The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-23, 6:10am
Glass-aholic

Great job Shawn! Thanks!

Just a tip to add:

I always have a paint brush when I press beads. Something like a 1-2 inch painters brush. This way when I get little bits of broken bead release I can brush it out between pressing. There is nothing worse than not seeing the bits and having it get caught in your pretty bead when you were so close to being finished!

When I work raku or some silver striking glass, I put my press on an ice pack (with flat sides). Keeps it cold, and gives the striking colors that extra fast cool to get great colors.
I also use this if I am pressing a lot of beads in a row. Those heat up pretty well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-23, 6:15am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDesigns View Post
This could be a few things. If the bead release is cracking under the glass then you are pressing too hard. Get the bead a little hotter and press a little gentler.

If it is the bead release on the sides of the bead, it could be your brand of bead release. I have a terrible time with foster fire doing this with presses. Instead I use sludge plus. It's pretty sturdy.

Or as some one else already mentioned, you could be using a mandrel that is too big for the press.
Your mandrels may need to be cleaned too. Use a Brillo pad or a steel scuzzy scorring pad thing and ruff them up a bit and use a drop of dish soap to get and oil residue off. I second sludge plus, or blue sludge. Awesome bead release.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-29, 12:04pm

Thumbs up

Thank you Shawn T!!

Thought I would bump this great tutorial.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-08-29, 5:15pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDesigns View Post
This could be a few things. If the bead release is cracking under the glass then you are pressing too hard. Get the bead a little hotter and press a little gentler.

If it is the bead release on the sides of the bead, it could be your brand of bead release. I have a terrible time with foster fire doing this with presses. Instead I use sludge plus. It's pretty sturdy.

Or as some one else already mentioned, you could be using a mandrel that is too big for the press.
Me too, sludge plus bead release for pressed beads.

I always use 3/32 mandrels with Zoozii's presses. I figured out it wasn't the size of the mandrels for me, it was the application of bead release.

Now after I dip my mandrels I hole them upright after dipping and tap the bottom on the counter to force any excess to run down the mandrel.

As a newbie I used to think that as long as release was on the mandrel and smooth I was set but you *can* get too thick an application. When I have issues with my release cracking in the press bead release too thickly applied is usually the culprit.

Thank you Shawn! Wonderful tut and a great refresher for me, I appreciate it!

Old 2013-08-29, 5:42pm
Slogan Challenged...

You know, the question I have found with pressed beads is timing of decorations.

If you add dots beforehand, they always distort when you press. Also, the colors may start to bleed or pit from the prolonged heating required to shape.

If you add after you press, melting them can the bead a little wonky and you risk smearing. It is hard to get a totally flat surface.

I know it is timing and heat control, as well as the particulars of the colors. But, are there some good rules of thumb to follow?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-08-29, 6:49pm

It's great that this post was brought forward. Very informative. Thank you to everyone passing on this info. Don't know what made me think I could only try one or two times to 'get it right'. My bead would be way too big by the time I finished adding the decoration. Lots of helpful suggestions.
Old 2013-08-30, 2:06pm

Anyone have any helpful hints for using a square/pillow press? I'm pretty good with the lentil shape but cannot seem to fill the square shape properly.

Love all the help we can find on LE!

--Helene
Old 2014-09-24, 9:18am
Slogan Challenged...

bumping this, thanks Shawn!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-24, 4:34pm
I'm meeeeelting

May I add a tip for getting the bead to press evenly? For both sides to be even, you need the same amount of glass on both sides of the mandrel. Not so for the glass on the top and bottom of the mandrel. They'll press out evenly even if top has more glass than bottom or the reverse. Before putting the glass into the press, rest the tip on the edge of your work table and let the other end of the mandrel rest upon your hand. The heavy side will roll to the bottom. Now mark your mandrel so you know which side is the top (I put a scratch into the bottom edge of the bead release with my knife tool). Now heat the glass and press it.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves: