Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-28, 6:30am

Default What is this technique called:

It looks like pleats in a skirt. I don't have any examples off the top of my head but I've seen some beads where the technique is used. I've been calling it a pleated bead. Anyone know what it's called and how to do it? Hope I provided enough info for folks to know what I'm talking about.
Old 2013-08-28, 6:35am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Check out Michael Barley...his does baleen style and Hayley does an effect (dragon something)....you are right...does look like pleats in a skirt. There are lots,f tuts out there on the technique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-28, 6:39am

Are you talking about something like this that are encased? This is a bad example of what I think you're thinking of though, without the ribbs and the 'pleats' are more folded over each other.

You make the base, heat it a bit, run it over a ribbed tool to get the indents (or use a razor blade to cut them in but that's the long way to get it done), then as you're encase it the middle section will get a bit hot and drag the base around.

Hayley has some wonderful examples of this, don't know if that's how she gets the fold though.

-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-28, 7:13am
Lampworkaholic!

Do a search for "pleated beads" - there are many techniques for this type of effect.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-08-28, 2:39pm
sunscreen me baby

If you want the pleat on the inside of encasing I use an aluminum ridged thingy I got with my start up kit. I just roll the bead over it. I'm sure you could just create creases in your bead with a butter knife too.

~

Old 2013-08-29, 4:23am
Queen Bee

I use a brass tool that is sharply ridged that will make that affect, similar to Suzy's tool - you just roll the bead over it. Or, an exacto knife works great too - just cut pleats all the way around and encase. I use a straight razor tool from Arrow Springs: http://arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-08-29, 5:58am

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses. I think it is technically called a "baleen" technique. It looks so awesome. Donna you're right, it is more "folded over". I think it really adds style to a bead.
Old 2013-08-29, 6:04am
sunscreen me baby

Aha, the baleen technique is when you make a base of one color, wrap clear around it leaving spaces between the stringer and then encase. The color ooozes out between the cracks.

Here is a link to the aluminum marver I use. http://www.artcoinc.com/marvers.php

Or you can get a nifty graphite one from Donna http://cgbeads.com/beads_misc.html

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2013-08-29 at 6:08am.
Old 2013-08-29, 6:05am

It doesn't take much practice to know how hot/cool the base bead need to be to drag and not distort.

FYI, If you prefer graphite, I also make/sell a ribbed tool. Bottom of this page.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-29, 6:17am

Duh! I feel like such an idiot. I have the alum marver. I guess that's part of the learning process is knowing what tool to use for what job. I like the cg marver in that it's slanted. At least it looks slanted in the picture.
Old 2013-08-29, 6:28am
sunscreen me baby

Don't feel like an idiot. That's why we are here. Because we all can't just look at something and know how to do it. I sure don't.

~

Old 2013-08-29, 6:28am

No, not slanted, just the angle of the camera so you can see the ribs.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-08-29, 10:29am
novembersfyre everywhere

Michael Barley was one of the originators of the Baleen technique. He named it in any event. I learned it from him directly when I took a class from him.
He now sells a PDF tutorial also:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1022266...op_home_active

Old 2013-08-29, 10:38am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Aha, the baleen technique is when you make a base of one color, wrap clear around it leaving spaces between the stringer and then encase. The color ooozes out between the cracks.
Baleen is the one Michael Barley does - Mary Beth has posted the link to his tutorial.

The one you described is sometimes called Tornado technique and Margaret Zinser calls it "Twisty" in her free tutorial:
http://www.mzglass.com/tutorials

Mine is what Donna described except I developed a trick to use it with silver glass as not to lose all the reducing effects. I teach that in one of my advanced classes.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-08-29, 11:53am
sunscreen me baby

Ah, sorry, I got it confused.

~

Old 2013-08-29, 1:52pm

Do you mean the pleated effect under encasing that looks like white/coloured pleated fabric?

To do that one you make a ribbon twistie from a paddle of white topped with a paddle of transparent colour and a paddle of clear either side.
Pull it into a thick tightly twisted twistie.

Then you apply the twistie around a small base bead, top it with a thick wrap of clear and stretch it down to the holes.

It takes the twistie with it and gives you a pleated effect.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2013-08-29, 1:58pm

Heres a whole thread about it.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=pleated+beads

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2013-08-30, 6:20am

Wow, you guys are a wealth of resources. I'm going to play around with it today. It's been so HOT I haven't been able to work in my studio. This is my first summer torching. I also had setback with broken arm a few months ago. Thanks again everybody.

Tags
pleat, tornado