LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-09-12, 5:46am
<--Want a Kiss

I have the blue cubby unit that Gail has with the square plastic inserts. Was just telling DH yesterday that I need more storage space. I like Shawnette's idea and it looks like our Lowes has the fencing. Here's a pic of my blue unit (I stood mine up on it's end.) I thought I had a closer view, but can't find it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mini cc w/EX-15 oxycon
Old 2005-09-12, 8:00am
MomOnAMission

Try your local fencing places before you go to Lowes or anyother major store. I went to the local fence place and went thru their scraps and paid $5 for 4 10ft sections! It's worth a shot if you ask me
Old 2005-09-12, 9:45am
JOAT, Master of None

Debbie... I wish you were closer,,, I would love one of those tables. Why can't people give stuff away up here. LOL
Love your workspace. I wish my hubby was as willing to help me set-up my workspace as you are!
Old 2005-09-12, 12:37pm

I changed fom the pvc to the clear plastic tubing that goes over floresant bulbs in industrial area's. I got it at a restaurant supply store dirt cheap, and it cut with sissors. You should be able to get it at any lumber yard. It is smaller then most pvc, holds 2 lbs exactly, and you can pack alot of glass into a small spaces as the outer tube is thin. I have my glass on a shelf betweenttwo torches, and each tube is labeled with name and order #. and I can look up and through the tubes see all the colors and #. Also, I HAVE A TON OF FREE PVC, MUST PICK UP, IT'S ALL SIZES AND CUT FOR GLASS. PM ME IF INTERESETED.
Attached Images

Last edited by beachbeads; 2005-09-12 at 2:04pm.
Old 2005-09-12, 3:55pm
IMAHO

I love all these great storage solutions, especially since I really need some as my collection grows. I have the PVC rails with ribs for my dressage arena, and since at least one 10' piece is broken, I can cut it up to experiment. But it seems pretty small, a 2x6 divided into 3 small squares. I have fairly large hands and wonder if it would be troublesome for me. Almost seems like I need a whole 4x4 space so I can get my whole hand in.

So in thinking about that, how do you store your shorts- back in with the long rods or someplace else? Do you label each rod, or wing it? I like the way some of you have labelled the cubbies- I think it is important for the clears, whites and really dark ones.
Old 2005-09-13, 3:18am
what's a senior moment ?

Julz -
My pvc tubes are 3" in diameter and hold a minimum of 4 lbs. of glass. I don't know if my hand fits in there but I can get several fingers in there. lol ! I got the cheap sewer pvc tubes at Lowes. The regular pvc (for household plumbing, etc) was twice the cost of the sewer pvc. Both were 10 feet long but the sewer tubes are not as thick at the plumbing pvc but for this use it doesn't matter. Still works great !
If the shorts are more than 5 inches long, I just have them in the tubes. When they reach less than that, they're in a cool whip bowl ! lol ! Nice thing about my set up, if I want to, I can move the tubes around. They aren't attached to each other or anything else.
Oh, and my tubes are labeled now. If you look at my picture again, you'll see a strip of cardboard just underneath and in front of each shelf. I wrote the color names on that. Top part of cardboard for glass on top part of that shelf and bottom part of cardboard for tubes on bottom part of that shelf. And each label is just a peel off type label so they can be changed if needed. Whew ! lol !
Hope this helps.
Debbie A.
Old 2005-09-13, 4:51am

We built a holder of wood and use the pvc gutter pipe as dividers. Right now I need to add more storage as well but every time I add more cubby holes I then go out and buy more glass and run out of room.

Barb
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-13, 1:21pm
Wild at Heart!

I've posted this before, but here is mine.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

??
Old 2005-09-13, 2:09pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Barb,

You could add diagonal dividers in your existing tubes and DOUBLE your existing storage.

Bill

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-09-13, 4:31pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpot
I have the blue cubby unit that Gail has with the square plastic inserts. Was just telling DH yesterday that I need more storage space. I like Shawnette's idea and it looks like our Lowes has the fencing. Here's a pic of my blue unit (I stood mine up on it's end.) I thought I had a closer view, but can't find it.

Oooh, good idea putting on it's end!!

Another thing I saw was a very sturdy wine rack at Costco...I'm thinking that might be a good way to store my GG Glass rods (right now they are packed into 4" cardboard tubes, standing up, and annoying me!!! Unlike my working glass, where I want each color in small-ish compartments, I need the GG Glass in bigger ones, but readily identifiable. Hmmmm...Maybe I just need another blue cubbby with no dividers. Duh!--Gail

Old 2005-09-14, 6:52am

Bill - you are right - and it's such a simple easy solution. Thanks - this weekend I will be dividing my storage units. I think I have enough thin wood in the shop to make little dividers.

