LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-06, 7:06pm

Default R 733 examples, frit or cane?

I was hoping that someone would have some examples of this new color used in a bead that they are willing to show before I ordered it from OCR. Frit, cane or powder... would love to see any examples. Thanks!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-06, 7:46pm

I just posted in another thread... I have written up a blog post about R733 (vs Z99). Just finished, what timing you have Tina.

http://lutrick.blogspot.com/2011/07/...-rose-new.html

Here is a photo of just R733 beads.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-07-06, 8:56pm

Awesome Lara, I'm so glad you compared it directly with z99 which is what I was really curious about. All of those beads are gorgeous, the 733 is definitely a little more blue but overall a lot closer than I was expecting actually. I love those focals! Now I'll order more than I had planned on lol, not sure if that is good or bad .

Old 2011-07-07, 6:11pm

Thanks Tina!

Old 2011-07-07, 8:43pm
Meet Molly

Hello Lara,
Just took a look at your Z99 & Opal Yellow free-form bead compared to your R733 & Opal Yellow beads. They are all absolutely gorgeous! I have to agree, that though Z99 and R 733 are very similar, Z99 has more dark pink overtones whereas R 733 expresses a more med.lapis-like bluish tone. Both frits are wonderful. Thank you for comparing them in several different ways and in several bead forms. Excellent job, Lara.
Old 2011-07-07, 10:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Really pretty... I just ordered some frit today and am glad Reichenbach is offering this color! Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and ordered it in frit size 1 instead of powder... oh well, guess that means I have to order more!

Old 2011-07-08, 7:16pm
Cat Lady

Yum! Are any frit sellers stocking R-733 in frit or powder?
Old 2011-07-08, 10:29pm
I'm a lilac!

I got my R-733 today and it is lovely! Very different from the Z-99 in my opinion; it works differently and the outcome is less dense (maybe the formula could use more titanium oxide and gold) but an absolutely lovely glass in its own right.

I made beads with it, Z-99 and Z-850 for comparison, and will post them as soon as I can

Old 2011-07-08, 10:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammil View Post
Yum! Are any frit sellers stocking R-733 in frit or powder?
I got mine from Olympic Color Rods: http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...ID=22&pID=1966

Old 2011-07-08, 11:43pm

Can't wait to see them Kalera. I have a couple of different sizes coming to me, I can hardly wait!!!

Tina

Old 2011-07-11, 2:11pm
I'm a lilac!

OK, here are the results... I compared Z99, Z850, and R733. They are on a base of Uroboros Mauve rolled in R-108 powder.

Z99:

Z850:

R733:

My overall impression is that the Z99 shows the most fuchsia, with hints of blue coming out and a bit of orange reaction where it meets with silver-bearing glass. The Z850 is close to Z99 but more balanced between fuchsia and blue with only a hint of orange reaction, and the R733 has haloes of fuchsia and a stronger blue tone with no noticeable orange reaction. All three are gorgeous glasses in their own right.

Last edited by Kalera; 2011-07-11 at 2:15pm.
Old 2011-07-11, 4:29pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

*Be Still My Heart* Kalera any tips on how to work the R733? I finally figured out the Z99 just in time for it to go out of production.
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-07-11, 4:48pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
*Be Still My Heart* Kalera any tips on how to work the R733? I finally figured out the Z99 just in time for it to go out of production.
Cara
From what I've found so far, it can be worked very much like Z-99, but is less prone to boiling and devitrifies less.

Old 2011-07-12, 6:36pm

Thanks ya'll. I haven't been on LE for a couple days, sorry I didn't pop in to say thanks yet.

Kalera, your colors are very close, closer than I got.

Old 2011-07-13, 12:58pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
...Kalera, your colors are very close, closer than I got.
I agree. If you told me they were all made from the same color, I would believe you.

Old 2011-07-13, 1:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

I am definitely seeing less fuchsia and more blue in the 733, but it's still an incredible color. I need to order me some powder!

Old 2011-07-13, 6:29pm

Lovely, they're closer than I expected but i see what you mean about the reaction. Kalera, if you don't want a whole 0.5 kg of powder I have some coming to me this week i hope and can sell you some of mine if you're interested. I ordered several sizes and so was thinking of trying to sell off a little bit in the GS anyway.

Tina

Old 2011-07-13, 10:29pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Tina! I think I am going to need to place a pretty big glass order soon, so I'll just order then and let other folks have a chance at smaller quantities in the GS.

Old 2011-07-14, 3:40am
sunscreen me baby

Gorgeous! I must get some of this glass. I'll be watching. Although I do have a list going for an order as soon as that fund allows. I hate summer bead sales, it's so tough on the budget.

