No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-04, 6:35pm
Melody of Glass

Smile Rod labelling solution

I think I may have found a good solution for labelling rods. I label my rods with Avery's return address labels 1.75' x 0.5". They stick to the rod well and wrap around a few times so they also stick to themselves. They are not particularly easy to take off and leave a residue that would require soaking if I wanted to use that bit.

Today, I found that size but they are removable. I bought a package of them and stuck one to a rod they way I'd normally label. It came off cleanly and easily. Granted, it was only on there for a few seconds but I'm hopeful that this might be the solution!

These are the ones:
http://www.staples.ca/en/Avery-6504-...0_2-CA_1_20001

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:43pm
Wyoming Silvers

Question ??

Can you post the number instead of the link? The link is not working for me. Thanks. Jill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-03-04, 6:48pm
Melody of Glass

That's odd. I just tried it and it works for me. I wonder if it's because it's a Staples Canada link? Anyway...here it is.

AveryŽ #6504, White Removable Laser/Inkjet I.D. Labels, 1 3/4" x 1/2", 800/Pack

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-04, 6:53pm
Senior Moment

I use the larger Avery labels, but it never occurred to me to look for removable ones! On my shopping list now.

And yeah. The site wants your zip code to "check availability". Prob why it doesn't connect to the page.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:53pm

I use the regular return labels from staples and they burn off nicely. The clear ones do not.
Old 2013-03-04, 6:55pm
Melody of Glass

I have tried burning them off with very little success. Smokey mess and still a sticky residue. I will try it again because all my current rods are labelled with the regular labels.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-04, 7:54pm
I like to melt things

My solution to the rod labelling problem is to not label my rods at all, apart from one rod per bundle. I hate the labels with an intensity that doesn't even feel all that sane.

I have to work with and store my glass pretty precisely to ensure that I don't end up with stuff mixed up, but it is totally worth it.

-
-
Old 2013-03-04, 8:14pm
Senior Moment

Yes, but you're also incredibly organized Melanie (I would NEVER be able to put together a website like yours LOL)! Me? If they aren't marked, I've no clue. I have a collection of rods from before I started tagging that I am at a loss to ID. Some were singles and never were marked to begin with, some slipped out of the bundle, etc.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-04, 8:33pm

Since I'm not the only one playing with my stuff I have to label all of the rods. I use a black or silver Sharpie marker and let the flame get rid of it when I get down that far on the rod. I would love to use the removable labels but that would be as safe as having Jack the Ripper as a medical consultant.

Andrea
Old 2013-03-04, 8:50pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Great idea!
I just ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Self-Adh...pr_product_top

Free shipping too, thanks to Prime membership.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-03-04, 9:30pm
Loving learning

I just use the reg adhesive, and when I get to where I'm going to use the rest in that melt, I use my knife to scrape the label off before I begin melting if I'm on the ball. I have also burned them off on occasion.
I have also used the sharpie method, but sometimes it wears off.
Old 2013-03-05, 12:03am
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Yes, but you're also incredibly organized Melanie (I would NEVER be able to put together a website like yours LOL)! Me? If they aren't marked, I've no clue. I have a collection of rods from before I started tagging that I am at a loss to ID. Some were singles and never were marked to begin with, some slipped out of the bundle, etc.

Alli
I am organized, it's true, but anyone can be organized if they put their mind to it.

If I had to label everything after unpacking it, all of my glass would still be in the boxes it came in! That would be sad for me

-
-
Old 2013-03-05, 12:16am
Lizard rescue squad

You might want to consider trying white vinyl electrical tape. It's what I use to wrap and label the bundles of silver glass cane I sell. It works great. It sticks well, you can write on it with a Sharpie, and it comes off clean and easily without leaving any residue.

It comes in several other colors as well. I find it easiest to just use the white and write on it, but if you use different families of glass, such as 90, 96, and/or 104, you could use a different color for each family so you can easily tell at a glance what type it is, then write the specific color on each one. For instance, use white for all your 104 glasses, yellow for 96, etc.

