No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-09, 1:19am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default Do Lortone Tumblers Run Hot

I received my lortone tumbler in September and have not used it a whole lot. So this week I've been making troll beads and coring them with silver. I decided to use my stainless steel shot and see what it does. I used very little shot and tumbled about 12 beads. I ran the tumbler for about two hours and it's so hot, it would be painful to hold. I did contact the company and they said they are hot to the touch, but mine is more than hot. I cannot feel comfortable leaving it on my table. I think it would definitely melt plastic and ruin a wood surface.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-09, 3:06am
Phill

I am sorry I can not answer your question but I am going to subscribe to this thread so I can remember to read what ever answers you do get. Maybe there are tumbler forums that might show up on google.
Old 2013-12-09, 4:00am
formerly Marella

I have a Lortone tumbler and it sits on my wooden workbench. After it's been running for a couple of hours the motor housing gets warm...not warm enough that it's uncomfortable to touch, but quite warm.

I have had some concern that if I left it running longer...say overnight, that it would heat up more and be a problem. I've not tested that hypothesis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Old 2013-12-09, 5:01am

What part of the machine is hot the motor housing or the barrels?
Could the airflow be limited by sitting on a shag carpet or very close to the wall?
Could the barrels be overloaded and straining the motor?
Have you opened the motor compartment to check for debris?

Old 2013-12-09, 9:20am
Against the Grain

I used mine last week and noticed the same thing. I've had this tumbler for at least 2 years and never noticed it before. I do feel concerned about leaving it unattended out in the shed overnight. I am also wondering if this is normal. Mine wasn't so hot that I couldn't touch it though.

Old 2013-12-09, 9:40am
Uh Oh....

Mine gets hot but not that hot. I did read on some lapidary forum that some people take the whole casing off so more air gets to the motor and it stays cooler since they run them 24/7 at times.

Old 2013-12-09, 9:44am
Senior Moment

Yep, mine does carry some heat when tumbling for hours. They are made for long use. The only issues I have had with them .. Were easily solved by calling the company.. They were very helpful...

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Old 2013-12-09, 9:47am
Senior Moment

Ohh, just retread your op.. Can you put in on a concrete floor or heatproof surface? Also when tumbling cored beads I tend to put a tiny zipstrap thru the hole to ease removal of the steel shot. After a long session in the tumbler some of the shot can get seriously stuck !

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Old 2013-12-09, 11:33am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Zipstrip is a good idea as I had a hard time with one of my beads this morning. Shot was on both sides and I did have a hard time removing. I have been using the tumbler on my table that has a protective heat surface on it, but felt it was too hot for me to place it there. I have only had it since the end of Sept. And it makes a bit of a racket when the barrel is in position. When I take the barrel and the housing off it's quiet. Not sure what's doing that. Will have to investigate further. I also have to mention that the belt has slipped off twice. It i s as tight as can be.

Losthelm - The barrel isn't overloaded; the heat is from the motorhousing; it's not sitting on shag carpet or close to a wall; I've opened the motor compartment many times.

I guess Ill run it hard to see what happens on a more secure surface. I have a year warranty. Thanks for all your help.

Ebay:
Old 2013-12-09, 6:55pm
Wonder-wench

the water inside the barrel gets hot, but not too hot to touch. I have run it overnight many times with no observable issue.

I have not really checked if the motor is overheating, but I do understand these are designed for rock enthusiasts and they have to tumble rocks for a very long time to polish. The literature with the tumbler indicates it is designed to run for 24 hours continuously and their example of how to tumble rocks says to run it for "5-7 days".