Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of TE-445M?
TE-445M works the same as original Terra. 4 16.67%
TE-445M works close to original Terra but is not quite it. 9 37.50%
TE-445M works nothing like original Terra. 1 4.17%
I've never worked with original Terra but I like TE-445M. 9 37.50%
I've never worked with original Terra but I don't like TE-445M. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-26, 3:30pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default TE-445M and Original Terra Poll

We're curious to hear back from those of you that recently ordered TE-445M (an original Terra test batch) from our website.
Thanks,
Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2011-04-26, 5:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

OK, how did I miss this, and is there any TE-445M left?

I signed up for the mailing list long ago, but I don't think I am getting the newsletters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-26, 6:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think it's pretty similar - I made some test beads the other night. I found it a little harder to strike than I remember Terra being, but I haven't used it for a while. I am going to make some with both the next time I torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-26, 6:25pm

I got some good colors with the TE 445M it, very similar to the Orginal Tera (OT). I can't remember if I wrote to you guys or not. At first I got a lot of browns, but it had been a while since I used OT, so the second time I used it, got some good color. Very similar to OT. Maybe slightly difficult to strike.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-04-27, 5:32am
Gimme that silver glass!

I'm waiting for my TE 445 to arrive and will let you know how I feel about it .

Lara & squid, what do you mean by "difficult to strike"? Difficult to get the colors after it turned a dark brown?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-04-27, 9:46pm

I don't get the colors to pop as easily and yes, harder after turned brown, but I'm getting more used to it now.

Old 2011-04-28, 11:17am
jamieincharlotte

I got some TE445 and it makes beautiful colors until I encase it. Then they fade away.
What am I doing wrong? I use a Cricket torch and a Jenn Ken kiln set on 920. I've struggled with Terranova but finally got it after I found out how to do it step by step.
The TE445 makes beautiful blues, greens, and other colors before the encasing. Maybe the bead was too hot when I did it? Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 2011-04-28, 11:18am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I don't get the colors to pop as easily and yes, harder after turned brown, but I'm getting more used to it now.
Yep, same here.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-28, 11:25am
jamieincharlotte

What do you think? Bead too hot?
Old 2011-04-28, 12:09pm
Life is change. Love it

Encase it before the colours appear?

Old 2011-04-28, 12:22pm
jamieincharlotte

I'll try that. DH is hard to master but once you find it...hallelujah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for answering.
j
Old 2011-04-28, 12:25pm
Against the Grain

I'm not sure yet. I've only tried it once. All I got was the dark brown. I think that probably means it's not quite the same, but I want to try it again before I cast a vote.

Old 2011-04-28, 1:07pm
jamieincharlotte

I'll let you know...I'm getting ready to try it again. I've gone past the dark brown and beautiful colors come out but can't hold on to them.
Old 2011-04-28, 7:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Once you get the dark brown, reheat to a dull red glow - that is where I get the color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-04-28, 8:01pm
Cat Lady

I missed Original Terra but I like TE-445. So far its colors are turning out somewhat muted while when encased.

I've tried making some identically-worked focals from TE-445 and Ekho. Ekho produces much more brilliant blues and purples, TE-445 tends toward pastels and greens. Ekho is easier to strike past brown and holds color better under encasement. Also, Ekho (and Terra2) have the iridescence even on beads that aren't reduced before encasing.

Overall I like the Ekho's dramatic colors best but I'd use TE-445 for a more organic palette.
Old 2011-04-28, 8:14pm

Yes, I forgot to mention that Kerry, I too got some pale greens and brown when encased, even when encasing dark colors.

Old 2011-04-28, 8:50pm
Mmmmm....Raku

I voted that it worked the same as the original. I was able to get good color, consistently throughout a whole set of beads.

The only slight difference I noticed is that the original Terra that I bought back when it was in production seems just a tad bit more translucent. The original, when swirled in with clear over a dark base looked more wispy, and almost see-through.

For this set I used a base of Effetre black and dotted with the TE-445M. I melted the dots in and reshaped the barrel. Then I give it a quick, deep heat and as I marvered it again, the dots cool and turn really dark to the point where I almost can't see them against the black base. At this point I encased the bead in Aether and shaped using a round bead roller. The heat from the clear developed the colors for me. I didn't get the bead white hot molten when I encased it. I encase using rods that I pull down into fat (3-4mm) stringers so my encasing glass is not so screaming hot when it goes on. I popped them in the kiln and garaged at 950 all day while I worked. The first beads in looked just like the last beads in when they came out. I could see the colors before I put the beads in the kiln and they looked the same when they came out.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2011-04-28, 9:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw man, Dawn...your beads are always so beautiful!!! These almost make me want to try again with ANY of the Terra-a-likes. Almost...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-28, 9:54pm
da General

Dawn - which original Terra batch did you compare TE-445M to? If memory serves - hopefully Jed will confirm - there were two distinct batches of the original Terra. The first was creamy green color in rod form while the second was dark shiny brown.

