Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-21, 10:08pm

I love the video that you added as a bonus! I hope I'll be able to look at it again, after I try this out. I've bought silvered glass over the years but haven't done anything with most of it. The colours you get out of the glass are gorgeous & I'm so glad you made this tutorial.
Bravo Dawn!

ginger
Old 2013-05-21, 10:16pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Thank you so much, Ginger!
And yes, you can click that video link and watch it as many times as you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-05-21, 10:27pm

yipee! Colour me estatic!
Old 2013-05-22, 1:42pm

These are from my first day with the tut.

The first ones came out nice
The second not much color.
The third, FAIL. But I never got much out of Terra.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-22, 2:22pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
These are from my first day with the tut.

The first ones came out nice
The second not much color.
The third, FAIL. But I never got much out of Terra.
I'm so excited to see some photos!

First photo: Gorgeous!!

Second photo: Could just be the batch of TAG glass you have. (I've found TAG to be very inconsistent batch to batch, but it's always beautiful.) I'll bet that batch you have would look good using the same technique, but on a black base because it would show up more of the blues and greens in the middle layer. I still think they're pretty just the way they are!

Third photo: It's a little hard to see for sure, but the beads look a lot smaller than the ones in my notes. (Mine were big, about 19mm round.) Maybe the smaller ones might need just a little bit of striking after the initial heat and cool, just to brighten the colors a bit before the encasement.

Thanks so much for sharing your results!

Old 2013-05-22, 5:05pm
Knob Creek Glass

The tutorial is wonderful. I am making my list for glass that I need (er want). Thank you.
Old 2013-05-22, 5:14pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much, Barbara! I know you'll have fun with it.
And what better way to justify a glass shopping trip!

Old 2013-05-22, 6:35pm
offically down under

I am convalescing and thought it would be a good idea to perk me up and buy the fab tutorial. I've read every word and now I'm kicking myself because, despite how I feel, I want to go and torch.

Old 2013-05-22, 7:02pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I am convalescing and thought it would be a good idea to perk me up and buy the fab tutorial. I've read every word and now I'm kicking myself because, despite how I feel, I want to go and torch.
Awww..Thanks so much, Tammy! I hope you're feeling better and back at the torch real soon!

Old 2013-05-23, 8:36am

Thanks Dawn, just JUMMIE, best tut ever.... '-)
And so much info... lol were to start????
It's pitty that I can't get DH clear Aether at the moment here in the Netherlands... I love to start with the jummy green lentils

A Tutorial I reccoment everyone.
Old 2013-05-23, 4:33pm
Jacqueline Parkes

My new favorite tutorial! This bead is inspired by Dawn's tutorial with my own twist to it.

Old 2013-05-23, 5:58pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christelli View Post
Thanks Dawn, just JUMMIE, best tut ever.... '-)
And so much info... lol were to start????
It's pitty that I can't get DH clear Aether at the moment here in the Netherlands... I love to start with the jummy green lentils

A Tutorial I reccoment everyone.
Thank you so much for the sweet note!
I'm so glad you like it!

Old 2013-05-23, 6:00pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
My new favorite tutorial! This bead is inspired by Dawn's tutorial with my own twist to it.

Absolutely beautiful, Jacqueline!

Old 2013-05-23, 6:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

thank you!

Old 2013-05-24, 1:47am
all for the love of glass

Just purchased Dawn..I won't get in to the studio for a couple of days but I'm looking forward to it!

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2013-05-24, 4:20am

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you had a tut for sale Dawn! So excited I had to buy it straight away.

It's fabulous. Love the photography, the note-taking style, all the information, everything!!

Can't wait till Tuesday when I can play

Thanks heaps for all your hard work putting this together, it's a wonderful tut!
Old 2013-05-24, 7:57am

This tutorial is amazing. I have always loved your work and followed the free silver thread for years. But I love this tutorial and cannot stop staring at the pics. Silver glass has always been frustrating to me so I am excited to have this. Cannot wait to buy some more glass (great excuse) and try some of these.
Old 2013-05-24, 8:44am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks so much for all the nice notes! I'm just so happy that you guys are enjoying the tutorial!

