Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Etsy or Artfire: which do you prefer?
Etsy 19 48.72%
Artfire 10 25.64%
Neither 5 12.82%
Other 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-18, 4:33pm

Default Artfire or Etsy... which do you prefer?

I'm starting up my lampworking business, and will hopefully have EVERYTHING finished within a week. Im trying to decide which of the links i should put on my site, more or less which one i should primarily use. I could do both, and i might but im thinking it could get confusing.

well, which do you prefer to use as a buyer and/or a seller?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

N.M. Knight Bullet on tanked oxygen
Old 2009-01-18, 11:11pm

I voted for Etsy and not Artfire because for the last 2 days, I have not been able to access Artfire's site. I'm not the only one who can't, and I have no clue why this problem exists, but it leaves me less than impressed.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2009-01-18, 11:11pm
Entropy increasing....

Etsy is much better traveled.
Old 2009-01-18, 11:34pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I vote etsy now but in a year or two when artfire has built up its web traffic and if they keep their same pricing structure, I would vote for Artfire. Their listing page is so much faster, I like their management system, and they have a lot better customer service..
Old 2009-01-19, 5:35am

I have not been able to get into Artfire either. I wanted to check it out and it kicks me off. I was actually there for a second and when I clicked on something it redirected me and now can't get there. It appears they need to work out some of the kinks. How long has it been around?

H37
Old 2009-01-19, 6:00am
ManBearPig

I vote Etsy. I have only heard of ArtFire once before, and I don't know anyone who uses it.

Old 2009-01-21, 7:29pm
Entropy increasing....

I can't figure out how to leave feedback for the buyer on Art Fire. I sold a tutorial there. My first sale!!

However, just check out my sales on Etsy - I just made my 1,000th sale!!!
Old 2009-01-22, 7:06am
Cherine Perrin Glass

I voted for Etsy too. I have shops on both Etsy and Artfire but, have yet to sell anything on Artfire.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-01-22, 6:58pm
birdergirl ~o~

I like the Etsy clean interface look much better than AF which looks very 40's to me.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-01-24, 7:57am
Lover of all things color

Have any of you tried 1000 Markets? Really nice site, easy to navagate and you don't pay anything until you sell. 5.5%+$.50 The payments are through Amazon Payments system. I just opened a shop there to see what the traffic is like.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-01-24, 11:49am

i use etsy, never heard of the other one, does anyone like it??

Old 2009-01-24, 11:57am
Satake Woman!

I just got my artfire account a few days ago, but I'm already loving the customer service. I sent an email asking a question, and within 2 hours I had an actual helpful answer from a polite live person!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2009-01-24, 12:10pm

hmm that's a huge plus!! anyone else??

Old 2009-01-25, 6:37am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Right now on 1000markets, only finished pieces are allowed - no loose beads.

Back to the original question: I like the idea of ArtFire better (flat rate listing pricing), but I'm doing far better on Etsy.

--
--
--

Old 2009-01-25, 5:18pm

I was wondering about the buyer traffic on Artfire. You have to be a member to purchase -- Correct?
The flat rate seemed so reasonable at Artfire but do buyers really want to pay monthly $7 to just purchase?
There is some very nice work there but I'm weighing both etsy & artfire too.
Hopefully our website will be up & running in a week or so.
Bette
Old 2009-01-25, 7:57pm

Artfire is still in Beta, so once in a while there are issues. They seem to have a good team working on things quickly, though.

I love how easy the listing is (just one page, you don't have to click through 5 pages.. then go back b/c you forgot something like Etsy), and I LOVE that it is a monthly fee rather than the fee/percentage per item that you pay on Etsy. I'm paying $7/month on Artfire for all of my listings (whether they sell or not), and last month I paid over $60 to Etsy. You can upload more photos on AF, and the category structure is much better than Etsy's "tag" system.

The downside - and the reason that I still list on Etsy - is the fact that it is new and doesn't have the huge customer base that Etsy has. I'm planning to use both for a while, until my sales from AF significantly surpasses my Etsy sales. I really hope that it catches on soon.

Old 2009-01-25, 8:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclampwork View Post
I was wondering about the buyer traffic on Artfire. You have to be a member to purchase -- Correct?
The flat rate seemed so reasonable at Artfire but do buyers really want to pay monthly $7 to just purchase?
There is some very nice work there but I'm weighing both etsy & artfire too.
Hopefully our website will be up & running in a week or so.
Bette

Buyers don't have to pay the monthly fee. That is just for a verified account for sellers.

And I just found traffic info. Yes it is new, and is still growing, but I think the future looks bright for ArtFire:

Quote:
But how will ArtFire help to bring buyers?

Not only do you get all of those features, but we spend money to advertise this site to buyers. How much? Well, we are budgeting 7-10 million dollars on advertising in the next 12 months.

We’ve already locked up the back cover of Craft magazine for the next two years. In addition, we have also purchased numerous display, broadcast and web ads, as well as over 75 million views of ArtFire ads on websites such as Facebook, Mother Jones!, Google, various blog sites, “green” webzines, arts & crafts webzines, and many other channels in the last 100 days. We will continue to buy advertising and increase that budget every month for you. Our site traffic has grown more than 3,000% because of this marketing.