Barb
Old 2005-09-23, 9:39pm
*glass spaz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb
We built a holder of wood and use the pvc gutter pipe as dividers. Right now I need to add more storage as well but every time I add more cubby holes I then go out and buy more glass and run out of room.

Barb

Barb, that is ONE perfectly happily situated work area. I love it!
I'd take a clone of your space in a heartbeat!
Old 2005-09-24, 6:29pm
the 2 Michelle's

Just wanted to post mine, it is a mix of peoples ideas.

And thanks Shawnette for the picture of railing.....I had read about it, but couldn't find it until your picture.

You guys rock!!!

My cabinet is an old highboy from a second hand shop.
Michele

hmmm the crap you can't read is....pirahna in the box, boro bottom right, $$odds I don't like above the boro, caliente on the same self as the odds, and reactives above those.

Michele

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

Last edited by Dragonfire; 2005-09-24 at 6:31pm.
Old 2005-09-24, 7:09pm
Life in the slow lane

I purchased baskets made with wire and 1"x1" openings. Each basket will hold over 90 different rods of color. I'll try to find a photo and post it here.

Old 2005-09-24, 9:32pm

Storage in my studio:
Frits and small items in the red cabinet
Glass in the tubes, (i've added LOTS more tubes since this pic)
Presses on the rack. Yes my studuio is ALWAYS this neat. I can't work if it's messy. However, you should SEE my desk! (well SOMEONE should, I can't see it for all the paperwork) LOL
Lyn

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2005-09-24 at 9:35pm.
Old 2005-09-25, 6:55am
In spite of it all!

So many really good storage ideas! Shawnette... I gotta tell ya gal, I like that idea for lots less dust on the rods! I was considering a rolling tool chest for my glass but will have to do it this way for a while. Still gettin my studio ready for the classes I am going to be teaching in sculpting and painting.

Anyway.... here is mine.... downspouts and wood... all tucked into a 14x22 inch space. Probably cost about $45.00 total with hardware, glue and.....

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2005-09-25, 8:38am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Default Storage

I've got a wonderful studio set up. I have a full kitchen worth of cabinets and store all my glass in the double door lower cabinets - using PVC pipe for the containers.

My studio is the size/shape of a galley way kitchen - 10X16 - bench and cabinetry with annealer on one side and cabinets (upper & lower) for glass storage and findings along with sink on the other side.

Old 2005-10-04, 7:34pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
It's the vinyl rail, not the actual fence:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...01S&lpage=none

They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes.

end view _____________________________________________side view

(This is obviously a scrap piece)
Hi Shawnette, I can't find this stuff out here in Cali for the life of me.They only have the 1and 3/4" by 5 and1/4" material. That feels a little small to get ones fingers in and out easily. I called their customer service people(Lowes) and told them it was found at your store in Altamont Springs. She's gonna research it and get a product # so we can all get it if possible. When I get the info I'll post it.Thanks for the great pic. It helped me wait for what I really want to spend the $ on.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2005-10-05, 10:09am
Just me

I went to Home Depot and found the vinyl fence rails. In our area, it cost $16.89 for a 16ft length and we'd have to cut it in the parking lot (they won't cut plastic for you) just to get it to fit in our full sized chevy blazer and get it home. It would cost about $80.00 to get as many pieces as I need.

So I did some calling around to fencing places, just to see if I could get scrap pieces. I found a place that will sell me 3ft pieces for $1.25 each and we can fit them in our vehicle! In addition they'd said they could cut and clean it for me for a little more. I didn't even ask how much because we can do that ourselves. So I'm getting 75 feet of 2X6 vinyl fence rail for $31.25. Saved some cashola thanks to this thread.

I'll post a pic of my storage when I get it done in the next few days.

Thanks for this thread and the people who shared their info, it's been extremely helpful.