If you go this route, stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff at Walmart, etc. It is worth spending a little extra for the good stuff from 3M. The specific one I use is Scotch 35 White Vinyl Electrical Tape (catalog #10828 ). It's about $4 per 66 foot roll at Lowes and comes in a nice round plastic container that you can re-use for shards, frit, etc. 66 of tape feet will label a lot of cane.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-03-05 at 12:20am.
Old 2013-03-05, 12:36am
Salt Box Beads

Organized or not a half rod or 1/3 rod or 1/4 rod of unlabeled glass can get me in trouble really quick. I have over 5 different COES and labeling every rod has been a huge help for me.

I use avery labels from Staples, print them out, attach them to the very end of a rod and then put clear tape around them. It gets so hot here in the summer all of the labels dried out and popped right off.

Also in winter my studio shed gets really cold and again they came off. The tape has stopped that and know I know right down to the last half inch or so exactly what coe, color, month, date and place that rod was purchased from. I guess that is organized?

That way when or if I decide I don't want to keep a color or someone is looking for an exact batch color match to finish a project I can help and know for sure what I have. I always label at the dining table and watch a movie so it goes quickly and it's a job well done I think.
Old 2013-03-05, 12:53am
Melody of Glass

Electrical tape is a good idea too, Brad.

I tried the sharpie method but it rubs off on me. Must be the way I hold my rods or something.

Lorraine, wow! That's dedication. Two layers! I agree...love to have everything labelled. And I actually kind of enjoy the labelling. Some kind of nerd, I know I have preprinted sheets for white, black and clear. The rest I hand-write or print up a sheet if it's a lot of rods. I use a short form for the manufacturer, number, and colour. I do it in front of the tv too.

I just got a bunch of boro shorts to try out. My plan is to print the labels with just "boro" (since I don't know the colours) on yellow background so It is easy to identify COE at a glance. I figure if I venture from 104, I can run blank labels through thr printer to give them a unique background colour before labelling.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-05, 12:56am
Melody of Glass

By the way, it was a bit of a PITA to set up the template to print in Word. If anyone wants it, pm me your email address and I will send it along. I just do a search and replace for the number and colour for new labels.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-05, 7:04am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
By the way, it was a bit of a PITA to set up the template to print in Word. If anyone wants it, pm me your email address and I will send it along. I just do a search and replace for the number and colour for new labels.
There's already a template in Word. I've been using these for years. They work great when I'm hosting a bulk buy and have to label the rods. For myself, I've gone back to using silver sharpie. It's just much faster for me.

Old 2013-03-05, 10:00am
Wyoming Silvers

I love the electrical tape idea.. Different colors for different coe's.. Yes!!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-03-05, 11:17am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Electrical tape is a good idea too, Brad.

I tried the sharpie method but it rubs off on me. Must be the way I hold my rods or something.

Lorraine, wow! That's dedication. Two layers! I agree...love to have everything labelled. And I actually kind of enjoy the labelling. Some kind of nerd, I know I have preprinted sheets for white, black and clear. The rest I hand-write or print up a sheet if it's a lot of rods. I use a short form for the manufacturer, number, and colour. I do it in front of the tv too.

I just got a bunch of boro shorts to try out. My plan is to print the labels with just "boro" (since I don't know the colours) on yellow background so It is easy to identify COE at a glance. I figure if I venture from 104, I can run blank labels through thr printer to give them a unique background colour before labelling.
Oh dear! You've gone and done it now...Boro. You will love it and want more.

I didn't want to admit it but I too enjoy labeling my glass. As I look at the colors I get great ideas and make plans for that color.
Old 2013-03-05, 5:09pm
da General

Quote:
I have tried burning them off with very little success. Smokey mess and still a sticky residue. I will try it again because all my current rods are labelled with the regular labels.
Squirt a little Windex on the residue, wipe with a cotton towel, and it's all gone. I have used regular Avery labels for years. I also follow that with alcohol soaked paper towel.

