Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-07, 7:56pm
And silence is golden

Default Dale Chihuly. What glass does he use?

I finally had the opportunity to do something out of the ordinary today. A roadtrip to the Naples Museum of Art to view the Dale Chihuly Exhibit. I must say that I was quite impressed!

Is anyone familiar enough with his work that you might know what types of glass he works in? System 96 - Kugler? Reichenbach? Zimmerman? Boro? Gaffer? Chek? I was so thoroughly enthralled with the translucent and transparent qualities of the glass that he uses. And what does he use to get the gold appearance in he pieces? If I had to guess, I'd say that he uses/encases a lot of gold leaf.

I am assuming that this thread is going to need a bumping after the Vegas show, in order to hear from some of the western folks.
Old 2010-04-07, 8:01pm
Sucks at being nice

Let me check with the curators when I go to work tomorrow and I'll get back with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-07, 8:52pm
And silence is golden

I asked the staff at the museum, and they knew very little about glass art.
Old 2010-04-07, 8:57pm
Hobby Junkie

My friend's brother works for him. I'll ask for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-07, 9:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
My friend's brother works for him. I'll ask for you.
I want to be your friends brother. <oh so jealous>

I actually have a piece of Chihuly glass. I'll take a picture and post it if you like?

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-04-07, 9:59pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I want to be your friends brother. <oh so jealous>

I actually have a piece of Chihuly glass. I'll take a picture and post it if you like?

-D

I like.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-07, 10:14pm
And silence is golden

Cori that would be great! Have him inquire about the gold leaf as well. I could be wrong, he could have used Gold Pixie Dust.

Donna, YES by all means, post a picture!
Old 2010-04-08, 1:08am
PyronamixK

Also know that he works in plastic, as well. So, some of what you see may not be glass.
Old 2010-04-08, 3:01am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Also know that he works in plastic, as well. So, some of what you see may not be glass.
Blasphemy - plastic? - Hurmph!!!!!!!
Old 2010-04-08, 7:27am

The pieces I have seen look like blown boro.
Old 2010-04-08, 8:08am

Back when I was transitioning from stained glass to lampwork, I was making kaleidoscopes and had some consigned in a glass gallerys in Seattle.

One summer when I was visiting my daughter (she lives in Seattle), we stopped by the gallery. I told Cindy we were on our way to see some Chilhuly glass and she said she had some, would we like to see? Heck ya!!

So she brought out this box of broken glass and said "Don't tell anyone, but I went dumpster diving. Would you like a piece? I have more in the back..." I nearly fell over laughing.

So here's my Chihuly glass.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-04-08, 9:34am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
At the Naples exhibit, it was titled "Dale Chihuly Glass Exhibit". Nary was there mention of "plastic". Perhaps that explains why the signs say "stand at least 48" away from the objects".

I'm with Linda on that:
Quote:
Blasphemy - plastic? - Hurmph!!!!!!!
I somehow doubt that what I saw was plastic.
Old 2010-04-08, 9:36am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Im pretty sure its 90 and 96, definitely not boro

~~
~~
Old 2010-04-08, 9:38am

http://www.glassfacts.info/indexcfe2.html?fid=92
This is from an exhibit I went to last year, I would guess these in the water are the resin plastic stuff,

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2010-04-08 at 9:48am.
Old 2010-04-08, 9:52am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

There was a special on PBS a couple of years ago, "In the hotshop with Dale Chihuly" I think it was called, it was awesome!

Bellagio in Vegas has the big glass chandelier that he did and a little store with some of his glass for sale.

Quote:
So here's my Chihuly glass.
I'd kill just to even have a "dumpster" piece...it's cool..make a pendant out of it!

Janet

Old 2010-04-08, 9:55am
needs creative tagline

Far as I know, his glass stuff is all furnace work, so its probably 96. Definitely not boro, can't imagine trying to work that in a furnace setup. The furnace workers I know generally use R, Z, and K in whatever combinations work for them and don't necessarily stick with just one brand. Some of the furnace glasses do a lot of different striking and reducing things so that could be where the gold look is coming from.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-04-08, 10:25am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

He uses spruce pine batch for clear 96, and all the glass blowing color, Reichenbach, Zimmerman, Gaffer Kugler.
We use the same.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2010-04-08, 10:54am
Hobby Junkie

My friend heard back from his brother. Mike's info listed above is 100% correct. He does use gold leaf in some of his pieces.

Old 2010-04-08, 11:16am
Pyromaniac

I saw the Chihuly exhibit in St. Louis as well as a small one here in Memphis and they were breathtaking.

I'm sure everyone knows this but here's a little history:
Interestingly, a real, by his own hands Chihuly piece has not been made since 1976. All the work with his name on it is made by his glassblowing team based on his designs.

