Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-10, 6:05pm

Default I think I am afraid of my kiln!

Ok, maybe thats a bit of a overstatement but I am kinda scared of it. I just got a new Paragon Caldera and I have read and read about kilns, how to use them, how to anneal, how to load and I am now terrified of actually trying to use this silly item!

I mean I think I am intellegent and I read the manual so its no big deal...right? I mean I put kiln wash down, my hubby has the controller manual down pat its all good...right?

EEEK!!!

Kristy
Old 2005-06-10, 6:13pm
Broken

I was scared of mine too at first! I mean it so BIG! But I just ran a test cycle and I've never looked back. Just go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-10, 6:14pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Kristi,

Wish I could help. I don't have a kiln yet. But I'm sure someone will pop in and answer your question for you soon.

Welcome to our little club house!!

Denise

P.S. If you're too afraid of it... you could always send it to me.. lol
Old 2005-06-10, 6:14pm
Keep My Flame Burning

Kristy -

I felt the same way when I got my kiln. I was afraid I would burn the house down, but after the third time using it I was no longer afraid. I love my kiln and am so happy I have one.

I am on of those women who do not know how to fix anything. Never used tools in my life other than a hammer to put nail in the wall for pictures, so when I finally figured out my kiln and was able to lite my torch with out help from DH, I was very proud of myself.

Best of luck to you!

Juli

P.S. Welcome to Lampwork Etc.

Live everday like it is your last and regret is a word you will never use.
Old 2005-06-10, 6:36pm
looking for work

OK..confession time...

I had my kiln 3 weeks before I plugged it in and used it..

I was a little (lot) afraid of it...it gets hot..it is heavy...the instructions could have been in french for all I understoon programming the thing..and I am a handywoman..I have welded, used a lathe, a milling machine and made a gocart from scratch...
But let me tell you...

That baby rocks...I love him..The first time.....

Well, you never forget your first...and he heats up for me anytime I flip his switch...

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
James Thurber

Old 2005-06-10, 6:48pm
Pyro Pixie

*giggle*
i dont have my kiln yet either but i know i will be the same at first
the only kilns i have worked with before are ceramic ones and for the most part you leave those alone while they are hot! (well there is raku, but that's a whole nother topic )

be sure to report back to us after you have used it for a week, i'd like the update on how the reaserch differs from the reality

Gone to the Darkside

add yourself to the
Old 2005-06-10, 6:53pm
The Crazy One

Kristy, I think it's normal to be skared of the kiln when you first get it, I know I was. Mine is now my lover I don't know how I got through life without it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. While I don't have that make and model I'm sure someone here does.
Old 2005-06-10, 8:44pm
CA Queen Bitch

LOL!!! I started out making beads on Hubby's huge welding torch just to see if I'd like it, (silly) and I freaked out every time I lit that big Monster!! Now I just love fire. I did have a double whammy the other day though, a shard of hot glass landed on my face and when I scraped it off I cut my face!! Ouch!! A burn and a cut all in one. LOL!
Turn that baby on and make some beads!!!!!
By the way........ WELCOME to Lampwork ETC.!!!!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-06-10, 8:45pm
CA Queen Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco
Kristy, I think it's normal to be skared of the kiln when you first get it, I know I was. Mine is now my lover I don't know how I got through life without it.
You've really got a "hottie" huh Loco??? BWAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!!!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-06-10, 8:56pm

Default Kiln Attack - Torch Fears

Yes, I think we are all scared of the Kilns when they first arrive, but thats a good thing, if you do all you need to do at first to make sure it's in a proper place, a few feet from the walls and make sure there is nothing near it that is combustable and all things that could burn easily removed from the area your starting off safely and thats all a good sign of good habits for this type of equipment.

LOL, I Hate to admit this, But, I was afraid of the torch, I had a hot head for about 9 months and I was fine with that, The Noise is the scariest Part, I figured the Bigger the torch, the Louder the torch, But 6 months in my husband bought me a midrange, well, it was a counter top ornament for 3 months and I finally had him set it all up and all was well. He did a Great Job piping everything in safely for me, I feel secure now and wonder what was wrong with me then, I was perfectly content with the hot head "but" when I started using the new torch, WOW, No noise to my surprise, That was my favorite part of working on the new torch, I would stop melting glass because I was tired of hearing that noise from the Hot Head, Was I Surprized there was no more ear boggling noise. Now I Run a barracuda!!
Start Safe, Stay Safe!! Blessings, Monique

"Well Behaved Woman Rarely Make history"
Old 2005-06-11, 12:42am
Piscean Fire Goddess

Kilns... kilns... oh my...
I got mine, I don't remember if I was scared of it or not, I was certainly amazed at how much bigger it is in real life than on a picture. And I had been torching for nearly a year by then. I will admit I was worried about lighting my little HH the first time. I was scared I'd blow the house up, sometimes I'm still worried about that. But thats more because hubby jokes about it.

Welcome to Lampwork Etc!

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-11, 8:49am

Hi Kristy!

Yep I was scared of mine too - I've never been a "tool person" and all the torches and tanks had me wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into! It's all been smooth as silk though and I love it all now. You might want to do your first annealing during a day when you are around to keep an eye on it.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 2005-06-11, 10:07am

Default Update on Kiln use/adventure

Whew thanks for all the comments, glad I am not the only one!

Well I turned it on last night but just as things got going, wham, the darn power went out! Sheesh, by the time it came back on it was too late and I was too tired to make anything, but I feel better about it now, not so scary.

I still work with a HH. I am planning on moving up to either a Minor or a Bobcat but haven't decided which one to go with yet.

I will let you all know how it goes once I finally use the kiln all the way through!

Kristy

P.S.

Ouch, burn and cut....I feel for you. I am working all this out after having a root canal sooooo......
Old 2005-06-11, 12:19pm

Default kiln @ Torch

Yes I know what you are going through. I bought my first one. It was a hot box. Never did work right. It ramped up twice to two thousand degrees. That is hot. Yes I had my glass in it. All at the bottom of the box.
I bought one from Arrow Springs. Can't use it as we don't have enough amps for it. Darn. Want to,Want to. NOw I have a Chilli Pepper kiln. Works wonderful. The people in Florida helped me with the set up over the phone. They were great.
As to the torch. I used the HH to start with. Then bought a MInor burner. WOW Is all I can say. Quite and nice and hot. I love it. Hubby doesn't have any thing to do with it. He won't touch any thing to do with glass other than tosay are they marbles. Oh well.
Old 2005-06-11, 12:58pm
Princess of Pi

It took me awhile to use the kiln. I got it for Christmas. I think it arrived in January. Then my husband ran some wiring for it since it draws more amps than our circuits could handle. Then I got a stand for it and after that it still took me a few weeks to run it - but now I love it.

I'm like Monique about the torch too - I've been using a hothead and bought a Pirhana more than a month ago. I still don't have a propane tank. I'm a tad scared of hooking it all up - seems complex and potentially dangerous and I'm not sure my ventilation is good enough. But my husband is willing to help me - just have to ask him and get it going.
Old 2014-08-24, 9:25pm

Yes, terrified of mine too at first. I also have a Paragon and its very reliable. However, I leave the programming to my husband. I know I am lazy - one day I will get down to learning to put another programme in.