming goo everywhere (my life is like that), so usually I'm elbow to table top, not the best. This was jacking my shoulders higher than I remember before. So maybe try dropping my arms/elbows down, under the table level? I know people swear by the creation stations but I'd sort of like to try one before flinging a C-note into the mix. I have been using small propane tanks and want to switch to bulk tanks (more on that in the other thread), so adjusting how I look at the flame means adjusting how I attach the torch to the table more than before.

Oh, and I have ACE 202 glasses, that had been ok until the little hiatus, at least I thought so. Are they really AUR 92 glasses, or not? My eyes are a mess, 2 days later still all dry and gritty. I only spent about $30 on them, and they *said* they were AUR lenses, but everyone seems to spend a ton more on glasses so I'm rethinking the whole "just because it said so, doesn't make it necessarily so" thing.

So how do you hold you head and neck- and arms and elbows- when you torch??

thanks for the help-
Sarah
Old 2006-08-21, 5:21pm
Satake Woman!

Sarah, where are you at? It would be best if you could find someone near you to try out their creation station. I find that mine has done my back a world of good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-21, 5:53pm

I'm in Lexington, KY, Jo. I've only heard raves about the creation station, but never used one. Will the elbow rests move vertically?
Ok, I'm glad you told me that, Kimberly. I looked at the auction, it said AUR 92 in the description, but ACE 202 on the box. Shafted. I hate that. I got them months ago when I was compiling supplies to get started. It was from glass vendors people liked :shrug:
But how do you position yourself at the torch???
thanks-
Sarah
Old 2006-08-21, 6:33pm
Satake Woman!

Sarah, they don't move vertically but you can put leather pads on them to raise your elbows if you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-21, 7:47pm
Safety ALWAYS

ACE 202 filters are made by Phillips. The problem is probably optical quality, probably NOT filter quality, unless the lenses are very thin.

If you are working soft glass, any of the ACE filters (we call them AUR-92) are fine. If you are working borosilicate, you should NOT be working with just ACE filters, you need additional filtration to block the IR.

Your symptoms are very similar to overexposure to IR.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-08-22, 9:04am
The Andrea Half

What are good lampworking glasses to use when you already wear prescription glasses? I don't do boro work; just Moretti / Lauscha / Vetrifond on a HH.

Old 2006-08-22, 10:12am

Mincot , use the clip ons that Mike A. has for lampworking.
Janet
Old 2006-08-22, 7:53pm
Glass Jack in the Box

Can also look into bench shields the Mike also has, under "other filter products".

There are two kinds, one for softglass and one for boro.

PondRacer