Old 2013-05-24, 10:31am
Sheila Davis Designs

I am loving this tut! I got my new glass and played with some samples yesterday. I think I need to change my temp on the kiln...mine is at 930.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-24, 10:40am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
I am loving this tut! I got my new glass and played with some samples yesterday. I think I need to change my temp on the kiln...mine is at 930.
Awesome beads Sheila!

Why do you think you need to change your kiln temp?

Old 2013-05-24, 11:02am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Awesome beads Sheila!

Why do you think you need to change your kiln temp?
I'm still not getting the vivid colors like in the Color Series beads. What do you think?

Old 2013-05-24, 11:14am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
I'm still not getting the vivid colors like in the Color Series beads. What do you think?
Well, my Color Series beads go in the kiln looking about the same as when they come out. Because most of them are encased, they don't really strike or change in the kiln.

It's hard to tell from the photo. Maybe I could get a better look at the one's your talking about? Tell me what you used for the base, what you decorated them with and what you encased with.

Old 2013-05-24, 11:25am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
Well, my Color Series beads go in the kiln looking about the same as when they come out. Because most of them are encased, they don't really strike or change in the kiln.

It's hard to tell from the photo. Maybe I could get a better look at the one's your talking about? Tell me what you used for the base, what you decorated them with and what you encased with.
I used Effetre black base, Raku frit, that's the blue one towards the left, Multicolor Dark frit and stringer for the purply ones, and encased with the Reichenbach clear.

Old 2013-05-24, 11:35am
Sheila Davis Designs

Here's a close up I took with my phone.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-24, 12:42pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Here's a close up I took with my phone.
Awesome! Now I can see them and knowing this is MCD, I'd say they look the way they're supposed to. Are you using 96 COE MCD? That's what I use and I don't think I've ever tried the 104 COE version encased.

I usually only sprinkle a few MCD beads into a set to punch up the "Red" factor. In this photo, I've circled the few MCD beads I added. These are Effetre black base, 96 COE MCD decorations, encased in Reichenbach Crystal.

And in this set, I used 96 COE MCD for the raised bands and because it's left raised on the surface, it goes from a really weird color when I put it on, and turns a nice purple in the kiln.

Old 2013-05-24, 1:39pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Dawn! I am using 96 coe MCD, so I'll keep going and try the other colors too.

Old 2013-05-26, 7:11pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Just bought the tutorial, OMG Dawn, your beads are just absolutely stunning! I can't wait to play tomorrow!

Funnily enough I noticed a few techniques I have been trying out in the last couple of weeks in the tutorial, it seems great minds *do* think alike .

Old 2013-05-26, 8:32pm
Dix Harrison

Dawn:

I decided to start with the first Dalai Lama beads in the tutorial and work one color at a time. [I had DL opaque rods on hand.]
I got great color results and made 8 beads in the first session. After I opened the kiln, I found four of them had cracked vertically -- in line with the mandrel. I have zero experience with the "forensics" of cracking. However, I suspect I spent too much time gawking at color and checking out the evenness of the clear encasement before putting the beads in the kiln to anneal. I was REALLY surprised that FOUR beads had cracked.

Any thoughts?
Old 2013-05-27, 9:27pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
Dawn:

I decided to start with the first Dalai Lama beads in the tutorial and work one color at a time. [I had DL opaque rods on hand.]
I got great color results and made 8 beads in the first session. After I opened the kiln, I found four of them had cracked vertically -- in line with the mandrel. I have zero experience with the "forensics" of cracking. However, I suspect I spent too much time gawking at color and checking out the evenness of the clear encasement before putting the beads in the kiln to anneal. I was REALLY surprised that FOUR beads had cracked.

Any thoughts?
Yay for the color, but bummer about the cracks!

Just curious, what clear did you use to encase with?

It does sound like maybe the bead had cooled too much before putting it in the kiln though. (I gawk at mine too!) Just make sure after you're done admiring it to heat it up to a nice little glow before sticking it in the kiln.

Old 2013-05-27, 9:31pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Just bought the tutorial, OMG Dawn, your beads are just absolutely stunning! I can't wait to play tomorrow!

Funnily enough I noticed a few techniques I have been trying out in the last couple of weeks in the tutorial, it seems great minds *do* think alike .
Thanks so much, Robyn!
I know that "great minds think alike" thing happens all the time!