Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-02, 2:03pm

Default encasing DH glass?

I need some help! I finally am getting nice results from some of the DH glass!
I use mainly echo, psyche and aurora .(SP?)
I encase these, using lausha clear, and about half at least develop cracks in the clear, sometimes even a week or so after. this is so frustrating, and I've had to stop a few auctions because of this; what are you using to encase with? any advice is most welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ebay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2010-10-02, 2:59pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Rachelle, I use Reichenbach 1012 clear with success on silverglass . It's a bit stiff, but it's a nice, crystal clear and the batches I've had have been very compatible with DH .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-10-02, 6:40pm
da General

I encase silver glass with Aether and occasionally the old batches of Diamond Clear (bought in 2008 ). Some of the more recent Diamond Clear (not sure about the newest batch tho) and some Lauscha Clear don't play nice with some silver glass. TAG Clarity is another good clear. I don't use Reichenbach 104 Crystal since I encase a lot and don't like stiff glass but if you are used to Lauscha, you will be fine with using Reichenbach!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2010-10-02 at 6:46pm.
Old 2010-10-02, 7:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

I've been using Reichenbach Crystal 1011 and Crystal Soft 1012 with good results. Also Aether (for florals) but not so much for silver glass unless I want it to go golden.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-02, 7:58pm
Entropy increasing....

I use both CIM and Effetre Super Clear and have had no problems.
Old 2010-10-02, 8:09pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I use both CIM and Effetre Super Clear and have had no problems.

Me too !!

Old 2010-10-02, 8:43pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Some of the more recent Diamond Clear (not sure about the newest batch tho) and some Lauscha Clear don't play nice with some silver glass.
The newest batch of DC has unfortunately the same issues.
It's not only NOT playing nicely with silver glass ... it's even cracking if I use it with just a very small amount of CIM/Effetre shards on top.

It's unusable, but the distributor told me that Precision is not taking it back (and the distributor obviously also not). So I'm stuck with another lb. of cracking clear. Yippeee as if I need more of those!

I just tried the Kugler 104 and that also works very well with silver glass, is very clear. A bit on the stiff side though.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-10-03, 12:28am
Catnip Pusher

Judith, where and when did you get the "bad" batch? I bought some at the beginning of June from Ron and it works fine.

Aimee
Old 2010-10-03, 2:41am

Thank you all for the comments! I can only get Lausha or the old scummy moretti here in israel. off to search the net!

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2010-10-03, 3:43am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Are you using lauscha "soft"? I use the reformulated for just that reason. The soft was cracking on me, sometimes days after and for no apparent reason. Lauscha likes to go into the kiln hot, even a bit glowing. I haven't had any cracking at all with the reformulated Good luck
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-10-03, 4:41am

I used to absolutely swear by DC....I can't anymore, unless there are a LOT more consistent batches out there! My last purchased batch of DC isn't much better than regular effetre clear. I've been using clarity (does ths come in larger diameter rods) and Aether.

Duane
PS should I be trying CIM clear/Lauscha/reich?

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-10-03, 8:40am
maybe tomorrow

I do a LOT of encasing, and I use several different clears, depending on what I'm doing, or if I want a color change. I have been using mainly Aether and Reichenbach 1011 (I had heard that the 1012 was bubbly, so haven't tried it), but I recently tried some of the Effetre New Clear #006, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Maybe I've just gotten used to it, but I don't find the Reichenbach too stiff to encase at all. I love that I usually get an assortment of rod sizes in each order, so I can pick and choose which rod size I want to work with.

I loved Diamond Clear when I had good batches. With the bad batches, I never had cracking problems with it, but I had scumming that made it virtually unusable. I'd love it if they could get their formula worked out.

I've never tried Lauscha because I use too much silver glass and had heard of the cracking problems with them. And I've just never gotten around to trying the CIM clear yet.

Last edited by Toni Lutman; 2010-10-03 at 8:43am.
Old 2010-10-04, 4:03pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Judith, where and when did you get the "bad" batch? I bought some at the beginning of June from Ron and it works fine.

Aimee
Aimee - this is the newest batch. Got it 3 weeks ago from ABR.
Wanna see some cracked glass? And that's just an example. I have heaps of it to show

Edited to add: That's a base of DC, thin layer of "Iron Mountain" shards on top. I talked with Purple Lily Designs to find out what glass she used, and this blend is all Moretti with silver leaf and foil. So I don't think the shards are to blame for that crack-fest.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2010-10-04 at 4:07pm.
Old 2010-10-04, 4:10pm
Bad Cat Glass

I have had such good luck with DC, but I haven't bought any in awhile. I am so glad to have this info as I was about to order some and might try CIM clear instead. Thanks for saving me some bucks!
Old 2010-10-04, 4:17pm

I've been encasing with some of the new batch that I purchased from Mountain Glass Arts and I have not experienced any problems. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 2010-10-04, 4:18pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I found this thread about CiM clear
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=CiM+clear
Form me, CiM is constantly scummy and murky. Maybe it's not everyone's experience, but I've been sticking to Lauscha reformulated. Still avoiding anything too "sticky" because I tend to be a "tugger" when I encase. Does anyone else have similar issues with CiM clear. i've got loads of the stuff I wont use on the good DH glass
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-10-04, 5:51pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Judith - I think it's real important for us to all know when good or bad batches come out, and who has them. Just because ABR has bad glass (and it obviously IS bad!) doesn't mean everyone has the same batch.

I know Double Helix now puts batch numbers (or dates) on all their glass, and I hope other manufacturers follow suit. It would make tracking any "issues" easier for everyone, and would make it easier to sell the known "good" batches!

Aimee
Old 2010-10-04, 6:07pm

I agree.... I have plenty of crap glass that does not work with anything.... I am so tired of it... I also wish vendors would post when there are reported problems so you do not spend a whole day getting ready for a big show and find a problem in the morning and the day before was shot...... and silver glass used with bad clear and all cracked....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Thanks Judith - I think it's real important for us to all know when good or bad batches come out, and who has them. Just because ABR has bad glass (and it obviously IS bad!) doesn't mean everyone has the same batch.

I know Double Helix now puts batch numbers (or dates) on all their glass, and I hope other manufacturers follow suit. It would make tracking any "issues" easier for everyone, and would make it easier to sell the known "good" batches!

Aimee

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-10-04, 11:12pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've been using my Lauscha clear that I bought a few years ago before the reformulated stuff came out. It works fine with all DH silver glass except Ekho. I love Aether, but I don't like that it turns all the DH silver glass to a greenish cast. I wish they would do something to fix that.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-10-04, 11:28pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Whichever vendor sold the glass to you should refund you for the full amount of Diamond Clear you purchased and then take it up with their supplier. That's just good customer service.

I bet the rest of the bad clear is still on their shelf waiting to be sold to the next unsuspecting lampworker. That really just really sucks. And it really sucks that your gorgeous beads cracked. I want to know who refused your return so I don't accidentally buy that batch, or unwittingly support a vendor that only cares about their immediate bottom line.

Old 2012-03-09, 9:39am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida

Does anyone have issues with zephyr?

If I encased thickly each one cracks, if its thin no cracking. Anyone else have this problem??

Micki
Old 2012-03-09, 10:31am
Storm Queen

I use Zephyr all the time and thickly encase a lot of bead with no issues. What are you encasing?

Old 2012-03-09, 3:41pm

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida

Mostly dh glass
Old 2012-03-10, 10:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
Are you using lauscha "soft"? I use the reformulated for just that reason. The soft was cracking on me, sometimes days after and for no apparent reason. Lauscha likes to go into the kiln hot, even a bit glowing. I haven't had any cracking at all with the reformulated Good luck
Cara
Same here.......no problems with Lauscha at all.
I use it for all my silver glasses.

Elke
Old 2012-03-10, 2:40pm

I also use Lauscha reformulated for everything & have had not problems so far with any silver glass.

Kerry