~

Old 2011-07-15, 11:09pm

I got my r733 stash today from OCR, yay! Made some test beads and played around with the powder a bit. I'll have to see in the morning but I think there may end up being more of a difference in the powder between r733 and z99 than in the larger sized frit. Consistency wise, z99 is somewhat sticky for me, like a lot of the Zimmerman powders and you get quite a bit of color even with small amounts. But the r733 powder doesn't seem to have the same consistency. I added several more layers of r733 powder compared to what I would use forz99 Because the color didn't seem as intense in the powder. I am curious to see what it's going to end up like, I'll post some picts tomorrow.

Last edited by SilverReflections; 2011-07-15 at 11:11pm.
Old 2011-07-16, 1:45am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
OK, here are the results... I compared Z99, Z850, and R733. They are on a base of Uroboros Mauve rolled in R-108 powder.

Z99:

Z850:

R733:

My overall impression is that the Z99 shows the most fuchsia, with hints of blue coming out and a bit of orange reaction where it meets with silver-bearing glass. The Z850 is close to Z99 but more balanced between fuchsia and blue with only a hint of orange reaction, and the R733 has haloes of fuchsia and a stronger blue tone with no noticeable orange reaction. All three are gorgeous glasses in their own right.
I have to admit. I have stalked your sight a little bit and have a newbie crush on your work. Those examples are lovely. Now I am going to go open a bottle of wine and have some private time with just me and those pictures. *laughs*

--Monica
Old 2011-07-16, 11:44am

Comparisons:

On opal yellow (Andrea Guarino style bead) r733 powder in the middle on the left bead and z99 powder in the middle on the right bead. these ended up more similar than I expected although I needed to use ~ 2-3x the amount of r733 powder compared to z99 powder. Pleasantly surprised, and it has the reaction to silver.

On copper green base, r733 powder on the left and z99 powder on the right side of the same bead. Pretty similar color wise, but the z99 has more of an organic feel to it since has "splotches" of color where you get the nice fuchsia color. Again I had to roll the bead in the r733 powder about 6-7 times compared to 2-3 for the z99 powder on this bead. Both have a reaction to opal yellow, though the r733 may be slightly less as Kalera found.

My wildflowers bead is not as straightforward of a comparison but I wanted to see how the r733 powder and #0 frit would substitute (left) for the z99 powder and z851 #0 frit (right) that I use in this style. There is definitely a bluer overall cast to the r733 mix on this bead, the opposite side (not shown) isn't quite as dramatic a difference but a slight difference in tone is still there.

And last, an organic frit bead using raku and multicolor dark as the base glass and adding in a lot of r733 #2 (in place of the z99 #2 that I would normally add to a bead like this) and a mixture of blue grass, turquoise, and silver lake frit/powder. The overall purple is bluer in tone and not vivid as I would expect based on somewhat similar beads done with the z99.

All in all, I think it will work better than I expected as a replacement for z99, it's by far the closest of anything else I have tried. (I'm still glad I have my small stash of z99.) I think if I had never come across z99 I would be ecstatic with this new purple rose lol. However, I feel like in general the few reichenbach opaque powders I have tried have all been less intense/vivd (if that's the right word) than the few zimmerman powders where a little bit goes a long way on a bead.

I'd love to see more comparisons if others have them.

Tina

Old 2011-07-16, 11:46am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Kalera, they're all very close. I'm happy to see there's a glass that's so close to z99.

Tina, they're all lovely & very much like z99. I especially am drawn to the last one.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-07-16, 8:33pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you Monica!

Old 2011-07-17, 6:42am
Cat herder

I picked up something called "Purple Rose" at Frantz. No manufacturer listed, and the number on the tube ends in 99. Can anyone tell me what I actually got?

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-07-17, 9:16am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
I picked up something called "Purple Rose" at Frantz. No manufacturer listed, and the number on the tube ends in 99. Can anyone tell me what I actually got?
Someone else got some from Frantz, too, and I think they concluded that it is the Zimmerman Purple Rose 99.

Old 2011-07-17, 9:48am

Thank you Vivian!

I have a little bit from frantz like that, it's Zimmerman. The color is darker than the r733 and timing wise r733 wasn't available yet when I got my purple rose from frantz. It's a yummy color, use it!

Tina

Old 2011-07-17, 9:27pm
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Someone else got some from Frantz, too, and I think they concluded that it is the Zimmerman Purple Rose 99.
Kalera - Thanks. Guess this means I'll have to hoard it.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-07-18, 6:48am
I'm a lilac!

My advice? Use it! Use it like crazy! Because it does absolutely nothing for you or anyone else if you don't. It was a lucky score, and that means you get to PLAY!

Old 2011-08-15, 8:40pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Eeeep! I am so excited to see the results here of the R733... Just ordered some for the store inventory! Yes! Beautiful beads everybody! Yummm.