No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-02, 8:29pm

Default Silver glass question

Hi, All!

I'm looking for a silver glass that starts out transparent, doesn't matter which color, and reduces to a teal blue. It doesn't have to have a metallic sheen to it when the reducing has reached that blue. I'm creating a hollow type bead. I want to keep an eye on that precious air bubble and end up with an opaque looking bead in the end. If I'm successful, I'll happily post a pic (if I can figure out how)

I was very successful with the transparent glass....it turned out pretty cool (I'm creating a specific shape with a purpose) but now I need it to be opaque when complete and want to ensure that bubble is big enough....
And then.....if at all possible could you include the process you used to get that color if it was more than just simply reducing? I'm still doing a lot of hit and miss with results from silver glass.

THANKS!!!!
Elyart
Old 2012-01-02, 9:48pm
Lampworkaholic!

Your best bet might be Precision Rembrandt. Make your hollow as usual then waft through a reduction flame. But I think I'd go with something like CiM Atlantis or CiM Electric Avenue, with a little practice you should be able to gauge the size of your bubble. As long as you get the hollow built with no gaps, the air inside it will expand and the bubble will become round as you gravity shape the hollow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-01-04, 4:10pm

Or TAG Cezanne... this is a hollow of Cezanne, with flowers of Zeus over white, reduced.....
It only looks transparent when held to the light. If I had reduced it more, and used some oxy in the mix, it would be much more teal and opaque:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-01-04, 7:31pm

Awesome!!!! Thanks, Jenny and Elizabeth.

I'll try it! I think I have "a little" of it....like shorts I think. I'll check! Can't wait to try it.
So now I'll try Rembrandt and Chagall. But I like the teal from the Chagall.
Rembrandt....that's a green transparent, right? "I'm so excited!"....I think I'm on to something really different....
-Elyart
Old 2012-01-05, 1:40am
Gimme that silver glass!

I've had good succes with Northstar Precision Ivy. It's transparant, until you reduce it. I wanted the opposite, a transparant shiny hollow but it turned opaque and shiny on me .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2012-01-05, 10:17am

Yeah,
But I haven't been able to find Ivy. Does anybody still carry it?
I've always wanted to try Ivy & Black pearl but they were always out.
Who still carries that?

Elyart
Old 2012-01-05, 10:54am
burnin' glass just becuz

DH Electra gives a very pretty teal blue when reduced... it tends to fume clear though so if you dont want that effect you may have to experiment with several clears or use a pale blue to encase.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-01-05, 11:04am

Why not learn to infer the size and shape of the bubble by observing the outer dimensions of the bead? This is something that is a very valuable skill in glass blowing. I had the same dilemma when I first started years ago but I learned to use opaque colors by doing this.
Old 2012-01-05, 8:01pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I would choose DH Electra also.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2012-01-13, 8:35pm

OK.
I tried to "infer" the bubble ....doing a lot of practice! Got some great results.
Then the kiln misfired. By the time I came in to check that all was going well it had all melted into the firebrick.
The Kiln Doc thinks the relay got stuck. So now I get more education! Now I'm learning how to resurface the bottom of my kiln. Not the education was looking for. In the meantime I think I'll order some Electra.

Elyart