I voted that it worked the same as the original as well. I made a couple of beads using the original Terra on one end and TE-445 on the other and they struck in the same range of hues.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-28, 11:11pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Awww...Thanks DeAnne!

Hayley, the beads in the photo are from a 3-11 batch. The rods were brown and looked just like my Terra 2 rods. After they released the test batches for sale I got some of the 3-11 batch and I also got some of the 3-29 batch that were lighter in color and more slender. Both batches seemed to work the same with the few test beads I made.

I had one rod of the original Terra left to compare to and it was the slender greenish rod.

And just out of curiosity, I made a solid Terra bead and encased it with Aether on one side and Zephyr on the other and both sides were exactly the same.

Last edited by Dawn >^..^<; 2011-04-28 at 11:13pm.
Old 2011-04-30, 8:48am

WOW, Dawn those are just beautiful.
Old 2011-04-30, 9:08am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Hayley, the beads in the photo are from a 3-11 batch. The rods were brown and looked just like my Terra 2 rods. After they released the test batches for sale I got some of the 3-11 batch and I also got some of the 3-29 batch that were lighter in color and more slender. Both batches seemed to work the same with the few test beads I made.

I had one rod of the original Terra left to compare to and it was the slender greenish rod.

And just out of curiosity, I made a solid Terra bead and encased it with Aether on one side and Zephyr on the other and both sides were exactly the same.
Thanks, Dawn! I only tested with the greenish batch so it's good to know you have the same experience with the shinny brown ones too. Gorgeous set of beads, as always! Sorry I sometimes get so involved in the technical aspect of the topic at hand and forget to compliment the work!

ETA: Aether is only reactive with some reducing silver glass. . . in my experience, I had never seen it change any reaction with striking ones.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2011-04-30 at 2:12pm.
Old 2011-04-30, 1:51pm
I speak Murrini!

Curious...I saw that Dawn mentions she uses "Aether" as her encasing clear; are there other "clears" that do and don't like this "new" Terra? I'm a hard-core lover of Lauscha 104 Soft Clear...I have nor use any other. But..............do you think it will play nice with the new Terra?

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-04-30, 4:57pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Curious...I saw that Dawn mentions she uses "Aether" as her encasing clear; are there other "clears" that do and don't like this "new" Terra? I'm a hard-core lover of Lauscha 104 Soft Clear...I have nor use any other. But..............do you think it will play nice with the new Terra?
Back in the days of the original Terra, I used either Vetrofond or Lauscha clear to encase with....the older original Lauscha clear. Later I encased a few beads that were solid Terra with the reformulated Lauscha and they cracked, so I went back to using Vetrofond. And I've never tried the Lauscha soft.

Old 2011-05-07, 12:49am
Gimme that silver glass!

I've got my TE-445 and had to play with it. I found it works quite like Terra, but is not thesame. I've got several batches of the original terra and there was a batch, with a burgundy colored rod, which could be struck and reduced. Well, this TE-445 is like that imho. It reduced in a neutral flame (a bit like Terra2). Anyone else noticed this too?

There was a very nice thing that I haven't found in original terra. If you roll it on graphite/brass when it's white hot, it get's mottled. I'll make a pic of that bead and show it.

But I haven't been able to get the awesome blues Dawn got, but gotta try some more !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-05-07, 11:16am
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
It reduced in a neutral flame (a bit like Terra2). Anyone else noticed this too?
Yes, this is happening to me too. It's reminding me a little bit of Ekho, which I love btw. It seems more translucent than original Terra. I'm definitely not getting colors like Dawn's, but I didn't try it over black yet. The top half of this bead is the TE-445 encased. I may have encased it too soon. I started to get some purple and was afraid that if I kept going I would lose it.

Old 2011-05-23, 1:47pm
formerly Marella

These are TE-445M encased with Lauscha clear...I really like this glass.

I have to be careful though...I usually anneal quite high, around 985, and the TE-445M overstrikes at that temperature. I can't include them with other beads at the high temp

~
~
~
Old 2011-05-25, 7:35pm
organically speaking

I think it works almost exactly like the original Terra but the colors are slightly different and a little bit harder to get to. This could be because I'm using a different torch now than when I was using original Terra and am not quite tuned in yet. I'm having some issues with ALL of my silver glass, so I'm pretty sure it's a 'me' problem.

It doesn't matter, anyway. I really like the TE-445M and am soooo happy to have a Terra-like glass again. Thanks Jed and Julie!

Last edited by Mermaid Glass; 2011-08-24 at 6:59pm.
Old 2011-05-25, 8:31pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Dawn, you can get colors to pop on cow pies! I love what you can do with Raku......I can't get anything from it. I'm not surprised to see the beautiful results you got with this color! Maybe I need to take a class from you!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2011-05-25, 11:40pm

I can only get browns and tans. Maybe some very light blue along with the pale pale tan. But it literally, for me, goes from dark brown to very light tan. !!! Nothing inbetween! Grrr