Since his car accident in 1976 which left him sightless in his left eye, Chihuly has not done his own glassblowing, since his lack of depth perception makes working with hot glass too dangerous. Ironically, that same year the Metropolitan Museum of Art bought three of his pieces for its permanent collection, and Chihuly was on the art map.

In 2006, Chihuly filed a lawsuit against his former longtime employee, glassblower Bryan Rubino, and businessman Robert Kaindl, under accusations of copyright and trademark infringement. Kaindl's pieces used titles Chihuly used for his own works, such as Seaforms and Ikebana, as well as resembling the construction of Chihuly's pieces. Arguments made by legal experts stated influence on art style is not copyright infringement, and in a 2003 California case an artist was ruled against because he "couldn't have a copyright on the way jellyfish look". He settled both of those suits independently.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-04-08, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
He uses spruce pine batch for clear 96, and all the glass blowing color, Reichenbach, Zimmerman, Gaffer Kugler.
We use the same.

Mike
yep I would have just guessed 96 cuz thats what we use in the hot shop, but
I found an article where he was touting bulleye. and their fantastic colors,He did not say he used them however. so thats that,

~~
~~
Old 2010-04-08, 1:34pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
We use the same.

Mike
Hey Mike, Thank you so much for your input. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what is meant by:
Quote:
spruce pine batch for clear 96
Would someone be kind enough to clarify this?
Old 2010-04-08, 3:57pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Hey Mike, Thank you so much for your input. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what is meant by: Would someone be kind enough to clarify this?
Its all the raw material that makes glass

Mike

Old 2010-04-08, 3:58pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
yep I would have just guessed 96 cuz thats what we use in the hot shop, but
I found an article where he was touting bulleye. and their fantastic colors,He did not say he used them however. so thats that,
He did when they were at the bullseye factory, the made some cool stuff but its a little stiffer to blow.

Mike

Old 2010-04-08, 4:09pm

Quote:
Hey Mike, Thank you so much for your input. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what is meant by: Would someone be kind enough to clarify this?
Spruce Pine Batch is the name of a company.

http://www.sprucepinebatch.com/glassbatch.html

Quote:

I'm with Linda on that: I somehow doubt that what I saw was plastic.
What you saw probably wasn't plastic but he does work in plastic. Apparently he developed a new type of plastic he calls "polyvitrio". 'Crystal Mountain' was made in polyvitrio as was the towers on the bridge in Tacoma.

Last edited by mini; 2010-04-08 at 4:20pm.
Old 2010-04-08, 5:13pm
Happy Beadmaker!

The dumpster diving story is a hoot!

~
~
~
Old 2010-04-08, 6:50pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Its all the raw material that makes glass

Mike
Mike, are you being Wolfie?

Old 2010-04-09, 11:48am

The glass museum in Tacoma, Washington has many of Chihuly's pieces and was inspired by him. On their website they explain how the 94-96 coe soda lime glass used by glassblowers is formed. www.museumofglass.org
Old 2010-04-09, 9:22pm
Resident Luny

I have heard some folks whine about the fact he doesn't make his own glass pieces anymore. But you know, I don't care. He still comes up with the designs, painting them first (which he could then sell, no idea if he does...genius if he does). He had to stop because of his injuries, but still loves glass, it is obvious. There are some great DVD's on him and some installations, I got them at the library. He found a way to keep working....good enough for me.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2010-04-09, 10:47pm
Cat Lady

Chihuly is trying to open a glass museum in Seattle. Unfortunately it's in the recently torn down Seattle Center Fun Garden space, and it's drawn the ire of the stuffy gallery art scene. It's sad because they seem to equate Chihuly's business-oriented marketing with all glass art. I would enjoy having a Chihuly museum in my town though I can also understand why some people want that particular space to become a park. I'm sick of the "mainstream" artists in Seattle turning up their noses to all glass art, though.

Seriously, the last time I went to a first Thursday art walk I saw a stained handkerchief with a ridiculously amateur embroidery design on sale for $3,000. The same people who fawned over that turn up their noses at Pratt's glass art walk exhibits which took far more talent and artistic vision to create.
Old 2010-04-10, 7:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
I have heard some folks whine about the fact he doesn't make his own glass pieces anymore. But you know, I don't care. He still comes up with the designs, painting them first (which he could then sell, no idea if he does...genius if he does). He had to stop because of his injuries, but still loves glass, it is obvious. There are some great DVD's on him and some installations, I got them at the library. He found a way to keep working....good enough for me.
It's just another excuse to try to try to tear down someone. What he does is not new there are plenty of studios where the maestro doesn't actually do the work.