No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-19, 4:09pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Default EDP, Is it really almost out?

I have a small stash of EDP. I didn't like it at first, but now I love it. I think its from the old batch. My rods are more pink colored.

What is the new machine pulled like? Anything similar?

Should I use the last of my rods mindfully, or is there more??

Can we talk to Frantz or Arrow Springs to get more hand pulled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-19, 5:30pm

Runor is that the new color doesn't do what the old color did. Most dealers are out of old. I still have some left. Mike mentioned in a post that he can get some pulled but I forgot the details of how..

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-06-19, 6:57pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I'm wondering what the details are with Frantz?

Is anyone else interested in more EDP? Perhaps if there a lot of people interested, we can convince them to do a hand pull.

Old 2010-06-19, 7:12pm
sunscreen me baby

What I remember is that you aren't guaranteed a thing. It could turn out just like what is available now. But you will be obligated to keep what you get because you "ordered" the pull.

~

Old 2010-06-19, 7:45pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Ok, is it worth a try though?

Old 2010-06-19, 9:13pm
Dangerous Woman

I used the new stuff and it totally sucks the big one. It comes out more of a pinkish gray color. I bought as much of the old stuff as I could find and afford. Mike said that it is still being hand pulled and he seemed unaware that the new stuff is different. After all of the threads complaining about how bad the new stuff is I don't see how he can not know.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-06-19, 10:01pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Well, sounds like we need to have a chat!!!

Old 2010-06-20, 5:56am

Seems like I remember the details of how to get a special pull were laid out in a manner to discourage it. Risky, expensive, long time, poor logistics, etc. etc.
Old 2010-06-20, 12:02pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I think there's a real opportunity for one of the glass manufacturers to try to duplicate the recipes for EDP and some of the other popular hand-pulled glass out there. I know I'd love to see more dark silver plum!!! The new stuff stinks!
Old 2010-06-20, 12:14pm

You've got to be kidding me, where have I been, I had no idea, I use this someplace on half my beads. Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. I just hate it when they do this, why after all these years would they screw with EDP. Now it's probably to late to get anymore of the old. Quess I will be pulling stingers to make it last longer. Dicrodi
Old 2010-06-20, 12:53pm
Semi Retired

I suspect EDP's original formula involved Zimmerman purple rose. Now that is out of production, we are all out of luck.

|

|

|

|

Old 2010-06-20, 1:26pm

Thank you Flamedame....Dicrodi
Old 2010-06-20, 1:32pm
needs to light the torch.

I am so out of the loop... No more EDP!?!?! Wow....
Well I have some of the old kind, maybe I should auction it off LOL

Old 2010-06-20, 3:21pm
Bad Cat Glass

This really bites. I have a few rods of the old stuff, but I ordered some of the new without realizing it, and it is NOTHING like the hand pulled. I don't understand why they would do this when they were clearly selling it and making money. It doesn't make sense.
Old 2010-06-20, 4:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichromary View Post
I suspect EDP's original formula involved Zimmerman purple rose. Now that is out of production, we are all out of luck.
I don't see how that's at all possible since they are two different COE's.

Old 2010-06-20, 4:57pm

I think the COE depends on the recipe so I suppose EDP could have had a proportion on Zimmerman Rose tho' I wonder how likely it is that Moretti would base a recipe on glass from another manufacturer.

I am confused as to why 'handpulling' v 'machinepulling' would make such a difference to EDP? Wouldn't it almost have to be a change in recipe rather than a change later in the process? I assumed that the pull is the last thing so how does it change the glass makeup so drastically?

My first thought is for Plum, EDP and other handpulls is that they were expensive or difficult to make as they were so they were changed to make them cheaper, therefore not as good for us. I have never seen Moretti as a 'responsive' glass maker, more like 'its our way or the hiway!'

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-06-20, 4:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If anything, Purple Rose was based on EDP than the other way around.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-20, 6:31pm
Dangerous Woman

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158358

See post #4 Mike says that EDP is still handpulled.

Old 2010-06-21, 6:24am
state-eternal change

Correct me if I'm wrong, but search for "premium" on Frantz' website. You'll see in the descriptions of these colours if they are handmade or not. If Effetre has changed up and the colour is now machine-pulled, the order number has a "-M" beside it. The machine pulled ones are cheaper to buy.

Old 2010-06-23, 12:10pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood View Post
I am so out of the loop... No more EDP!?!?! Wow....
Well I have some of the old kind, maybe I should auction it off LOL

It's starting to show up in the garage.

Old 2010-06-23, 12:53pm
Bad Cat Glass

Flamedame has the old EDP for $55 a pound.
Old 2010-06-23, 12:54pm
beads....mmmm

sob. I love edp.
Old 2010-06-23, 1:14pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

These are from the newer, more purple color. I like it. I got the matte finish in the back flame to bring it out.

Old 2010-06-23, 1:14pm

The sad thing is that I thought I had another 22 lbs of it somewhere but I haven't found it yet!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-06-23, 1:52pm

I still have hundreds of lbs of the hand-pull version.
Ron
Old 2010-06-24, 11:20am
Will work for glass...

Didn't read all the other posts in here, so forgive me if I repeat. But it really does suck. I posted a thread in here a few months ago mentioning that I had bought EDP from THREE different suppliers hoping to get a somewhat decent batch, and although all three were different in outward appearance, they all melted down into a brownish, reddish pile of crap. The benefit of posting the thread was actually that someone had a little bit of the old stuff and offered to sell it to me...
Old 2010-06-25, 9:02am
Glass-aholic

Paula Actually has the best EDP I have seen in YEARS! I saw it and hand picked my rods a few years ago!! I am sure it's the same stuff!!! I use it like G O L D ! really. I dont buy EDP w/o actually getting a pic of the end of the rods, or hand picking.... it's useless if you cant get a good center!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-06-25, 11:29am

Thanks Jaci..It is the same stuff!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-06-25, 11:36am
I'm a lilac!

Watch this "awful" new stuff just be a variation in batch, and worth a fortune in a year when you can't get it anymore...

Old 2010-06-25, 11:45am
Glass-aholic

can we trick them now?? im low on cash how about $$$400$$$ a LB or maybe just for 1/2lb HAHA

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: