LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-20, 9:43am

Default Removing bead release from the beads

I am having issues getting all the bead release off of my beads. I have tried brushes, diamond burrs, ultrasonic cleaner none seem to work to my satisfaction. Is there a tried and tru method of getting this stuf off the beads?
Old 2011-10-20, 9:47am
Nikki Haverstock

It can depend on the bead release. I believe that some come out easier than others. Which are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-20, 9:50am

I'm using Fusion, and I don't have any issues getting the beads off and unless I do something really stupid, I don't usually break the bead release when torching.
Old 2011-10-20, 9:53am

Initially - after the beads are cooled, I soak the beads/mandrels in vinegard and water to remove them from the mandrel. then I use the mandrel to scrap out some of the release.

I batch anneal my beads....

I use a dremel after the beads are annealed. I have a small clamp to hold the bead then put the clamp in a table clamp. I use Q tips to dot water on the bead to keep it wet while the dremel is cleaning out the hole.
Old 2011-10-20, 10:39am
one day at a time

I never have that problem with KRAG Mudd. It's easy to clean out with a dremel and diamond bit, just 2 seconds a bead and you're done.
Old 2011-10-20, 12:26pm

I take my beads off the mandrel and put them in a bowl of warm water to get the sludge wet, clean them with a dremel and throw them back into a bowl of clean water then take a pipe cleaner (for pipe smokers - not the craft ones) and clean any residue left from the dremel grit, wet mud and help dry out the hole. Sounds complicated but its not. Takes seconds per bead and I have nice shiny clean bead holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2011-10-20, 12:28pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

My bead release comes out completely, but on dark opaque beads and all transparent beads you can still see a film of white in the hole, as if the glass were stained. Nothing I've tried gets rid of it. I wonder if there is an acidic solvent that we could try. Something stronger than the bead release but weaker than the glass? Anyone know?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-10-20, 1:22pm

Thank you all, I will try soaking the bead after mandrel removal and try again. Maybe a little vinegar as well.
Old 2011-10-20, 3:00pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
My bead release comes out completely, but on dark opaque beads and all transparent beads you can still see a film of white in the hole, as if the glass were stained. Nothing I've tried gets rid of it. I wonder if there is an acidic solvent that we could try. Something stronger than the bead release but weaker than the glass? Anyone know?
You can't get rid of it unless you dremel the heck out of the hole with a BeaDreamer, which is a fine grade polishing diamond bit. Get the KRAG Mudd, because it's low residue and does not leave white stuff in the holes. Here's some clean holes, and this is why I won't use any other brand of bead release.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-10-20 at 3:02pm.
Old 2011-10-20, 5:01pm
Glass-aholic

I second the beaDreamer from art in the round
http://www.artintheround.com/catalog...nd&category=14
I am ordering a new one next week, but the one I have has cleaned THOUSANDS of beads I am sure! I have had it for years!!! It is almost gone now, but the small bit that is still there cleans like a champ still! I can not say enough about it. I have been through other diamond dremel bits before in no time flat! The BeaDreamer really I worth the money, and is the best designed bit I have ever used.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-10-20, 5:04pm
Glass-aholic

There is also dye that you can put in your holes. I have seen devardi cary it, and maybe somewhere else as well. You can get it in a multitude of colors I think. I dont really know much more about it, but it is out there

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-10-20, 5:57pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I second the beaDreamer from art in the round
http://www.artintheround.com/catalog...nd&category=14
I am ordering a new one next week, but the one I have has cleaned THOUSANDS of beads I am sure! I have had it for years!!! It is almost gone now, but the small bit that is still there cleans like a champ still! I can not say enough about it. I have been through other diamond dremel bits before in no time flat! The BeaDreamer really I worth the money, and is the best designed bit I have ever used.
Yep, mine too has lasted me thousands of beads over the last 6 years! I'll die if they are ever unavailable! lol!
Old 2011-10-21, 5:35am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Are you sure this is bead release? The glass in the hole is 'etched' after you remove the bead release, it will never look shiny unless you run some clear nail polish through it

Old 2011-10-21, 5:42am

Lorisue - you are working way to hard girl.

You should be able to twist to loosen, slide the bead up and down the mandrel a couple of times (removing release that wasn't under the bead as well as some of what is in the hole). Then while holding your bead in a cup of water (under the surface) use the dremel with a diamond bit to remove what's left. Wash with a bit of dish soap and pat dry. Done.

P.S. I use a mixture of 1/2 fusion and 1/2 fosterfire
Old 2011-10-21, 7:36am

Jenn L'Rhe - I tried holding the "wet" bead to dremel the hole but couldn't keep a good grip and didn't want to dremel my hand. Hence the little clamp. It's an extra step, but I feel more at ease this way.

the first part you mention sounds pretty much what I'm doing.

thanks
Old 2011-10-21, 8:04am
Sheila Davis Designs

It shouldn't be that hard to hold on to the bead...what kind of dremel bit are you using? I also HIGHLY recommend the BeaDreamers bit. I stuggled with cleaning my beads for a long time until I sprung for them. It's the best investment I've made!
I've also heard of putting Future floor wax inside the bead hole (if you can find it!) The trouble with the nail polish is it wears off, then you have a flakey mess.

Old 2011-10-21, 10:54am

my bit is a 3/32 diamond bit.

I checked out the BeaDreammers bit from the link above - it looks pretty awesome...I'll have to look into getting one.
Old 2011-10-21, 5:36pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Are you sure this is bead release? The glass in the hole is 'etched' after you remove the bead release, it will never look shiny unless you run some clear nail polish through it
yep, bead release unless its completely smooth leaves a rough surface on the bead hole - mary had this great idea of gently running your fingers over the coated mandrel to smooth it down, that works

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-10-21, 6:42pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yep, bead release unless its completely smooth leaves a rough surface on the bead hole - mary had this great idea of gently running your fingers over the coated mandrel to smooth it down, that works
Again, I'm going to brag on the KRAG...

You don't have to run fingers on mandrels to smooth out bumps if you use the KRAG Mudd bead release. This one is very very smooth, and to get the nice clean holes I have on my transparent beads, just a couple of seconds with the BeaDreamer gets them that way. I don't use polish in the holes and if I did, they would be even cleaner looking. I've used this bead release for making my BHBs and it is awesome!!!

Plus, when I've smoothed the bumps on mandrels dipped in other bead releases, it leaves little pits where the bumps were, so that is hardly smooth.
Old 2011-10-21, 10:34pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Again, I'm going to brag on the KRAG...

You don't have to run fingers on mandrels to smooth out bumps if you use the KRAG Mudd bead release. This one is very very smooth, and to get the nice clean holes I have on my transparent beads, just a couple of seconds with the BeaDreamer gets them that way. I don't use polish in the holes and if I did, they would be even cleaner looking. I've used this bead release for making my BHBs and it is awesome!!!

Plus, when I've smoothed the bumps on mandrels dipped in other bead releases, it leaves little pits where the bumps were, so that is hardly smooth.
I agree, I push mine through a piece of stocking to make it smoother

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-10-22, 12:08am
Gimme that silver glass!

I use this stuff: http://www.etsy.com/listing/80000158...=all&ga_facet=

And get clean holes like this:

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-10-22, 3:01am
one day at a time

That looks nice, but way too much work for me. I would rather start with good bead release that doesn't have to be scrubbed out in the first place. Just 2 seconds of a Dremel bit to get out the little bit of residue that's left, and that's it.

Besides, I have to clean hundreds of them a week sometimes! Today I will be doing that, and it's tons of fun I'm looking forward too. Which reminds me, I need to go charge my Dremel battery.
Old 2011-10-22, 5:55am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisue View Post
Jenn L'Rhe - I tried holding the "wet" bead to dremel the hole but couldn't keep a good grip and didn't want to dremel my hand. Hence the little clamp. It's an extra step, but I feel more at ease this way.

the first part you mention sounds pretty much what I'm doing.

thanks
this probably means your dremel speed is too high. Even with a small bead, a small piece of paper towel should be all you need if anything.

I wonder if that powder is like the stuff you make a grit out of and then use to smooth the edges of cut bottles and such.

Last edited by jaci; 2011-10-22 at 5:58am.
Old 2011-10-22, 6:04am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
It shouldn't be that hard to hold on to the bead...what kind of dremel bit are you using? I also HIGHLY recommend the BeaDreamers bit. I stuggled with cleaning my beads for a long time until I sprung for them. It's the best investment I've made!
I've also heard of putting Future floor wax inside the bead hole (if you can find it!) The trouble with the nail polish is it wears off, then you have a flakey mess.
Like Shelia said about the floor wax, you can also use jewelry's wax (can be found at home depot, comes in a round 6in stick push up pop stlye thing, usually) or something like a bees wax compound, like Bert's Bee's Wax Hand Salve or something. They smell nice this way too! I have used the bee's wax or hand salve on larger hole beads. Its nice, and wears off after a while, but so will basically everything else.

Can we get a picture of your beads that u are cleaning? Maybe we can pinpoint a solution for you.

Old 2011-10-24, 3:09am

For those of you who use the Art in the Round beadreamer and have had it last for a long time, what bead release do you use? My understanding was that if there is silica in the bead release the diamond bits grind right off

Old 2011-10-24, 9:01am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
For those of you who use the Art in the Round beadreamer and have had it last for a long time, what bead release do you use? My understanding was that if there is silica in the bead release the diamond bits grind right off
KRAG Mudd
Old 2011-10-24, 2:54pm
Glass-aholic

FF smooth n tuff and Sludge plus blue. (a jar of each for the 5 years ive been using it)

Old 2014-11-09, 12:44pm

Default I'm having the same troubles as Kwelna!!

Hey all ~ Newbie here..I've tried many solutions on getting that darn release out! Dremel, Baking Soda & vinegar, Soaking them over night!!
I use Fusion~which I luv~ but maybe it's not the right release for me??!!

Should i do this immediately~when beads are done after annealing and not a week or 2 later????!!!!

Thank you ~ Kim ))
Old 2014-11-09, 1:23pm
Loving learning

Kim, are you sure you aren't getting it out?
The glass itself will be frosty looking after you remove it. Try wetting the bead & then looking, and if it looks clear the release is out. (Easiest to see on a transparent bead)
Old 2014-11-10, 2:11am
Glass-aholic

I've been using fusion for a few months now (I won a bottle in the spring) I have not had any issues, it's pretty nice, and have not dremeled a bead at all recently. You may have to play with the consistency, make sure your bead release is smooth, hot and dry before applying glass to help as well. I've been using the fusion on 10x6 oval mandrels and all I do is run the bead up and down in some water for a bit (not long at all) then if I find a line still in there grab a diamond file and just graze it. Nothing too hard, it just comes right off. I've also used it for the back of cab's and I use a wire brush to scrape the back under a little running water. You would think it was marveled almost. It's smooth and very very clean.