Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-26, 7:24pm

Default paragon bluebird xl

I am new to beadmaking and looking for an annealing kiln. Can anyone tell me how long the bluebird xl kiln takes to get to annealing temperature? And I know there will be many opinions, but, is this a good kiln for the money...I can get it for $750 delivered. thanks
Old 2009-01-26, 7:39pm
In search of her path....

Heres a cheaper place....
http://www.clay-king.com/itempbluebird.htm
This company has been around for quite a while. I was actually looking at this kiln myself but I want something a lil more portable/movable....

for price though I would really look at glasshive kilns. Mike Crowley makes them and he is a member here and his quality is excellent and he has many options for sizes etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2009-01-26, 8:12pm
Sharon

Just got a Bluebird XL thru Clay King and LOVE IT!!

I will time tonite how long it takes to get to 950 (garaging temp) and let you know

It shouldn't be long tho...since the segment is programed at "full" which is 1800/hr....that should bring it to the garaging temp in 1/2 an hour...theoretically.
Old 2009-01-27, 12:38am

I've been using the Bluebird XL for about a year now, it heats up very quickly. I turn mine on in the morning, by the time I'm showered and dressed its usually ready to go

#D45

Old 2009-01-27, 1:23am

I've got the Bluebird as well and it takes about 10 Minutes to heat up to garage temperature.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2009-01-27, 1:57am
Formerly known as LT

Originally posted by If-Designs
Quote:
Heres a cheaper place....
http://www.clay-king.com/itempbluebird.htm
That link is for the original bluebird not the XL version. Here is a link for the XL http://www.clay-king.com/paragon_bluebird_xl.html
The main difference between the two is that the XL has brick the original doesn't. I can't find any other differences. If someone knows please speak up. The specks say they are the same size, but I thought the XL had a bit more room.

I have a paragon F-120 and sometimes wish I had more length rather than depth on my kiln. I personally think the Bluebird XL at 750.00 delivered is a good deal. If I could do it over I would have purchased the BB XL instead, but they didn't have the brick version back then.

Last edited by Feldt's Glass; 2009-01-27 at 2:01am.
Old 2009-01-27, 5:10am

Londa, the XL is 4 inches high inside instead of 2 inches. I love mine. It's the kind of controller I'm used to.

Old 2009-01-27, 6:44am
old person/new member

I think the xl fires higher too. I haven't tried yet- but I know you can fire metal clay at 1200 or more in it.

Old 2009-01-27, 7:16am

Smile Love Mine!

I love my kiln- it does have the firebrick, so it should be kiln washed before you use it. Mine heats up in about 15-20 minutes, but I don't remember what I have it set on, you can set it to ramp up faster than that. It is pretty easy to program, and has (I think) 5 different programs you can preset and then use when you need it.

I use it for beads usually, but have also done PMC and slumping in it.

I bought mine from Clay King, and it was a smooth/quick transaction, if you have any questions, email them and they will get right back with you.

Laura

Old 2009-01-27, 9:42am

I second the Clay King recommendation for a good price. We bought our first Bluebird (regular fiber kiln) from them and it was great. We picked our Bluebird XL up at the factory in Dallas from the scratch and dent department for about half price. You can also order from Clay King and pick up at the factory to save shipping costs. This can be a big savings on the larger kilns.

The big difference between the regular Bluebird and the XL model is that the XL is fire brick as mentioned so it can go to higher temps. You can do some fusing and PMC in it with no problems. It also doesn't loose as much heat when you open the doors because of the brick retaining heat better.

I also like that it has full size doors. The chamber is the about the same height in both at around 4 inches, but the regular Bluebird only has 2 1/2 inch doors. I can do smallish sculpture in the XL much easier. I think the XL is a bit deeper as well, but not much.

Both kilns get up to garaging temp in 15 minutes or so.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.

Last edited by Paul Ewing; 2009-01-27 at 9:44am.
Old 2009-01-27, 11:59am
Formerly known as LT

Thanks you guys! I knew there was more of a difference.

Old 2009-01-28, 2:30pm

thanks for all the information, what a great forum!!! Will go to get an annealer as soon as some of this Indiana snow goes away!!! Thanks to all.
Old 2009-01-29, 4:36pm

Thanks again for all the information. Can anyone tell me where to get one from someone who actually has them...Clay King, and ABR the company that told me they had them now all say they will be shipped from paragon in Texas, and who know how long it will be before they will even be shipped. Seems no one stocks anything anymore. All I get is "we can order it for you" I am new to this hobby...is everything like that...It is so frustrating!!
Old 2009-01-29, 6:38pm

Actually many of the larger kilns are shipped from the factory. This is because kilns are heavy and stocking them at the distributor would add extra shipping charges so they only stock kilns that they expect could sell locally or are lighter like the fiber kilns. I would call Paragon and see if they have any available and ready to ship. The contact your retailer of choice and have them place the order.

When I asked Paragon said they try to get most kilns out in under a month even if they have to make them. They have a large factory with many people making different kilns at the same time unlike some other companies that make them in runs.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-01-30, 12:50pm

This information has been helpful to me also as this is the kiln I have been looking at.

Debbie
Old 2009-06-10, 12:28pm

Anyone have a paragon shipped to Canada?

Old 2009-06-10, 1:42pm
liquidphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBYCINDY View Post
Anyone have a paragon shipped to Canada?
I shipped one from winship to canada

Old 2009-06-10, 3:07pm
Formerly FishBulb

Cindy, there are glass studios in Calgary that use the Paragon Bluebird XL. ^SaylesJodi^ is probably one of them.

The glass studio where I've been beading has one and it's just great. I like the fact that it's all firebrick. It holds its heat really well, is deep enough to stick the mandrels in and have the door close all the way, and you can also fuse with it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-06-11, 9:10am
liquidphoenix

i do use a paragon bluebird xl, its great. Great except for it randomly broke last week. But it is fixable. Glad i have a back up kiln. Just no tall glass items allowed please. this is the kiln i shipped from winship. I wanted to buy it straight from paragon but they would not ship to canada they could not be held responsible for the shipping cost if i did not accept the delivery???
Jodi

Old 2016-06-30, 12:09pm

Default Paragon bluebird xl or f120

I am a new lampworker and will start making pendants and pipes. Should I get the Paragon SC3-BD, Bluebird XL, or F120?

http://www.paragonweb.com/SC3-BD.cfm
http://www.paragonweb.com/BlueBird_XL.cfm
http://www.paragonweb.com/F120.cfm
Old 2016-06-30, 2:30pm

I've had the XL for over 5 years now and it's the best, all the other kilns are just too small if you make a lot of beads, I have thin bricks at the back with plenty of small holes in them so I can have 3 layers of beads.

Magma Beads .

Old 2016-06-30, 3:53pm

The xl is a great kiln, but the doors are not tall. If you want to make big stuff, you might like the guilliotine door on the F120 better. But if you want to make small stuff the xl is good.