I also set up the template so that it prints on both ends of each label and cut them in half unless the rods are 8mm or larger. Save on labels and easier to peel off too.

CiM labels are a whole different matter. HATE THEM! Soaking only works on some colors (usually the transparent and opal ones).

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-03-05, 5:44pm
Melody of Glass

I do use the Word template but to rotate the text to print vertically so it's just on the bottom edge of the label took some doing within that template.

Lorraine, I figured the shorts were a cheap way to give it a go but I may become addicted. Turned out to be less cheap than I thought when I remembered I'd also need new glasses!

I have tried windex and a towel. Sticky. Maybe I just give up too soon!

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-05, 6:03pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I do use the Word template but to rotate the text to print vertically so it's just on the bottom edge of the label took some doing within that template.

Lorraine, I figured the shorts were a cheap way to give it a go but I may become addicted. Turned out to be less cheap than I thought when I remembered I'd also need new glasses!

I have tried windex and a towel. Sticky. Maybe I just give up too soon!
Cheap way to play with boro without investing in expensive glasses right away:

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...roducts_id=302

Lighter fluid will get stubborn label goo off.

Old 2013-03-05, 6:05pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks Shawnette! I found those, put them in the cart and went to check out. My $25 clip-ons were $39.95 to ship!!! For $65, I figured I was close to a real pair.

I tried a few local places and then found out that my local lampwork supply store actually had them. No shipping.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-05, 6:41pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I just use the reg adhesive, and when I get to where I'm going to use the rest in that melt, I use my knife to scrape the label off before I begin melting if I'm on the ball. I have also burned them off on occasion.
Yep, usually a quick cut with a knife will do the trick. Thats what I do mostly
Burning works for me also.

Old 2013-03-06, 4:47am

I don't like labelling rods, so much work! I will admit that it helps, though. But I don't label the obvious stuff, like Effetre white or ivory or turquoise. I would only label them if I also had a different color that looked the same. If they look the same, then I will label one. For example, I do label Aurae, but not medium trans purple. I also label intense black, but not black. Saves a little time.

Old 2013-03-06, 10:38pm
I like to melt things

I confess, I don't understand the multiple COE thing at all. There is so much to explore and so many problems to be conquered with just one!

I can't imagine how you keep it all straight when you work with more than one. I think I am a 104 die-hard.

-
-
Old 2013-03-06, 11:39pm
Dakine glass man

Why don't color companies offer pre-printed labels. Give 10 stickers with each lb ........ Naaaaa that make too much sense

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-07, 10:18am

CiM labels are a whole different matter. HATE THEM! Soaking only works on some colors (usually the transparent and opal ones).[/quote]

I hate them too. they are so big and hard to remove. I mentioned that to Kathy in the very beginning.
Old 2013-03-07, 10:23am
Angel's Mom

I love labeling rods! If I'm having a bad day at the torch, it calms me down and makes mre feel like I got something done right that day. I may be part OCD.

I use an old P-Touch labeler with the M-series labels. I think they are about 1/4" wide. Black on white for Effetre, Blue on white for Vetrofond, Red on white for CIM and others, Black on gold for Bullseye, Black on Green for Boro.

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2013-03-07, 11:05am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieG View Post
I confess, I don't understand the multiple COE thing at all. There is so much to explore and so many problems to be conquered with just one!

I can't imagine how you keep it all straight when you work with more than one. I think I am a 104 die-hard.
Melanie, for me personally it is mostly about the colors, making frit blends with furnace glass and using the different coes and brands for different applications not just glass beads. So they all have their place in my studio where more than just beads are created..

My Gorilla shelving is divided into coe sections and I can hold pretty much all of my glass in one area. Boro is REALLY fun too. It is fun to have the different Coes.

Hopefully this explains why some of us like to complicate our lives...
Complicate means consisting of parts intricately combined, and describes my creative life perfectly.