P.S. I'm also thinking of making a storage thingie like the one in this thread for my work table. It's the 4th post down by Flaming Idiot. Pretty smart!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...&page=17&pp=15

Now if I could find a sensible way to store my stringer I'll be set!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-10-05 at 10:39am.
Old 2005-10-05, 12:12pm

Here is a picture of my studio. Everything was all cleaned up when I took the pictures. You should see it now, Yikes! My hubby put the racks together for me. It's made from PVC pipes and shoe racks from our local home improvement store. Everything is within arms reach. It's great!
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-05, 12:26pm

AWESOME Krissy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissybeads
Here is a picture of my studio. Everything was all cleaned up when I took the pictures. You should see it now, Yikes! My hubby put the racks together for me. It's made from PVC pipes and shoe racks from our local home improvement store. Everything is within arms reach. It's great!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-10-05, 1:07pm

Thanks! The best part is, I don't even have to get up...LOL
Old 2005-10-05, 2:47pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana
Hi Shawnette, I can't find this stuff out here in Cali for the life of me.They only have the 1and 3/4" by 5 and1/4" material. That feels a little small to get ones fingers in and out easily. I called their customer service people(Lowes) and told them it was found at your store in Altamont Springs. She's gonna research it and get a product # so we can all get it if possible. When I get the info I'll post it.Thanks for the great pic. It helped me wait for what I really want to spend the $ on.
I just measured mine and the stuff you found is the same size. It's just listed as 2x6. (Lowes Item #: 87348 Model: 61401S)

Old 2005-10-05, 4:23pm
><>

got it ,Thanks
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2005-10-10, 10:23am

Default storage for frit

My storage for my glass rods doesn't look much different from most people's here, but I discovered a great way to store frit last weekend! I was at Linens N' Things and discovered they have magnetic spice racks. The containers are metal, with a clear lid so you can see the contents, with a large magnet on the bottom. You can buy the rack and 12 containers for around $40 (the rack is somewhat sub-divided, so 12 is all that will fit on it), but since you can buy the containers seperately I bought 12 for $2 a piece and a set of 3 cookie sheets for $9. The magnetic containers stick to the cookie sheet like a dream, and the magnets are even strong enough that I can put at least 4 oz (that's how much I have of each of my frits) into each container and they will still stay in place even if you hang the sheets vertically! I can fit probably about 20 canisters on the large cookie sheet. I figure even if I don't want to hang the cookie sheets (although they have a hole at the top so they can be hung) I can still keep all my frit nice and tidy and can stack the trays as I get more, then pull them out as needed without fear of spilling them everywhere. Someday I'll actually post some pictures

Blair
Old 2005-10-11, 11:23am
JOAT, Master of None

Blair that's cool!!! Very innovative!
Old 2005-10-16, 9:49pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Have I shown this already?

These are Craftsman rolling drawer cabinets. There are a few more drawers filled to the brim with glass but if I try to open them all to take a picture, I think it would topple over.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2005-10-17, 6:00am

Hey I've shown this a couple of times in other places ... but it seems appropriate for this thread too... Hope I'm not boring peopld... It just works so darn well!!!

My workspace is a standard workbench that you can buy from Lowes or Menards or something ... I use the drawer to store all of my frits and silver type stuff.

The cool thing is that I don't have to decide exactly what frit I want to use before I start the bead ... the muses can call to me for anything!
I am using blank CD tins that you can get several places

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7g.html

With the drawer closed

With the drawer open

A close up of the tins labeled (both inside and out, so I can see what I am using)

I also have some little beads that are in there to help remind me of what the frit looks like in action

Here is how it looks when you are rolling a bead (you may see a spoon in some of these pictures ... I use it to "place" how much frit my bead hits)

And I also have room for other stuff

You are not seeing very many frits in there because I kind of cleaned up for the pictures, usually there are about 12 or 15 "favorite" frits out and then stacks of tins over on the side where the shards live...

PS definitely buy those tins in bulk ... they are expensive when they are part of the wedding favor kit I originally found them in ...although not a bad way to find out if they would work for you

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. That's why there's us. -- Champions --
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference.
We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Words of Truth from Angel
Old 2005-10-17, 8:00am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne - GOC
...The cool thing is that I don't have to decide exactly what frit I want to use before I start the bead ... the muses can call to me for anything!
I am using blank CD tins that you can get several places

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7g.html

The link didn't work. Here it is:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/SearchIndexMetal.html

They also come in square. Hmmmm...

Old 2005-10-19, 10:45am
Floral Obsessed

For stringer storage I use these great 6" clear pastic containers from Lee Valley Tools.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...73&cat=1,43326

I don't use the lids much, I just pack a lower plastic container with the little tubes so that they stand upright. Then I can sort by stringer colour - warm trans, cool trans, warm opaque, cool opaque, opaque neutrals, white and clear, twisties, encased stringers, mixed stringers, stringers pulled from furnace glass, goldstone stringers... It would work better if I eventually set it into layers so the centre is higher. And put it onto a little lazy-susan...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50,43298,43316

-Heather

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2005-10-19 at 11:18am.